Selling my bike

fastbob

Ok so I've just put my gsxr on Gumtree again and within half an hour I have had a reply from someone using the email address lisamcn who is buying it for her nephew without coming to view it . She has agreed to the full asking price and wants to pay through PayPal. She has asked for my postcode even though she knows I am in Coventry to get a quote for a removal company to collect the bike . Oh yeah, she apparently works as a ships steward and is currently at sea. Anyone smell a scam ?

Wow , cheers for the rapid and unanimous response. Suffice to say I haven't given any details away .

Have some fun with them , keep replying with silly questions :thumb:

Wasnt there a scam using paypal that went like this IIRC.

Buyer pays for goods via PayPal.

They collect goods from your home.

They then say they have never recieved goods and claim a refund from PayPal.

PayPal pay them back and claim money back from seller.

Buyer has goods and money, job done.

Saw it on watchdog or something, guy sold a Porsche bumper and despite cctv of the seller being at his house PayPal found in buyers favour.

Seller was £600 out of pocket and no bumper.

As soon as I said I wanted cash and that I would only text my postcode on the day of the sale it all went quiet . What a crock of shit .

Thinking about it, I'd be dead worried about giving out my post code if selling a motorbike. Not sure what real alternatives there are, mind, but it's a great was to enable thieving scrotes to target your steed.

Thinking about it, I'd be dead worried about giving out my post code if selling a motorbike. Not sure what real alternatives there are, mind, but it's a great was to enable thieving scrotes to target your steed.

When I met the guy selling what is now my bike, we met in the forecourt of a BP garage. When we rocked up he apologised for making us meet him there but he was a bit wary of giving people his home address. I did pick the bike up from the address stated on the V5 a couple days later (as he realised I wasn't a scammy bast*rd at that point!) :lol:

When I met the guy selling what is now my bike, we met in the forecourt of a BP garage. When we rocked up he apologised for making us meet him there but he was a bit wary of giving people his home address. I did pick the bike up from the address stated on the V5 a couple days later (as he realised I wasn't a scammy bast*rd at that point!) :lol:

Like it,

Agree to meet at a Police Station with CCTV on the outside !

Yes I was the same selling the 125, I didnt give my address as fortunately he was a friend of a relative so they brought him round! Even when he asked for the address I conveniently forgot to send it :P

I used Gumtree twice and on both occasions almost instantly had a message containing an email address for their dad/nephew or whatever who liked to deal 'direct.' Couldn't quite workout what the scam was but neither contacted me again. What made me suspicious was the fact that these came through within minutes of the add going live. I'm assuming they were just phishing emails.

Like it,

Agree to meet at a Police Station with CCTV on the outside !

I was going to say ok send them the local cop shop post code and meet there BUT that don't help the pay pal scam ..

Glad you spotted it/told us. Cheers

All I had was dopey teenagers asking if I wanted to swap it for a Grom.

I had more than one person ask a couple of reasonable questions and then something ridiculous as a trade, eg quad bike, a car.

I also had a motor dealer contact me and offer me a fifth of the asking price just in case I was desperate.