Cyclists

manxie49

Well come on, you know that's not accurate and you're bending the situation to your argument.

If a cyclist is going along and there is a hazard in the road they need to avoid, they are entitled to the full width of the lane the avoid that hazard.

If I do a lifesaver and you're there itching to go past me, what am I meant to do? Brake to a near stop? That's probably more hazardous all round.

Anyway, I'll play your game. What do you think is a safe passing distance from a cyclist travelling in a straight line at various speeds (20mph, 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph)

You have every right to sue a cyclist (or pedestrian for that matter) that causes damage to your vehicle.

... Wish I'd known this 7 years ago :roll: Whole bike right off that I took the price of cos I was only on 3rd party, fire and theft and was told that as it wasn't another vehicle involved, there was nothing to be done.

Anyway, I'll play your game. What do you think is a safe passing distance from a cyclist travelling in a straight line at various speeds (20mph, 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph)

As wide as possible because they are likely to swerve unpredictably to avoid whatever they see at the last moment with zero consideration for what's behind them and an entitlement mindset.

IMG_20190315_114450.thumb.jpg.d9da03c1e705b2e1a6bbf48bcea3f6c3.jpg

You have every right to sue a cyclist (or pedestrian for that matter) that causes damage to your vehicle.

If they give you correct details!!

Unlike the prick that rode in to the side of our door on the car and gave the wife false details leaving us with a nice big deep scratch and dent to get repaired!

Unlike the prick that rode in to the side of our door on the car and gave the wife false details leaving us with a nice big deep scratch and dent to get repaired!

See also: car drivers

what about them? at least they have a reg plate which more than likely points you in the right direction

what about them? at least they have a reg plate which more than likely points you in the right direction

A quick Google gives you the answer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+accident+driver+gave+false+details&oq=car+driver+false+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.6353j0j7&client=ms-android-wileyfox&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

And that's before you factor in car park dings. Someone once remoulded the nearside wing of my car in The Mall Cribbs Causeway car park in Bristol. It wasn't a pedestrian or cyclist... (There would have been a fair bit of blood) Cost me several hundred pounds to sort. And I keep saying one benefit of driving the old car we own now is that I can just shrug car park dings off, even if they are still annoying.

And... What about the thirty odd quid that is added to every insurance policy to cover uninsured drivers?

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+accident+driver+gave+false+details&oq=car+driver+false+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.6353j0j7&client=ms-android-wileyfox&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

And that's before you factor in car park dings. Someone once remoulded the nearside wing of my car in The Mall Cribbs Causeway car park in Bristol. It wasn't a pedestrian or cyclist... (There would have been a fair bit of blood) Cost me several hundred pounds to sort. And I keep saying one benefit of driving the old car we own now is that I can just shrug car park dings off, even if they are still annoying.

And... What about the thirty odd quid that is added to every insurance policy to cover uninsured drivers?

But as I said if it had been a car I would have at least had a reg number as a way to find them with police help!

anyone can give false details but theres not many cars not registered in the right name and address with a cyclist you have nothing but hoping they are honest!

That's a bit two wrongs don't make a right as an argument. Not all drivers are honest so no point making cyclists in anyway accountable, rather than we should look to have systems in place to make all road users visibly accountable/ identifiable and then police the systems.

My argument wasn't about two wrongs making a right. It was more that registration plates (other than the fact that every country that has ever introduced them have got rid of them) aren't some magic problem solver that people seem to think they are. And I'm not massively convinced it's a big problem anyway. I'm well aware that others here disagree, but compared to the costs of damage caused by motor vehicles (both covered via insurance and the drive offs) it's tiny.

The closest thing we have in this country to registration marks on bicycles is London Hire Bikes. Every single bike has a registration number stamped on it, directly traceable to the person that hired it at the time. A FOI request a few years ago showed that no-one had requested the hirer details due to an incident.

The lack of requests for information could be due to a number of reasons, the visibility of the numbers, lack of general knowledge that they exist and could be used and the high number of thefts of hire bikes in London. Number plates are certainly not a Panacea but if people are aware they are visibly identifiable it may go someway to people taking some responsibility for their behaviour and the way they ride. All largely moot as not going to be introduced anytime soon.

Number plates are certainly not a Panacea but if people are aware they are visibly identifiable it may go someway to people taking some responsibility for their behaviour and the way they ride.

I'd argue that if this is the case you would have a better standard of driving than what we observe on the roads on a daily basis :cry:

Number plates are certainly not a Panacea but if people are aware they are visibly identifiable it may go someway to people taking some responsibility for their behaviour and the way they ride.

I'd argue that if this is the case you would have a better standard of driving than what we observe on the roads on a daily basis :cry:

Standard of driving is generally poor but nothing in comparison to standard of cycling, at least in London. I think it's all hampered by a lack of policing. However the fact that people can be ticketed for parking, speeding, running red lights, blocking junctions is somewhat a deterrent. Where is the deterrent for cyclists who behave without consideration?

