Filtering and use of bus lane

Marino

Just wonder who on this forum filter through the traffic and who don’t. Anywhere town, a roads, motorways.

Asking, as often can see motorcyclist patiently waiting behind the cars. I am originally Mediterranean and it is just normal there to squeeze between cars, and that habit I brought here with me.

Now, it is not illegal maybe someone will say it’s rude or something.

Interested in forum thoughts and opinions. Maybe I should correct my behaviour?

As well use of bus lanes during operating hours, for motorcycle is legal so I do use it, sometimes some people wave and make faces, so far I didn’t care. :up:

I always filter and always use bus lanes when allowed, in winter they have roofs and heatung but have to be stuck in traffic which is nasty in summer, we dont have roofs and heaters so colder in winter but great in summer and we dont have to stay in traffic, stuff em haha.

Pros and cons of cars and motorbikes there just jealous 👌😁

Just......be careful. Not all bus lanes are available to motorcyclists, so be sure to check the signs. But it is amazing how many people do not use them during permitted hours. Filtering.......you'd be daft not to, but NEVER up the very inside* and everywhere else, eyes on stalks, please.

(*The traditional location where pushbikers collect their Darwin Awards, especially approaching junctions on the left. But there again - evolution in action!)

Yes I filter but self preservation makes me do it more cautiously than others. I go with the pilot mindset. f I don't know where I'm landing I won't take off. I don't gamble on there *maybe* being somewhere to pull back into the traffic flow ahead.

There's not many places for me to practice filtering in between lines of traffic so I do that exceptionally cautiously.

I go with the pilot mindset. f I don't know where I'm landing I won't take off.

Very commendable but

https://www.thelocal.de/20190325/british-airways-flight-ends-up-in-edinburgh-instead-of-dsseldorf

:lol:

Well, I'd argue the pilot knew full well where he was landing and executed that very well

Guest Richzx6r

From my days as a city and distance motorcycle courier I filter and use any available bus lane but I am vigilant for metal sheep and pedestrians doing something they shouldn't, I did the courier work for 6 months without an accident so it worked for me

Using the Bus lane is entirely dependent on where you live. Some places its allowed, in others you are taking a risk of an NIP dropping through your door as some areas are more than happy to place a camera on the lane to catch people out. Hitherto its been illegal to use Bus lanes here in Nottingham and i know of two stretches that are monitored by cameras. But.. finally this may be about to change as there is currently a 2 year experiment in force on one arterial road. Just a case of waiting and seeing how that pans out.

I use bus lanes all the time whether I'm on the bike or not!

As for filtering it depends where I'm going/what I'm doing!

Most of our bus lanes get you to the front so no need to filter if it's just a little bit of slowish moving traffic I usually sit in it if there is no bus lane if there is a long queue then I will filter when it's safe to do so!

I'm never in a rush to get anywhere so I can afford to take a jolly I also very rarely commute on the bike

You can use the bus lanes in Swindon but if you're not used to doing so it can feel really strange overtaking everything on the left hand side. Of course it's not all plain sailing because , believe it or not, they are full of buses . Also, you have to think further ahead than usual when making a right turn at a junction on dual carriageways .

Horses for courses really. I'll filter and lane split if I feel it's safe and if it's going to save me enough time to make it worthwhile. When I can legally use bus lanes I do especially if the traffic is otherwise very slow.

Filtering all the time as I don't understand when I see bikers sitting in traffic ?????even when its raining but the worsed is hot sunny days sitting in a traffic jam (road works ) when there is nothing coming the other way for a few minutes anyway .Yet still sit an wait . If see learners do it and as I pass them I'll wave like follow me and a few have some still sit there . One the best parts about riding a bike is filtering .

In Edinburgh so using all the bus lanes, all the time and filtering when the bus lanes are blocked. People genuinely don;t check their mirrors here though so I've always got to be on the lookout for people turning left into a side street and just cutting across me completely - stay out of those blinds spots!! :thumb:

I go with the pilot mindset. f I don't know where I'm landing I won't take off.

Very commendable but

https://www.thelocal.de/20190325/british-airways-flight-ends-up-in-edinburgh-instead-of-dsseldorf

Well, I'd argue the pilot knew full well where he was landing and executed that very well

Didn't the pilot query that Edinburgh was slightly off course to Dusseldorf?

I always filter if I think It's safe to do so. I also look ahead for any possible right turnings which a car can suddenly swing into without indicating or looking in the mirrors. There's also the possibility for cars to do a last minute U turn to escape traffic jams. Not much you can do if that's sprung on you just as you're passing. :(

Didn't the pilot query that Edinburgh was slightly off course to Dusseldorf?

Apparently not, the manifest happily listed Edinburgh

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ba-british-airways-passengers-london-city-wrong-airport-edinburgh-dusseldorf-a8839136.html

I always filter if I think It's safe to do so. I also look ahead for any possible right turnings which a car can suddenly swing into without indicating or looking in the mirrors. There's also the possibility for cars to do a last minute U turn to escape traffic jams. Not much you can do if that's sprung on you just as you're passing. :(

Also, there's nothing that's more unsettling to see when filtering than (usually) a van that's lost it's wing mirror glass, or wing mirror completely! :shock:

I don't filter traffic unless it's gridlocked, and then I proceed very cautiously.

I don't use bus lanes. They have different rules, so I just play it safe and don't use.

I remember around 10 years ago I was filtering traffic and some woman pulled out on me without checking her mirror, presumably so she could get a better look in front of her. I swerved, closed my eyes, made a funny face and luckily missed her by inches. Maybe that incident had an effect on me.

I don't filter traffic unless it's gridlocked, and then I proceed very cautiously.

I don't use bus lanes. They have different rules, so I just play it safe and don't use.

I remember around 10 years ago I was filtering traffic and some woman pulled out on me without checking her mirror, presumably so she could get a better look in front of her. I swerved, closed my eyes, made a funny face and luckily missed her by inches. Maybe that incident had an effect on me.

Must say the funny face works for me too :D