ABS or no ABS

RAYK47

Looking at street triples at the moment, in preparation for passing my test (however long that may take). However the ABS models are pretty scarce pre 2013, this led me to consider a non ABS model. Costs of a decent triple in that age is about £4.5k.

Now I get that I am a noob and my current bike does not have ABS but it is only a 125 so probably not really needed. But is it worth considering a non ABS model or should it be the first thing a noob like me looks for?

What are people's thoughts on ABS? Good bad experiences, times it saved or hindered you etc. Anything specific that is useful to know.

ABS adds value to a bike. When you come to sell it.

ABS does nothing in normal circumstances. It only has to save you once to pay for itself. It can turn an "Oh my god!!!" Moment into nothing at all... A non event. It can help a lot in normal riding, in the wet and on particularly dodgy surfaces. Like at junctions, white lines, over banding, salt/grit piled up in winter. And so on.

Is it worth having? Definitely. You don't really want to be making a claim so early in your riding career due to getting braking wrong, which is easily done especially in a panic. Or with inexperience on a new bike.

You've just entered the world of big bikes, while you are always learning and improving your riding I think the first year is the most crucial.

Get the ABS. Spend that extra coin for your safety, or the very least peace of mind.

There's a reason training schools use ABS bikes only for MOD 1 these days....

Difficult one, this.... back in the dim and distant, no bikes had ABS, but we all (well mostly) managed to survive.

Having said that, ABS has its uses - of that there is no doubt. It will prevent wheel lockups and enable control to be maintained in marginal situations when otherwise it would have been lost. Interestingly, most people, when the SHTF, still revert to the "oh feck" response and haul on the brakes, shut the eyes, and hope for the best. Attended quite a few RTCs where the pulsating skid marks led straight to the point of grief, when possibly the vehicle could have been steered away from it.

Very few riders actually try their ABS out on a loose surface and consequently don't know how their bike - or themselves, for that matter - will react in extreme situations. Many have never seen it actuated at all.

Bear in mind that it is a rider AID - you still have to ride the bike. There was one noob on here who was obsessed with "traction control" - just assumed it would save his ass when all else was lost. Well it won't. It just helps to keep it in one piece.

So, while ABS is undoubtedly useful, I wouldn't regard it as a deal breaker. But it's your call in the end.

Edited to add: On balance, having read Gerontious and Elizabeth's posts.... probably better to have it than not.

It definetly helps for your peace of mind, especially when you have to break in the bends(which you shouldn't in an ideal world). If the bike comes with it, it's a bonus!

Thanks all. I was leaning towards an ABS model.

Arguably a triple is not the ideal first big bike but I have fallen for them and unless a test ride completely changes my mind I am convinced the triple is for me. However I will be test riding a number of different bikes to make sure.

ABS adds value to a bike. When you come to sell it.

ABS does nothing in normal circumstances. It only has to save you once to pay for itself. It can turn an "Oh my god!!!" Moment into nothing at all... A non event. It can help a lot in normal riding, in the wet and on particularly dodgy surfaces. Like at junctions, white lines, over banding, salt/grit piled up in winter. And so on.

Is it worth having? Definitely. You don't really want to be making a claim so early in your riding career due to getting braking wrong, which is easily done especially in a panic. Or with inexperience on a new bike.

Very sensible advice!

Thanks all. I was leaning towards an ABS model.

Arguably a triple is not the ideal first big bike but I have fallen for them and unless a test ride completely changes my mind I am convinced the triple is for me. However I will be test riding a number of different bikes to make sure.

I went pretty much straight onto a Triple (don't ask!), and I'd say it's an absolutely perfect first bike. Light, manoeuvrable, and quick when you want it to be whilst being very stable and easy to handle at slow speeds. It's a wonderful bike.

I wouldn't say a triple is the worst first bike :)

I went pretty much straight onto a Triple (don't ask!)