My argument wasn't about two wrongs making a right. It was more that registration plates (other than the fact that every country that has ever introduced them have got rid of them) aren't some magic problem solver that people seem to think they are. And I'm not massively convinced it's a big problem anyway. I'm well aware that others here disagree, but compared to the costs of damage caused by motor vehicles (both covered via insurance and the drive offs) it's tiny.

The closest thing we have in this country to registration marks on bicycles is London Hire Bikes. Every single bike has a registration number stamped on it, directly traceable to the person that hired it at the time. A FOI request a few years ago showed that no-one had requested the hirer details due to an incident.

But I never mentioned about making cyclists have reg plates! I was just making a point about the bell end that ran in to our car and gave us false details!

Don't feel you need to defend all cyclists or any for that matter! there is some decent ones out there and there is a lot of bell ends! same as car drivers, bikers, truckers etc etc

Just a bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss :)

there is some decent ones out there and there is a lot of bell ends! same as car drivers, bikers, truckers etc etc

Not bus drivers though. they're all knobs. :lol: :popcorn:

Totally agree :thumb:

My pet hate is cyclists with no lights on at night. when I was a teenager I got stopped by the police for riding through a park one night because the bulb in my rear light had just blown and I did not want to ride on the street in darkness. I used to build my own bikes, and also got stopped for speeding!!, on a 21 geared racer I built, told me they clocked me doing 40 something in a 40 zone, I replied how could I know what speed I'm doing as I don't have a speedometer? in the end they let me off with a warning. nowadays they just do what they please. a black female in her mid twenties hit me in the stomach with her handlebars on a pavement in Wellingborough, causing me considerable pain, but she just rode off without as much as an apology, as if I was in the wrong for being on the pavement, and it was not any kind of cycle lane. now if I'm walking anywhere and realise a pushbike is on the pavement behind me I deliberately make it hard for them to get round me without having to go where they should be---on the road. Northampton has a traffic free zone in the centre, but it does not stop cyclists bombing through at speed without any consideration for pedestrians, though the police did do a short stint on stopping them and issuing fines. on a final note, as a child I was not allowed to ride a bike until I took the cycling proficiency test, who does that now?

I live too close to my workplace to ride the motorbike and its a 40 minute walk so I use the pushbike. One stretch is a road that Im unhappy about riding on during peak traffic and so I use the footpath, as it runs down the side of a walled former mental hospital, with houses opposite there are rarely people walking that side, but if there are, I always dismount and walk past them. That just seems right to me. I know it irritates me when cyclists ride past me on the pavement and if it irritates me, then Im not going to do the same to someone else. I would never consider riding my pushbike at night without lights, thats just an insane idea. Im always appalled when i see cyclists at night.. normally wearing as dark clothes as possible riding along without a care in the world, effectively invisible.

This all stems back to my cycling proficiency test i did at school. and the 'trouble' i got into once, when a copper spotted me on my bike at the time without lights and accompanied me home for a 'chat' with my parents.

My pet hate is cyclists with no lights on at night. when I was a teenager I got stopped by the police for riding through a park one night because the bulb in my rear light had just blown and I did not want to ride on the street in darkness. I used to build my own bikes, and also got stopped for speeding!!, on a 21 geared racer I built, told me they clocked me doing 40 something in a 40 zone, I replied how could I know what speed I'm doing as I don't have a speedometer? in the end they let me off with a warning. nowadays they just do what they please. a black female in her mid twenties hit me in the stomach with her handlebars on a pavement in Wellingborough, causing me considerable pain, but she just rode off without as much as an apology, as if I was in the wrong for being on the pavement, and it was not any kind of cycle lane. now if I'm walking anywhere and realise a pushbike is on the pavement behind me I deliberately make it hard for them to get round me without having to go where they should be---on the road. Northampton has a traffic free zone in the centre, but it does not stop cyclists bombing through at speed without any consideration for pedestrians, though the police did do a short stint on stopping them and issuing fines. on a final note, as a child I was not allowed to ride a bike until I took the cycling proficiency test, who does that now?

If it had been the other way round you hit her with a car or motorbike you try driving or riding off . The LAW would have you locked up. BUT shes on a bike se cant chase everyone says old bill .

Got to cardiff queens street on any day you will see cyclists riding up and down the pediatring zone no is done . Last year we had a load of ar*eholes on mounting bikes at the top end of queen street doing wheelie and jumps as 2or 3 guys with cameras filmed them . They were doing the wheelies where they ride right at you and swerve the last second. They were doing it to pedestins and then on the main road along side cardiff castle. Ppl called the cops to stop this . I did as well as we was in MacDonald right outside where it was going on they sent to plastic dicks PCSOs who just stood there watching them doing all this dangerous stuff .because they can't do shite PCSOs are useless ..