Please Identify this Bike

Trace Elliott

Hello all,

I'm a total noob both on this forum and on a motorbike, to an extent.

I've driven abroad, but I will now do my UK license, CBT to come in a few days, I need to buy some gear first...

I'll drive a 125 for some time, and have been looking at some bikes. The Mutt Mongrel seems decent, however I have just come across a picture of this Honda, which I find veeeeery nice, but I can't figure out which model it is, whether it's even a custom model or not, or indeed a 125... By the looks of it, it could be a 250 but I'm hoping not.

Image%20uploaded%20from%20iOS%20(46).jpg

Anyway, if one of you fine gentlemen or ladies with a keen eye could give me some info on that bike, it would be awesome. And if you can tell me where to find one around London, that would probably qualify as a small miracle, and you would have my eternal gratitude.

Thanks everyone, happy riding to all! And wish me luck for my CBT if you've got time...

This is one for [mention]Snod Blatter[/mention]

Im guessing its a modified/revamped 250. of the CB variety. maybe an import thats been resprayed and given a new seat.

Kickstart and rear drum... Snoddy will be over excited!!

Honda CB400SS, Japanese domestic market and therefore quite rare here as they're all imports. Happily you can buy a mildly updated version because they were all made at Shineray in China as the XY400 which is now being sold in this country as a Mash 400, Jawa 350 OHC, Francis Barnett and whatever else.

Doesn't help you though does it? :lol: There are plenty of fancy looking GS125-based bikes out there though, the Mutt isn't the only one - how about a Sinnis Bomber? Or a Bullit Spirit?

Gerontious - I'd bloody love a CB400SS, wanted one for years. I'd basically be Steve McQueen!

Haha :lol: , [mention]Gerontious[/mention] was right about [mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] !

I did have a look at the Bullit Spirit, very nice as well! Any advice on reliability vs Mutts?

Thanks a lot for the great and quick replies, they explain why googling "Honda classic 125" did me no good!

I'll just daydream of that CB400SS in the meantime...

Of the classic looking bikes.. Especially from the 1990s Japanese domestic market. The only one I remember well enough to be able to summon it's name from the cobwebby nether regions of a failing memory is the Kawasaki Estrella. There was a feature on it in one of the mags at the time with the reviewers very excited by it. But sadly it never reached these shores officially.

Far too small for me, but lovely to look at.

Kawasaki Estrella, Honda GB250 (dressed up CBX250RS!!), Yamaha SRV250.. There was probably a Suzuki version as well. They keep all the best stuff for themselves, CB400 Super Four with VTEC also springs to mind.

As for the 125s I really have no idea on build quality, Mutt have had issues but all manufacturers seem to have blips in quality at the lower end of the market. Sinnis are a mixed bag, some are good and some bad - it depends who Sinnis are buying the particular model from. As for Bullit I can't remember anyone ever mentioning them..

Kawasaki Estrella, Honda GB250 (dressed up CBX250RS!!), Yamaha SRV250.. There was probably a Suzuki version as well. They keep all the best stuff for themselves, CB400 Super Four with VTEC also springs to mind.

As for the 125s I really have no idea on build quality, Mutt have had issues but all manufacturers seem to have blips in quality at the lower end of the market. Sinnis are a mixed bag, some are good and some bad - it depends who Sinnis are buying the particular model from. As for Bullit I can't remember anyone ever mentioning them..

I had a bullit 250cc just one minor issue other than that it was a good capable bike and well built

Thanks for all the advice, it's well appreciated!

I had a look at all the bikes you mentioned, the Estrella and Honda are beautiful, but no two seem to be the same. Were most of those versions offered by the manufacturers, or are they one-offs customised on order? I'm confused that there can be so many different versions of the same model. Like the picture of the CB400SS i originally uploaded. I find similar bikes, but not the exact same. Man it's much simpler with cars :mrgreen:

The bike in your picture has had a new rear light unit, indicators and saddle...all universal "custom" type bolt on stuff. Paint scheme looks original, though.....

I have a Mutt. Rode it on Monday, as it emerged from its duvet clad slumber I was realised I’d forgotten what a nice looking bike it is. Easy to ride and learn on.

Rode it all through last winter with no problems, still looks like new.

As with all Chinese bikes it’s the electrics that are considered dodgy (never had a problem myself). It’s worth dabbing some grease on anything that looks exposed and a good coating of ACF50 will keep it looking good- that goes for herald and mash as they have similar build quality.

Mutt were nice to deal with, very helpful. Switched the nobblies to road tyres (still with a great old school tread pattern) and when I asked for a longer front mudguard they made one for me quickly, colour matched it and posted it for £100.