Vincent

gogs01

I was driving on the dual carriageway from Perth towards Dundee today when I saw a single headlight in the rear view mirror. When the bike caught up it nipped past pretty swiftly and I couldn't make out what it was. :?:

I could see it was shiny and on a 66 plate, in cafe racer style with the rider leaning over the tank to reach the clip-ons. I picked up the pace and managed to get alongside long enough to see what looked like "Vincent" on the tank and confirm that the engine looked like a Vincent V twin. It had a big drum brake at the front and the frame (or lack of it) made me think it might be an Egli or similar. Not the kind of thing you see every day ! :shock:

Must keep an eye out in the hope of seeing it again ..... :thumb:

A 66 plate Vincent. I thought they stopped making those decades ago

No... its easy enough to buy one new in 1000cc or 1200cc

If you have the cash and the patience to wait while its hand built.

17648934998_77d8a5cc93_z.jpg.d9f6268df15c3b135fca2c900574b792.jpg

One sold at Auction for about £30,000 not all that long ago.

Its not unique.. you could have a brand new Brough if you're so inclined. (not made in Nottingham though)

1.thumb.jpg.41a56ad984486d8d6ab3e0cdc06e70a7.jpg

Maybe I've seen it too . I was on the A9 near Perth about five years ago heading south when a guy in full period riding gear on a Vincent shot down the slip road at 100mph + and left me standing . I tried to match his speed just to get a better look but he just went faster . I was cold and tired with luggage on board and although I should have been able to keep up , I just wasn't in the mood . This guy was weaving around the traffic like it was a series of stationery obstacles. He was wearing a pudding basin helmet and goggles , a brown leather long coat , gauntlets and very tall lace up boots . I think the bike was a standard Black Shadow . So , who knows, maybe it was the same bike and rider or maybe it was a ghost !

Maybe I've seen it too . I was on the A9 near Perth about five years ago heading south when a guy in full period riding gear on a Vincent shot down the slip road at 100mph + and left me standing . I tried to match his speed just to get a better look but he just went faster . I was cold and tired with luggage on board and although I should have been able to keep up , I just wasn't in the mood . This guy was weaving around the traffic like it was a series of stationery obstacles. He was wearing a pudding basin helmet and goggles , a brown leather long coat , gauntlets and very tall lace up boots . I think the bike was a standard Black Shadow . So , who knows, maybe it was the same bike and rider or maybe it was a ghost !

Could be the ghost of my uncle, he went to Scotland on a Vincent and never came back.

..... He was wearing a pudding basin helmet and goggles , a brown leather long coat , gauntlets and very tall lace up boots . I think the bike was a standard Black Shadow . So , who knows, maybe it was the same bike and rider or maybe it was a ghost !

Maybe a ghost, definitely not the same bike and rider.

The riding gear was modern, complete with rucksack.

The bike looked shiny and new and certainly didn't look like an original Vincent. It was a modern "special" and must have cost a fortune to build. :)

..... He was wearing a pudding basin helmet and goggles , a brown leather long coat , gauntlets and very tall lace up boots . I think the bike was a standard Black Shadow . So , who knows, maybe it was the same bike and rider or maybe it was a ghost !

The bike looked shiny and new and certainly didn't look like an original Vincent. It was a modern "special" and must have cost a fortune to build. :)

So are we saying it's ghost rider :tumble:

So are we saying it's ghost rider :tumble:

Well, he was riding like his arse was on fire .

17648934998_77d8a5cc93_z.jpg

Its not unique.. you could have a brand new Brough if you're so inclined. (not made in Nottingham though)

1.jpg

That second bike is one cool looking thing 8-) .

Were Vincents the thing to have back in the day?, I remember getting told at length by my dad how he got a black shadow only for his dad to make him take it back!.

1.jpg

Were Vincents the thing to have back in the day?, I remember getting told at length by my dad how he got a black shadow only for his dad to make him take it back!.

Either he didn't want him to die or he saw the hire purchase agreement .

1.jpg

Either he didn't want him to die or he saw the hire purchase agreement .

I’ve got no idea, probably the former though!, I remember my dad telling me about what an awesome bike it was at great length, can’t help wondering what he’d make of my current bike if he were around today.