I've got a 1999 Suzuki bandit 600 gsf and when I put the fuel petcock on reserve my bike starts sputtering and losing power, could this be caused from water in the tank as it only happens when using reserves? It still idles fine but when I set off and revs are applied the exhaust makes a belching sound and I have to accelerate really slowly or the engine gets no power. Could do with advice on where to start looking for a solution.

The fuel in the reserve tank can get contaminated with bits of crud, rust flakes etc as it all goes to the bottom. Inside the petcock will be a fuel filter, sounds like the reserve filter has got some debri blocking it.

the long bits sticking out are the filters, the longest one being the reserve one (no its not, its the short one! [mention]fastbob[/mention] )

71T4EYIe0qL._SX425_.jpg.6c830f63615f6b362baffa8c0a200fed.jpg

Edited by Tiggie

Guest Richzx6r

The fuel in the reserve tank can get contaminated with bits of crud, rust flakes etc as it all goes to the bottom. Inside the petcock will be a fuel filter, sounds like the reserve filter has got some debri blocking it.

You got there before me :thumb:

Yeah I thought it would be something like that, just wanted a second opinion, I don't think it's a carb problem as it runs fine normally, and I recently cleaned the carbs and changed the spark plugs, how would you recommend cleaning it or should I just replace it with a new one

the long bits sticking out are the filters, the longest one being the reserve one

71T4EYIe0qL._SX425_.jpg

The shortest one is the reserve .

This may be a daft question but should I drain the tank before removing it? as I'm guessing the fuel will piss out otherwise

Depends how much is in it . You could stand it on end so that the fuel level is below the level of the tap .

Aftermarket in-line filters on these bikes can cause issues as well, they weren't fitted as standard to earlier bikes and you haven't mentioned if there is one. But, if there is, I'd start there. The point at the top about crud blocking the petcock filter is a good one too.

Although this should affect both ON and RES positions on the fuel tap , while you're at it it's still worth checking to make sure the vacuum pipe isn't kinked . By the way does your bike run ok on PRI ( Prime ) position ?

Am sure the 600 Bandit has an inline filter, would start just by draining the carbs one at a time to see what you get out. Saying that i do clean my tank out on my 1200 bandit every year. Not a difficult job, do not over tighten the mount screws. You will probably find sediment in the tank, rust mainly.

Rob B

Am sure the 600 Bandit has an inline filter, would start just by draining the carbs one at a time to see what you get out. Saying that i do clean my tank out on my 1200 bandit every year. Not a difficult job, do not over tighten the mount screws. You will probably find sediment in the tank, rust mainly.

Rob B

No , I don't think it does . The parts diagram shows two internal filters as in the picture posted earlier.

the long bits sticking out are the filters, the longest one being the reserve one (no its not, its the short one! @fastbob )

71T4EYIe0qL._SX425_.jpg

That makes perfect sense because it's lower down where the shit is likely to be.