Bike-Seal

Smithers

Is this the Holy Grail to Bike punctures? https://rideexpeditions.com/bike-seal-puncture-prevention-review/ My local Honda dealer raves over this product and is recommending it to all their customers.

Reading the review, it sounds mighty impressive. What do you reckon?

I used tyre sealant spray or foam or sealant what ever they call them, and worked good, I still use it on car tyres as got screw when tyre was brand new. Still is there after two years and almost 15 000 miles.

Some say that will stick and damage wheels, I didn’t see any damage on bike wheels, still need to change that tyre on the car to find out.

Some say that will stick and damage wheels, I didn’t see any damage on bike wheels, still need to change that tyre on the car to find out.

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55966

That right there was some but not on the wheel but on the tyre, it stuck to the tyre like glued.

That right there was some but not on the wheel but on the tyre, it stuck to the tyre like glued.

Really the first pic is of the damage to the wheel?

I reckon this exciting new NASA developed wonder cure for punctures sounds an awful lot like the fibrous stuff I used to flog a Halfords cycle department 20 years ago. :-)

That is the wheel not the tyre!

Here we go again. Why do the makers of this gunk have to try SO hard to sell it ? I couldn't read half of the sales pitch without signing up to newsletter . No thanks . What I did read had a ring of desperation about it .Used by NASA in spacesuits , really ? I seem to recall that a similar product called Ultraseal used to claim that the Lunar Rover used their goo in its tyres . There was actually a picture of it on the box but it was bollox because pneumatic tyres would explode in the vacuum of space . The way this kak is marketed reminds me of these poor buggers who try to flog vegetable peelers at car boot sales .

Is this the Holy Grail to Bike punctures? https://rideexpeditions.com/bike-seal-puncture-prevention-review/ My local Honda dealer raves over this product and is recommending it to all their customers.

Reading the review, it sounds mighty impressive. What do you reckon?

Because dealers can buy this muck in bulk and make a tidy profit for performing the "Service" of squirting it into your tyres .

I still maintain that i will never use this kind of product, because if a tyre gets a puncture I want to know about it and deal with it there and then and if by chance that means i have to call out rescue then so be it.

Can the puncture be repaired or is it a "tear' which means that the tyre is compromised to the extent that it must be binned. I want to know.

:stupid:

I'm the same and thats why I have a repair kit and recovery if it can't be repaired

Although I think I need to upgrade my repair kit to the stop n go one as that looks a good bit of kit

One former member (no names) used to get a bit overexcited when I mentioned that puncture repair system.. because Ive treated the repairs as 'permanent'.

Unknown-1.jpeg.df379dd190c1f8918eac6e5c73d6fe6a.jpeg

If after a month the tyre has lost zero air. then thats already 'permanent' six months? a year later? the remaining life of the tyre.. until its worn out? Ive been using that system for many years now and the repairs have all been permanent. Maybe Ive been lucky? but every time Ive plugged a hole. (nail or screw) its gone smoothly and despite regular pressure tests, didnt lose any air.

One year, being mad-like. I plugged a hole and a few weeks later was galumphing round the Dolomites on the same tyre. And didn't even think about it.

The only time a tyre had to be got rid of after a fix was by pure chance and bad luck, the second puncture was a little too close to the first one for my peace of mind. so.. I plugged it and then rode the bike to TMS and got a new one fitted.

I’ve always thought this stuff was a quick repair kit to get you to the nearest garage up to around 50 miles and then you needed a new tyre no matter what cause it had this gunk pumped into it?

One former member (no names) used to get a bit overexcited when I mentioned that puncture repair system.. because Ive treated the repairs as 'permanent'.

Unknown-1.jpeg

If after a month the tyre has lost zero air. then thats already 'permanent' six months? a year later? the remaining life of the tyre.. until its worn out? Ive been using that system for many years now and the repairs have all been permanent. Maybe Ive been lucky? but every time Ive plugged a hole. (nail or screw) its gone smoothly and despite regular pressure tests, didnt lose any air.

One year, being mad-like. I plugged a hole and a few weeks later was galumphing round the Dolomites on the same tyre. And didn't even think about it.