No need to ask, the evidence is here :lol: :lol:

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=68238

This is the very reason I am looking to go straight to a triple. Was also looking at MT-07 but the problem is I know deep down I want a triple and won't be happy if I don't

I don't have ABS (still on my first big bike) but if I could I would. It was on my desirable list but it just so happened a great bike and a great price without it came up.

Ignore anyone who claims that you can stop quicker on a non-ABS bike. Any time I've seen the "evidence" it's based on perfect braking by an expert who of course is aware they need to brake as hard yet progressively as they can on a good surface. The 'perfect world' scenario that we don't exist in.

I wouldn't say a triple is the worst first bike :)

I went pretty much straight onto a Triple (don't ask!)

No need to ask, the evidence is here :lol: :lol:

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=68238

This is the very reason I am looking to go straight to a triple. Was also looking at MT-07 but the problem is I know deep down I want a triple and won't be happy if I don't

I had an Mt07 as my first bike. I did almost 1000 miles on it until it got traded for a street triple 765 RS. Best thing I ever did. The MT was good but the Triple is better in every other way.

Just treat it with respect and you'll be fine.

Good luck with the tests, get those out of the way first before worrying about what bike you want.

I’ve had ABS for nearly 4 years, I’ve only felt it activate 3X

Once when I first got the bike when I stamped on the rear brake to see what happened.

The other 2 times I reckon I’d have gone down without it.

So it’s 👍 from me.

If I saw a bike and fell in love with it and it didn't have abs , I'd buy it for sure

Don't get me wrong abs is a bonus , but as some one said we all managed before with out it .

Guest Richzx6r

I'm not sure abs would have made any difference yesterday for me but you never know it might have been different as said it's a bonus if it has it and if I'm not misguided I'm sure all newly built bikes are abs compulsory but I may be wrong, anyway it shouldn't be a deal breaker if the one you fall in love with doesn't have it

They took a two stage approach, which added up to the same thing.

ABS must be standard equipment on all bikes over 125cc from 2016. And must be fitted to all new registered bikes from 2017 aside from 125cc bikes.

Of course there is nothing to stop you disabling it if you don't want it and in most cases that's fairly simple to do. The sensor ring, usually on the back wheel is now normally part of the speedo/ODO. So is often seen on older bikes where ABS was an option. And cannot be removed.

I've had ABS since 1997 on a bike and it's saved me several times over that 22 year period. The only time it didn't save me was when I went into the side of a car in the Black Forest. And that time it didn't engage, fact was the car pulled out right in front of me and there simply wasn't enough stopping room.

I'm really quite glad that ABS has become mandatory because over the years I have seen so many accident reports where if the rider had had this on their bikes, nothing would have happened. Maybe not every single time... But a lot of them.

When I see posts about ABS creating longer braking distances.. Which occasionally it does. What they tend to forget is that this is because the system engaged and continued to engage over a distance. And for any rider with normal skills, this would almost certainly have meant an "off". With all the pain, anguish and expense that can involve. It adds a few £100 to the price of a brand new, or nearly new bike. Offset that against the effect of an insurance claim on your next renewal. Loss of NCB. And the higher risk bracket you will be shoved into and all that goes with that. As well as, perhaps losing something that you have had to work towards, save for, get into some debt and struggle for, to buy.

If not got ABS on my bike but my brow in law does and when we out riding he seams to slow down a lot faster then me and when I need to slow down fast the back end locks up so i think its a good idea . There have been 2 or 3 times when i had to slam on the brakes at that feeling !! at that moment he realised he's f**ked up !! and the back up has locked up and if stopped or let off the brakes and went round ( DPD van decided not to wait in traffic when do a 3 point turn just as i was 2 car leanths away from him standard bollocks I didn't see you cos you didn't fecking look ) and i wondered how the feck I didn't hit him. I think ABS would have helped a lot .

So next bike I get I want ABS..

If I saw a bike and fell in love with it and it didn't have abs , I'd buy it for sure

Don't get me wrong abs is a bonus , but as some one said we all managed before with out it .

never had a bike with abs :?