Reversing brake pistons

fastbob

Right , this isn't my idea . I've seen a post on another forum where someone has got pitted brake pistons and has suggested putting them back in backwards with the open end inwards and the shiny closed end outwards . My first reaction was No ! But is this as daft as it sounds ? The fluid volume would increase but I can't see that the hydraulic force would be reduced ( or would it ? ) Obviously the rough bits would have to be cleaned up to avoid damaging the seal on assembly but after that they wouldn't be a problem. What do you think ?

I have a feeling the shape of the pistons are designed that way to try and dissipate some of the heat! and turning them around would make that useless

Also as [mention]Westbeef[/mention] says if they are pitted they won't seal

you would have more chance of the pitting coming in to contact with the oil seals

If its pitted it's not going to seal, surely? Clean up the faces so it doesn't wreck the seals but its gonna leave little crevices for fluid to seap through.

Yes but if you turn it round only the good bits are in contact with the seals .

I have a feeling the shape of the pistons are designed that way to try and dissipate some of the heat! and turning them around would make that useless

Also as @Westbeef says if they are pitted they won't seal

you would have more chance of the pitting coming in to contact with the oil seals

On my Suzuki I would agree but on my ER there are removable plastic plugs in the open end of the pistons .

Also as @Westbeef says if they are pitted they won't seal

On my Suzuki I would agree but on my ER there are removable plastic plugs in the open end of the pistons .

Yes but plastic doesn't conduct heat as good as metal :)

I’d just buy new pistons. They aren’t usually that expensive and of all the places to skimp on spending brakes ain’t one of them!

Ah, but there comes a time when you need to save a few pennies....have you seen the price of coffins these days?

The bloke on the other forum ( ER5 ) has ordered new ones after all . Personally I think it was a daft idea .