ride over to kirby lonsdale

skyrider

this afternoon I decided to have a ride on the serow over to Kirby Lonsdale (devils bridge) and even though it was sunny it was still a bit cool and perhaps I should have worn my textile pants instead of the Kevlar jeans anyway when I arrived there was more bikes than I expected, so I sat on the wall and had a bacon and egg roll and a coffee and noticed that there was nobody jumping off the bridge into the river that will probably change when the weather warms up a bit :)

I pass through Kirkby Lonsdale on my way to Scotland but I never realised it was a bikers destination. Next time I'll remember to stop off for a bit . Is there anywhere I should look out for ?

there are a lot of bikes gather at the bridge at weekends and people have canoes on the river and sometimes some scuba diving, worth stopping for a brew and a look at all the bikes if nothing else :)

Edited by skyrider

The A683 from Kirby Lonsdale through to Sedbergh and beyond is a popular biker's road. The old bridge over the Lune (Devils Bridge) has loos on one side and a typical cafe caravan on the other. The cafe side has a small parking area where bikers can often be found.

Does anybody know a good B&B or pub in the area? Quite fancy a ride up there but not there & back in 1 day. Done the A65 a few times, but mainly W. Yorks to Barrow area. Some very good biking roads in that neck of the woods......but I suppose it's also heavily policed, these days :(

Thanks for the replies, I've just had a look on Gmaps . I must have just stayed on the A65 which skirts around the town on the south side. Mind you, last time I was there I didn't stop until I reached Bridge of Orchy later in the same day . I really must try to take time to stop to see stuff but once I get my touring head on there's no stopping me .

Thanks for the replies, I've just had a look on Gmaps . I must have just stayed on the A65 which skirts around the town on the south side. Mind you, last time I was there I didn't stop until I reached Bridge of Orchy later in the same day . I really must try to take time to stop to see stuff but once I get my touring head on there's no stopping me .

Have you ever done Dumfries & Galloway? Some really nice places round there....... good bimbling roads, coastal routes, etc. Stranraer is a bit strange now that all the ferries have moved across to Cairnryan - but lots of nice, cheap places to stay...... at the moment.

Have you ever done Dumfries & Galloway? Some really nice places round there....... good bimbling roads, coastal routes, etc. Stranraer is a bit strange now that all the ferries have moved across to Cairnryan - but lots of nice, cheap places to stay...... at the moment.

I always think about it but something just takes over and I always end up going all out to get directly to my favourite place which is Arisaig or Back of Keppoch to be exact . After a night camping there I'm ready to head up to the Highlands and Islands .