Sourcing Panniers

Hi folks,

I'm trying to source out panniers for my bike (2013 Honda CB500X), planning on doing a few trips this year but struggling to find a set of panniers that wont break the bank.

Now ignoring the price and manufacturer, here is the style I'm looking for: https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/1476-givi-trekker-outback-37-ltr-side-cases-obkn37apack2/

So pretty much:

- Hard case.

- Opens from the TOP and not the SIDE.

- has fixed strapping points (Not necessary but desireable)

- Oh and the price . . . Panniers and rack for less than £300 would be ideal.

I've tried looking on Gumtree - nothing, and I've also tried ebay to find second hand items but ebay is not what it used to be, you look up panniers and it's all full price brand new items sold by small companies/businesses.

Any help would be appreciated otherwise, I'm gonna have to fork out £750 according to the above website (tried explaining that to my missus - like talking to a brick wall, she's not having any of it)

you're only going to find second hand for £300.

top opening panniers are only available as far as I know in aluminium. and are usually fitted to frames that are 'permanent' is that what you want?

I can see why people want top loaders. but i treat my panniers as 'suitcases' which i remove from the bike to load and unload. anything I need to get my hands on quickly. I do not keep in the panniers.

so.. for £300 or less you are going to have to move your goal posts somewhat. and even then the bulk of that cash will need to be spent on the frames to hold them. even before you start looking for the panniers themselves. your only aternative is to set up a search on ebay for a full set, frames and panniers for your specific bike. and hope for the best.

one of the cheaper pannier makers is SHAD.. and frames for rigid panniers from them start at £130+ https://tinyurl.com/y2s82lqq

an alternative is this from Givi £385 the pair. plus the fixtures.

givi_luggage_hard-cases_trekker-33_trk33pack2.jpg.e3be8b1d3e4216a03d7c72c40fbd5b26.jpg

Edited by Gerontious

you're only going to find second hand for £300.

top opening panniers are only available as far as I know in aluminium. and are usually fitted to frames that are 'permanent' is that what you want?

I can see why people want top loaders. but i treat my panniers as 'suitcases' which i remove from the bike to load and unload. anything I need to get my hands on quickly. I do not keep in the panniers.

so.. for £300 or less you are going to have to move your goal posts somewhat. and even then the bulk of that cash will need to be spent on the frames to hold them. even before you start looking for the panniers themselves. your only aternative is to set up a search on ebay for a full set, frames and panniers for your specific bike. and hope for the best.

one of the cheaper pannier makers is SHAD.. and frames for rigid panniers from them start at £130+ https://tinyurl.com/y2s82lqq

Thank you very much, I've just found exactly what I need :D and at the right price too.

Thank you very much, I've just found exactly what I need :D and at the right price too.

I think we deserve details - and a photo would be nice. :mrgreen:

I didn't screenshot the receipt for obvious reasons but this is what I've ordered and it was within my £300 budget which is an absolute bonus.

Panniers.thumb.jpg.7b8e2ed7cf0573e6fc29623a92ae140b.jpg