£550 insurance for a 125????

Pbassred

My wife passed her CBT and bought a Keeway K-light. £2300 brand new. https://www.keeway.co.uk/model/Keeway-K-Light-125

The trouble is the insurance quotes are coming back as £550.

She' in her 40s, no convictions. 4 years ago someone ran into her car - not her fault.

The price comparison sites are coming back as £300 until you call them. Their database says that its an automatic transmission. When she says that its a manual (they only make a manual), they put the price up.

Is there a way around that?

You've got to love the five year payment plan . Have you seen the state of one of these things after five winters ?

Find an insurance company that doesn't think it's an automatic . They must be thinking it's a scooter with a similar name .

My CBR125 was 350 Fully comp.

Find an insurance company that doesn't think it's an automatic .
Well yeah, but if they all use the same wrong data, then what?

On my 600 the insurance for a year is on £183 but that also covers my bloots gloves lid and leathers! Thats shocking for just a 125, could it be your location maybe?, im with Hastings Insurance.

That’s about right for the first year and the value/condition of the bike. If it was an old inexpensive 125 it would be less but the accident stats are against you, especially in the first 3 months of ownership of a new bike.

In 2017 I paid £525 for the year on my new 125cc and that was the lowest I could find. At the renewal a year later (when your chances of having an oops have come down considerably) mine dropped to £125 and on a new 1200cc was still only £180.

You have to get past the first year.

I posted a link somewhere on here where you can get seperate in insurance to cover your excess, get a quote with the maximum excess then see how much it is to cover the excess separately.

My CBR125 was 350 Fully comp.

Find an insurance company that doesn't think it's an automatic .
Well yeah, but if they all use the same wrong data, then what?

Then you won't be able to find one .

I can only assume it's because it's new but £500 for fully comp on a 125 when she's just done her cbt isnt unusual!

I got quotes of £350-450 fully comp on a 2015 CBR, Im a 30yr old female with a clean/full car licence. In the end i was a cheapskate and went with TPFT at £170. Get the first year no claims is the hope and then add fully comp on instead.

Im with Hastings who are competitive but poor customer service for basic enquiries so wouldnt recommend unless you do just want a cheap quote.

Have a look at Wicked Insurance, not seen them on comparison sites but they are bike only insurers and a few friends recommend.

I like that type of shape of a bike its nice very nice . . My Mrs got a sinnis 125 its 64 plate no CBT no claims fully comp £171 . Shes 46 .So I guess it's the new bike mind we insured it for £1200 even double it is not £500. I think look around .

In the end:- She went to a local broker call Wicked Quotes went fully comp and some extras for £430 ish. Yes its because its a new model of bike with no history.

In the end:- She went to a local broker call Wicked Quotes went fully comp and some extras for £430 ish. Yes its because its a new model of bike with no history.

A lot of owners had the same problem early last year with my bike. Either the insurer refused to offer a quote outright, or the quotes given were significantly higher.. more often than not triple the usual amount for the new bike compared with the standard. and all because it was a new model with zero history or any kind of risk assessment.

Sometimes it can pay to play a waiting game when a new model is released, not just because of insurance but also, i believe, its often best to allow other new owners to be the guinea pigs if any major fault appears and the bike is recalled.

Deffo using Wicked on renewal. Heard only positives!

Have you checked their assumptions? Make sure you clarify some of them after you get your quick quote

You are the registered owner of the motorbike

You will not carry a pillion passenger

The motorbike is not modified

Less than 3000 miles will be ridden each year

Use is ‘Social Domestic and Pleasure’ unless it is a courier quick quote

All Motorbikes have a mechanical lock and bikes 600cc or over have an electronic immobiliser

Motorbikes valued at £20,000 or over have a BikeTrac Fitted

You have held the best licence available for your age group for at least one year

You have lived in the UK since Birth

You are a married home owner and are employed in a low risk occupation

You have no motoring claims or convictions

We estimate the age of the vehicle if not searching using a registration

edit: just done a quick quote and before I change some of the assumptions they're still more expensive than my Hasting Direct renewal

A lot of owners had the same problem early last year with my bike. Either the insurer refused to offer a quote outright, or the quotes given were significantly higher.. more often than not triple the usual amount for the new bike compared with the standard. and all because it was a new model with zero history or any kind of risk assessment.

Sometimes it can pay to play a waiting game when a new model is released, not just because of insurance but also, i believe, its often best to allow other new owners to be the guinea pigs if any major fault appears and the bike is recalled.

I had the exact same thing happen with my bike this time last year!, it’s a new model so all the bike insurers were rubbish!, either no quote or I think one of the worst was £1500 TPO!, managed to get it sorted for a sensible price and my renewals seem ok too.

Having the same thing with the recalls though!, it’s got to go in at the weekend for the 3rd set of recall issues and a service, I really should have known better buying a new model of Ducati!, it was a heart over head moment but other than the recalls and the insane amount of heat it kicks out, the bike has been awesome.

My first year quote was 800 FC from MCE woth 1k excess on a cb125f.

Having played about on compassion sites my renewal will be about 650.

I really wanted to do my DAS but it seems there's no point. Any bike I've looked at 500-650cc is well over a grand in insurance.

Weirdly a cbr125 or rc125 is £100 cheaper to insure!