Regaining Confidence

emmajaneg

Thank you! Had a few rides out on fast roads, I just have a problem with wind again,

Cut out the baked beans before ridding. :seeya:

There is so much good and varying advice about what to do after an off, all of it here is good.

I had a nasty high side in the mid 2000s the Fireblade I was riding at the time spat me off in a roundabout- it hurt a lot!, shattered my collarbone into 5 pieces and needed it plated(stupidly I picked the bike up after then thought my arm doesn’t feel right!).

I found the best way to get over the psychological side of getting back on the bike was to get on it as soon as I felt strong enough and absolutely ring it’s neck, not always the best approach but it worked for me!, although, to this day I won’t use Bridgestone tyres!.

Loads of good advice already, just wanted to add one more comment to say that I'm really sorry you've had an off, that alone really sucks.

I think I was 6 months in when I first binned mine and I remember the feeling after really really well.

Like others have said, keep your head up; fixation is still something I find myself occasionally doing and it makes just a huge difference just to look that bit further down the road.

My other little bit of advice, and I hope this isn't too controversial, is when you're finding yourself starting to panic just force your body to relax and 'slump' a bit.

I've had two offs which were with corners, one was panic breaking and locking up the front which sent the bike and me cartwheeling, the other was a lowside on a roundabout where we both just slid a little.

If I'm now entering a corner and start to worry I've gone in too hot (and so feel myself starting to stiffen up) I force myself to relax my whole body and 'slump' into the corner.

Disclaimer: I do not mean go boneless and fall off :shock: ! Just relax yourself to lean your body. Going stiff will cause the bike to want to stand upright too.

Final note, there are bikers that have dropped it and those who are yet to drop it. You're in good company here and you're not alone in how you feel. Most of us have been there at some point and I hope that helps to reassure you in your feelings about biking at the moment. :thumb:

Thank you for the advice! I do tend to talk to myself a bit, and I do tell myself to loosen up when i tense up a bit. I always feel like I’m going to slip :(

And I’m sorry, but I can now imagine somebody just slumping off their bike because they don’t wanna take a corner 😂 I’ve been quite miserable with all of this, so thank you for making me laugh!

I know just what you mean about talking to yourself when you ride, I'm looking forward to when you have your confidence back and tell us that you're now singing in your helmet too! :D

I also constantly worry about slipping, especially mid-corner I worry about the tyres just losing their grip / connection to the road. I have to tell myself that I have to trust the bike, I have to trust that she will stay connected to the road and handle the corner.

If nothing else, it's far less damaging (both for rider and bike) to lowside than highside midcorner!

Personally, if I've really over cooked a corner and it's going to go tits up, I would much rather the bike fall on it's low side and we both slide until we stop, rather than snatching the brake / going stiff and the bike 'bucking' and high-siding!

So just relax and put your trust in your bike. Added to this you will eventually get to know your bike so well, it will become second nature to react to how she feels and you'll recognise small quirks that will make you a better rider.

Really glad I've made you smile, I know my wording was daft and I did consider changing it, but I know after my big horrible off, it was the love and the humor of this forum that got me smiling again and started the recovery from it all.

Hehe I love this forum, it’s been the best therapy for me! I do struggle with the bike to be fair, I’ve never really had any connection with my bike since my first one got stolen. And plus I’m on a hire bike 😂

Thank you! Had a few rides out on fast roads, I just have a problem with wind again,

Cut out the baked beans before ridding. :seeya:

Dammit, I knew this joke would make an appearance again 😂😂

What about going on a trackday? Would that be a good idea or not? Maybe novice only day at an easy to learn track?

Never really thought about that to be fair, sounds like an idea

Guest Richzx6r

Thank you for the advice! I do tend to talk to myself a bit, and I do tell myself to loosen up when i tense up a bit. I always feel like I’m going to slip :(

And I’m sorry, but I can now imagine somebody just slumping off their bike because they don’t wanna take a corner 😂 I’ve been quite miserable with all of this, so thank you for making me laugh!

I know just what you mean about talking to yourself when you ride, I'm looking forward to when you have your confidence back and tell us that you're now singing in your helmet too! :D

I also constantly worry about slipping, especially mid-corner I worry about the tyres just losing their grip / connection to the road. I have to tell myself that I have to trust the bike, I have to trust that she will stay connected to the road and handle the corner.

If nothing else, it's far less damaging (both for rider and bike) to lowside than highside midcorner!

Personally, if I've really over cooked a corner and it's going to go tits up, I would much rather the bike fall on it's low side and we both slide until we stop, rather than snatching the brake / going stiff and the bike 'bucking' and high-siding!

So just relax and put your trust in your bike. Added to this you will eventually get to know your bike so well, it will become second nature to react to how she feels and you'll recognise small quirks that will make you a better rider.

Really glad I've made you smile, I know my wording was daft and I did consider changing it, but I know after my big horrible off, it was the love and the humor of this forum that got me smiling again and started the recovery from it all.

Hehe I love this forum, it’s been the best therapy for me! I do struggle with the bike to be fair, I’ve never really had any connection with my bike since my first one got stolen. And plus I’m on a hire bike 😂

A hire bike eh......did you know they are the fastest bikes in the world :lol:

A hire bike eh......did you know they are the fastest bikes in the world :lol:

Definitely feels like it, I got to 75 mph on mine 😂