Broke pannier lid, best next move

Hi All,

I dropped from a bit too high one of my OEM VFR1200 pannier and the lid broke. Coupled to the other pannier already damaged after an unfortunate move in a camping that scratched and cracked it (the trees fault, not mine :P ): I cannot really use them anymore and superglue did not work. The hard sad fact is that those OEM panniers cost a lot $$$$

Here are the solutions I thought about and investigating. My apologises if I sound like a complicated biker :mrgreen: :

. DIY fix. Superglue as mentioned did not work at all. Nor the duck tape (current temp fix) works. The issue is not only visual, but also practical, I cannot close easily the boxes and it's getting worse as little bits fall off from time to time, plus waterproof is no longer.

. Get a pro to fix just the lids or make new ones: lids-only-fix businesses I found were in the US or Switzerland. If you know someone in the UK, I am listening. Although I wonder if it would really be cheaper than getting new OEM set.

. Buy non-OEM panniers (soft or hard, does not matter to me). Can become an expensive option as well for hard side boxes, and involves mounting bars for both soft and hard. And here the issue becomes visual. A sport-tourer with those bars is painfully ugly to see. Unless you know of some discreet/designed systems or maybe something very simple to take on/off.

. Give up on panniers and add second dry bag on the sit behind

Any solution you could think of maybe? Thx

thanks for the new ideas.

Not sure how to add strips of metal and rivets.. I believe the lids can be taken off, I will double check later.

As for the glues you linked, I will inspect the damage see if its worth it. I shall certainly let you know the outcome :) .

pit

if the breakage is down to "little bits" as you mention keep falling off, I probably wouldn't waste any more time on them. I certainly wouldn't trust them again.

I rather like the original panniers for my Honda.. but at the same time i know from reading owners experiences that they are fragile. they don't cope well with side impacts. So.. carefully does it. The main plus from my point of view is that they do not require frames and do not add anything to the overall width of the bike. Thats important to me and why I will be getting them in due course. in the meantime a dry bag will have to do.

you have on advantage over me.. your bike can carry throw-overs without risk of contact with the exhaust. and in your position I would be looking into them, with a suitably cavernous dry bag across their top.

Edited by Gerontious

This is what yer wsnt:

http://www.repairingproducts.co.uk/product/plastex-standard-kit-plastic-acrylic-repair-kit/ :thumb:

They even sell something similar at Screwfix......

Or get some S/H panniers......

Let us know how you get on.....

Any idea what it's called at Screwfix Speedy?

Think it's something like PlastiWeld.. they did send me one of their interminable emails which I naturally deleted and, as expected, can't find again but it does definitely exist. Usual 2 part mixture, powder and liquid. Sprinkle powder into the area to be repaired then add liquid.

you have on advantage over me.. your bike can carry throw-overs without risk of contact with the exhaust. and in your position I would be looking into them, with a suitably cavernous dry bag across their top.

That sounds one very good alternative. I actually found this: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/403863?r=GS&gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTRr4nb0_nOjQi7WEBe8AKLctFBE8tFv_McO2YXbgqDxPEAf_PqY59xoCTN8QAvD_BwE

Might even work for you (damn, you bought my kid dream bike ;) was another model in the 80s though)

pit

That sounds one very good alternative. I actually found this: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/403863?r=GS&gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTRr4nb0_nOjQi7WEBe8AKLctFBE8tFv_McO2YXbgqDxPEAf_PqY59xoCTN8QAvD_BwE

That kriega (or 3 kriega bags attached to each other) is smaller in volume to the bag I have bought and larger in width. It's also £180 more expensive. My bag is 49 litre and cost me £58 and fits perfectly lengthwise from the front edge of the pliion seat to the end of the luggage rack. All I had to add was a cargo net for £6 and I'll probably give it a bit extra security with a bungee.

Other difference is my bag can double up as a holdall. and I can fit a pair of size 12 shoes across its width. Which is important to me as I don't want to spend an entire week away wearing bike boots... especially at night chilled out in the bar.

https://tinyurl.com/yyhlnvnt price has since risen now the sales are over.

That kriega (or 3 kriega bags attached to each other) is smaller in volume to the bag I have bought and larger in width. It's also £180 more expensive. My bag is 49 litre and cost me £58 and fits perfectly lengthwise from the front edge of the pliion seat to the end of the luggage rack. All I had to add was a cargo net for £6 and I'll probably give it a bit extra security with a bungee.

Other difference is my bag can double up as a holdall. and I can fit a pair of size 12 shoes across its width. Which is important to me as I don't want to spend an entire week away wearing bike boots... especially at night chilled out in the bar.

Kriega bags are "reassuringly expensive"... very well made and the 20L bag will also become a holdall or a backpack. But I mainly bought them for the ability to get them quickly on and off the bike if commuting. I can see how your solution works well for a bit of touring.

Kriega bags are "reassuringly expensive"... very well made and the 20L bag will also become a holdall or a backpack. But I mainly bought them for the ability to get them quickly on and off the bike if commuting. I can see how your solution works well for a bit of touring.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Motech Blaze saddle bags and the Kriega US 20L + US 10L. As you say, the Kriega are easy to get on and off the bike, and the 20+10L would also provide three different options in terms of volume (10, 20 and 30L). Expensive, but tempting nonetheless.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Motech Blaze saddle bags and the Kriega US 20L + US 10L. As you say, the Kriega are easy to get on and off the bike, and the 20+10L would also provide three different options in terms of volume (10, 20 and 30L). Expensive, but tempting nonetheless.

I've got the Kreiga bags (one 20ltr and two 10 ltrs) to supplement the top box on my Tiger. I highly recommend them but as [mention]raesewell[/mention] says they are not as secure as hard boxes, but are much more versatile.