Sky sports TV

Smithers

I know most people on here are more than likely into Moto GP and BSB racing (myself included); But, I'm also interested in F1 and test cricket which have slowly and surely been gobbled up by sky sports. Remember the days when BBC2 would show tests in this country from dawn till dusk and every F1 race would be free to view. Not anymore folks, you have to pay big bucks to Sky for the same privilege. I refuse to subscribe to sky, and come to that any other cable channel, it's expensive, you have take crap in the packages you don't want and if you want to get out, it's worth than trying to leave the EU! (oops sorry) :oops:

And yes before anyone comments, I do squeak when I walk!

I wasn't chuffed to find out that Ch4 can only show one GP live this year (British GP) at least that's some consolation.

Totally agree, I got rid of cable TV (and landline) last year, costs constantly creeping up and most stuff was crap and have to pay more for anything decent.

Now only subscription I've got is eurosport and that covers WSBK, BSB and snooker which is all I really care about, also have kodi for the *cough* other bits with a €8/90 days premium stream subscription.

If you then add on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc etc it starts to add up!! :shock: I used to have UFC fight pass and WWE network at £9.99 a month each as well until I got rid.

I also have a trial of youtube premium that is running out in a couple of months that is £11.99 a month to keep. Wife and kids use it all the time with their google home hub so I guess that one will have to stay :lol:

I heard that last race, so just signed up to SkyF1, £10/month for 2 years. Cancel anytime.

Sounds cheap but put another way that's £120 just to watch 1 season of F1 (take it they will charge for months F1 isn't on still) when it used to always be free.

In comparison eurosports sub which gives me both channels plus extra streams for £30/year.

@Via so is the f1 on eurosports?

No :( Just used as example of difference in price between that and 1 channel for just F1.

Unfortunately as [mention]megawatt[/mention] says it is the only legal option if you now want to watch F1.

Not condoning piracy but can understand when sky etc... are charging such ludicrous prices, I can imagine broadcasting rights for F1 are not cheap but does it really cost 4 times what it costs Eurosport for everything that broadcast.

Personally haven't really watched F1 since it moved to sky. I've been Silverstone to watch it years ago which was brilliant atmosphere and unbelievable just how much noise they make, but on TV I barely used to stay awake a whole race anyway :lol:

I forgot to mention, Radio 5 live extra broadcasts all the live F1. Practise, qualifying and race. Great value for money but no pics. I will have to use my Bluetooth headphones more often this year.

:|

• 2 weeks later...

We have Virgin cable, we have BTsport for the bikes,

we have 2 boxes, 1 in the lounge, 1 in the bedroom.

The costs keep going up!

It was £90+ per month :shock:

I've recently been on the phone and threatened to leave

so it's gone down to £70+ per month.

Better but still ridiculous

The costs keep going up!

I agree :shock:

My wife's brother used to pay for the complete package on his Virgin TV for the living room box and his bedroom and the kids room :shock: even with some sort of loyalty discount etc he was still paying out something ridiculous like £140 a month :roll:

The costs keep going up!

Horses for courses really. If you've got the spare cash and won't miss it, why not indulge. As for your monthly outlay rennie, that's way out of my league. :violin:

Parents have Bt Wifi- so naturally we have BT Sport which is brilliant for Moto GP, Champions League football and Premier League football. I use NOW TV to watch sky sports, and signed up for £19 a month for 10 months. I was going to sign up anyway for £30 a month but just before i did this deal popped up so i'm relatively content with what I pay :)

A bit off topic to the original thread, but I've recently become a subscriber to Netflix. Actually I'm on a 30 day free trial and then after that the basic package at £5.99 a month. Unbelievable amount of choice, problem is my TV is not getting used now. Which comes to my next question; Is there a way I can stream Netflix onto my TV via my PC?

A bit off topic to the original thread, but I've recently become a subscriber to Netflix. Actually I'm on a 30 day free trial and then after that the basic package at £5.99 a month. Unbelievable amount of choice, problem is my TV is not getting used now. Which comes to my next question; Is there a way I can stream Netflix onto my TV via my PC?

Do you not have a smart TV or freeview box with the Netflix app on?

Do you not have a smart TV or freeview box with the Netflix app on?

I don't know if my TV is smart or not. It has a USB port on the side and it has built in Freeview.

[mention]Hoggs[/mention]

TV not a smart one I gather. I'm not really into techy stuff, but do I need a dongle to plug into my TV's USB port? I'm not sure how that works but doing a bit of googling in between watching F1 highlights, it looks as though a dongle will connect to Wi-Fi and therefore possible to stream Netflix. All too complicated for my non tech brain. How would it connect to my account though? Sorry If I sound thick (cos I is) :oops:

well you can connect your PC to the tv and use it a a second screen. Or look in to a roku streaming thing it has a Netflix app on it and you'd just log in with your account. We have one to watch Now tv on

You could possibly use a Wi-Fi stick but I think you'd have to install a browser or something and I don't know enough about that to be helpful :mrgreen:

[mention]Hoggs[/mention]

OK thanks! I'll just have to do a bit more looking around. I'd rather sit in front of my TV in comfort than plonked in front of my laptop screen. I think Netflix is the best thing I've come across so I don't mid spending a few bob to watch it in comfort. 8-)