Upside down forks

Slowlycatchymonkey

Although I don't totally agree with the old saying "those who can do; those who can't teach" there is an element of truth in it.

Errr....I used to be a Fire Service instructor, a gliding instructor and a ROSPA Associate Tutor .... and (despite my best efforts)... I'm still alive and (as far as I know) so are all of my pupils. So I must have been doing something right... :shock:

Although I don't totally agree with the old saying "those who can do; those who can't teach" there is an element of truth in it.

Errr....I used to be a Fire Service instructor, a gliding instructor and a ROSPA Associate Tutor .... and (despite my best efforts)... I'm still alive and (as far as I know) so are all of my pupils. So I must have been doing something right... :shock:

image.thumb.jpeg.8aea2fcdcf606754127a1907d885e808.jpeg

I did say that some I'd met along the way were pretty damned good and it wasn't me who coined the phrase. Professional trainers are often the better ones but in my industry some are a waste of space. For example some years ago I was required to attend a course mandated by the IMO to get a bit of paper. The instructor had never actually performed the operation he was 'teaching' whereas I had done over 70 by this time. What he was teaching was plain wrong and when challenged got a bit upset.

In this case he really couldn’t, he would have been a terrible mechanic. You’d reluctantly hand over something that was nearly done and within moments his Frank Spencer hands had wrecked the lot. On one occasion I was watching on in disbelief while he tried to reassemble something he’d just accidentally pulled apart when I got hit in the eye by a spring :lol:

[mention]S-Westerly[/mention] yer I’ve walked out of one or two but I’d paid for it and wanted the info so 3hrs a week for a term I turned up optimistic he’d got his act together..... heyho :roll:

I did say that some I'd met along the way were pretty damned good and it wasn't me who coined the phrase. Professional trainers are often the better ones but in my industry some are a waste of space. For example some years ago I was required to attend a course mandated by the IMO to get a bit of paper. The instructor had never actually performed the operation he was 'teaching' whereas I had done over 70 by this time. What he was teaching was plain wrong and when challenged got a bit upset.

I’ve been to LOADS of those. Best one though was an ophthalmic tutor we had for a year who had never worked in an eye hospital :roll:

Know where you're coming from....SWerly, in some jobs, if you don't get it right, you don't walk away.... and I know that the maritime environment is not particularly forgiving. Those who choose to work (and live) at sea have my total respect..... you don't get many chances to get it wrong.

At the same time, I would never be dogmatic about being right.... the minute you think you know it all, you have stopped learning. And if you stop learning in a hostile environment, you ain't gonna last too much longer.

So all I can say is "the mind is like a parachute". No, not that "it works best when it's open"...... just that if you don't have it repacked every 6 months, you'll be fecked if you need to use it!!!! :D

Where I used to teach in the fire service, we had practical training facilities where you could practice what you preached. You (and your students!) soon found out if you were talking bollox or not. In fact, you may well have been there - we used to teach a lot of Merchant courses. Does the name "Sir Henry" ring any bells? :thumb:

Sadly I never did a course in Moreton but have done more than a few down at Warsash with Hampshire Fire Service. Got the blistered ear lobes to prove it. :D

Fire courses have always been ones where I feel I've learnt something new and technology and techniques are constantly evolving.

Our fire training when I started mumble years ago was the best, an ex fireman employed by the trust full time and we’d actually have a go at the things we were supposed to do- pulling a patient down the stairs on a mattress (used staff member for that obviously) and discovering just how fricken hard it was to get that thick foam mattress round a stairwell, glad we practised it cos there was a definite method. He’d set fire to huge pans- they were a good 100cm X 100cm and you’d get to pick the right fire extinguisher and put it out. Now it’s online and I can’t tell you a thing that’s on it.