The only time a tyre had to be got rid of after a fix was by pure chance and bad luck, the second puncture was a little too close to the first one for my peace of mind. so.. I plugged it and then rode the bike to TMS and got a new one fitted.

A truly wonderful product - even my non-repaired tyres lose a couple of PSI over a month, so to have a puncture, repair it and then not have any air loss is miraculous, almost worth giving yourself a puncture in the first place !!🤣🤣🤣

A truly wonderful product - even my non-repaired tyres lose a couple of PSI over a month, so to have a puncture, repair it and then not have any air loss is miraculous, almost worth giving yourself a puncture in the first place !!🤣🤣🤣

Apologies for my lack of precision.. shall i clarify?

Two points.

1. I was answering Stu in particular and not talking about this "Bike Seal" stuff.

2. Not miraculous.. I was referring to loss of air "In addition" to the very slight air loss I experience over the weeks and months. The wheels on the GS are really quite well made. Tyres fitted properly with new valves every time. Ive had that bike so long I can predict the very slight loss the tyres have.. usually once every couple of months I might have to give the tyres an extra pound, though mostly I dont bother unless or until the pressure at the rear, in particular drops from 42 to 40. And that loss is mostly caused by the process of testing the pressure!! not because the tyre (or my repair) is leaking.

I get a puncture, I plug it and there has been a consistent result. it has resulted in zero increase in air loss.

which is what I expect... a plug isnt much good if it leaks. thats not really a repair is it?

Thats a temporary "bodge".

Because the repair system i use doesn't leak.. I treat it as permanent.

To be honest, I'm a sucker for stuff that claims to be this good. In fact, I'm having it installed today at the stealership along with the new fogs. All the guff that comes with it, is a few good claims; I.E. it will not corrode your rims, stops rim and bead leaks, it's a mechanical process not a chemical process, it has a freezing point of -35c, if you discover a nail or object in your tyre, you can remove it and the tyre will reseal, the repair is considered permanent providing the damage is no bigger than 15mm Dia (in old money that's .381" amazing). It has been extensively tested by UK, US and NATO forces, it has no shelf life.

And to be even more honest, I'm not paying for it, the stealer is doing it for free. (Probably for the horrendous price of the new fogs) :lol: What's not to like about it? I'll keep you informed in the future if I get puncture that's not made good with this stuff. I do tend to suffer punctures for some reason??

To be honest, I'm a sucker for stuff that claims to be this good. In fact, I'm having it installed today at the stealership along with the new fogs. All the guff that comes with it, is a few good claims; I.E. it will not corrode your rims, stops rim and bead leaks, it's a mechanical process not a chemical process, it has a freezing point of -35c, if you discover a nail or object in your tyre, you can remove it and the tyre will reseal, the repair is considered permanent providing the damage is no bigger than 15mm Dia (in old money that's .381" amazing). It has been extensively tested by UK, US and NATO forces, it has no shelf life.

And to be even more honest, I'm not paying for it, the stealer is doing it for free. (Probably for the horrendous price of the new fogs) :lol: What's not to like about it? I'll keep you informed in the future if I get puncture that's not made good with this stuff. I do tend to suffer punctures for some reason??

Now I feel better

I had simler gunk in my wifes car tyres (old VW beetle ) as they was old wheels the tyres were very thin so after we had this stuff out in when driving on motorway A roads you feel the sloshing around in the handling the car . So we needed new tyres and the dealer refused to fit the tyres because the amount of work cleaning the gunk off the rims . In the end we had to pay can't remember what it was but had to pay extra to get the tyres back on the car . As they taken all 4 the tyres off then told us we can't fit the new tyres on as the won't seal to the rims due to this green shite. Never had it again or anything like it .. get a flat fix it(bike ) or change the tyre (car or fix it )

I reckon I'll save a few bob by getting the local kebab shop to squirt some mint mayonnaise in my tyres . It looks the same , smells nicer and it should work alright because I've convinced myself that it will .

To be fair to the OP he's not talking about that green slime rubbish but something somewhat different although the principle seems to be similar. Can't say I fancy it myself though. The Stop and Go kit sounds worthwhile though.

15mm Dia (in old money that's .381" amazing).

15mm = 0.59” :wink:

Correct! I'm glad you spotted the deliberate mistake. That figure is even more amazing for a repair.