Tourer for Oldies ?

gogs01

I've had a lot of bikes over many years, including GPZ Kawasakis, ZZR1100, GTR1000, Yamaha FJR1300 and, most recently, four BMW R1200RTs.

I've gone abroad every year for the last 30 years. Since I retired, I've gone more often and done more miles. The R1200RTs have been perfect for this purpose. 8-)

As old age creeps up, :shock: I become more concerned about managing such a heavy bike at very low speed, or just pushing it about and I now find myself considering the possibility of replacing the R1200RT with something lighter and easier to manage.

I don't want to give up my trips abroad yet, so can anybody recommend a light, comfortable bike which will happily take me on a 3000+ mile trip around Europe ? It doesn't have to be as powerful or fast as the R1200RT, but bear in mind there are roads in Europe with 140kph speed limits. I do more riding off motorways than on, so it's not as if I'm flying about at maximum speed all the time, but I do like to be able to keep up with the flow. :D A 200+ mile tank range would be nice, but not essential. :lol:

Only bike I can think of and recommend as a lightweight tourer with a 200 mile tank. And my measure of a tourer is the ability to carry full luggage. Good seat comfort. Screen. Good instruments that will give a you good indication of the state of the fuel tank. No chain to worry about. Low centre of gravity and exceptionally light feeling, because all the bikes weight (except the battery) is below the seat, including the fuel tank. Centre stand as standard. Top speed 124' so will happily sit at 80+ for hours on end. Popular bikes that have been around for 12 years now and are way past the usual "new BMW model problems" phase)

F800ST or the newer GT.

Only bike I can think of and recommend as a lightweight tourer with a 200 mile tank. And my measure of a tourer is the ability to carry full luggage. Good seat comfort. Screen. Good instruments that will give a you good indication of the state of the fuel tank. No chain to worry about. Low centre of gravity and exceptionally light feeling, because all the bikes weight (except the battery) is below the seat, including the fuel tank. Centre stand as standard. Top speed 124' so will happily sit at 80+ for hours on end. Popular bikes that have been around for 12 years now and are way past the usual "new BMW model problems" phase)

F800ST or the newer GT.

Now that's an interesting suggestion ! :)

There's an unregistered F800GT SE in my local Motorrad dealer. Black Storm Metallic. Looks nice. I should get myself a test ride on one of these - you never know ..... :D

I’m going to also suggest that you might want to have a look at hondas vfr 800 or nc750 as I know the nc750x is quite frugal on the juice and a friend swears by his vfr 800 for touring as it’s a shaft driven bike

Honda Cross runner , my dad has one , he's fooking ancient now .... always had big heavy tourers,and wanted something lighter same as yourself .... the Cross runner is light , has all the luggage, and is more than capable , good tank range it's ideal, we go abroad every year .

... I've got a test ride booked on the new V850TT Guzzi in early April......will report back on what it's like.....

They're nice looking bikes, so I look forward to reading your report. Thanks :)

Honda Cross runner , my dad has one , he's fooking ancient now .... always had big heavy tourers,and wanted something lighter same as yourself .... the Cross runner is light , has all the luggage, and is more than capable , good tank range it's ideal, we go abroad every year .

I don't know much about the Crossrunner - I'll have to do some research. Thanks. :thumb:

... I've got a test ride booked on the new V850TT Guzzi in early April......will report back on what it's like.....

If you want something a little smaller and less weight the V7 range of Guzzi’s are worth a look too