Speeding bluff?

gonzales

Hi all, I got a NIP through the post stating "motor vehicle exceed 70 mph on a dual carriageway" - but doesn't mention how fast I was going.

I've been caught in the past and on my previous ticket it stated the actual speed I was going.

It was a manned mobile unit and I'm just wondering if they clocked I was speeding face on but didn't get my number plate till I'd gone past.

Is it possible they don't have solid evidence of what speed I was actually going and are just bluffing to see if I'll admit to it and pay the fine?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm wondering if it's worth asking them for their evidence or if I'd be opening a can of worms with that request.

Might be a big can of worms if you were doing 140 !😥 I had one recently and the NIP definitely had the exact speed on it but this was from Mercier Constabulary . Was this one you got from the same Constabulary as your previous one ? What I'm saying is , are they all the same ?

They were both from the same constabulary but one was a fixed camera and the other a mobile unit. Trouble is, I'm not sure how fast I was going (could've been tripple figures). I slammed the breaks on when I saw the van and it was two lanes with lots of other traffic so they might not have had an accurate fix on my bike. Plus, I would've been within the limit by the time I went past them (which is when they would have got to see my plate).

And to say I was going in excess of 70mph is not necessarily a fine-able offense until you hit something like 79mph.

On one hand, I could ask them and if they say they don't know the exact speed, then I might be able to get away with it. but on the other hand, they might take a closer look and say, "actually it was over 100mph and we're going to ban you"

Hi there, a couple of observations. Please note that I am not a lawyer

It was a manned mobile unit and I'm just wondering if they clocked I was speeding face on but didn't get my number plate till I'd gone past.

I'm not sure what difference this would make, unless you want to attempt to claim they made up your numberplate and happened to capture your vehicle in doing so

Hi all, I got a NIP through the post stating "motor vehicle exceed 70 mph on a dual carriageway" - but doesn't mention how fast I was going.

[...]

I've been caught in the past and on my previous ticket it stated the actual speed I was going.

[...]

Is it possible they don't have solid evidence of what speed I was actually going and are just bluffing to see if I'll admit to it and pay the fine?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I don't believe a NIP has to state the speed. The Notice of Intended Prosecution is asking you as the registered owner to identify the driver at a particular time. That will probably come next I imagine.

Please note that not providing the identity of the driver is an offence and seen much more dimly than the speeding.

I'm wondering if it's worth asking them for their evidence or if I'd be opening a can of worms with that request.

Either way you have to identify the driver by law. You will of course have a right to see the evidence. I'm going to assume that the manner in which you have posted the question means you know it is you and your vehicle involved anyway?

Beware the perverting the course of justice route because it will end up with a custodial sentence, you will still get points fine ban etc.

They may have your numberplate from one camera and your speed from another.

You will have received a S172 request to name the rider.... DO NOT ignore this, as SSE has said above, penalty worse than the speeding (most of the time!!) 6 points and juicy fine and if you still don't respond - possible revocation of licence. The speeding offence is merely "above 70mph".....it is an absolute offence. The 79 mph you refer to is only an ACPO guideline and is usually the limit for enforcement but strictly speaking... 71mph and you can be done.

So no bluff.... unless you're feeling lucky, punk.....

Beware the perverting the course of justice route because it will end up with a custodial sentence, you will still get points fine ban etc.

They may have your numberplate from one camera and your speed from another.

Yes but he can still vote on behalf of the British people in Parliament when he's let out of prison on a curfew and wearing an electronic tag. (If he's an MP that is). :scratch:

Right, our posts crossed somewhat. Just to pull you up on something you've said -

And to say I was going in excess of 70mph is not necessarily a fine-able offense until you hit something like 79mph.

I have no idea where you have got this idea from.

He's thinking of the 10%+2 that is often quoted as leway they give for equipment and speedo variances. I know technically you can get done at 71mph but I've never seen evidence of it.

They were both from the same constabulary but one was a fixed camera and the other a mobile unit. Trouble is, I'm not sure how fast I was going (could've been tripple figures). I slammed the breaks on when I saw the van and it was two lanes with lots of other traffic so they might not have had an accurate fix on my bike. Plus, I would've been within the limit by the time I went past them (which is when they would have got to see my plate).

On one hand, I could ask them and if they say they don't know the exact speed, then I might be able to get away with it. but on the other hand, they might take a closer look and say, "actually it was over 100mph and we're going to ban you"

My NIP with the exact speed on it was also from a van .

Obviously I never speed. But when I did and got caught by a van it had the speed on it. My friend must have missed the "argh sorry" check box and ticked the "I know better than you" box as they sent him pictures (that I'm in too!) and a "we really recommend you suck this one up mate and take the points and fine because we will f**k you over if you insist on going to court" letter.

i guess my point is... tick the "arg sorry" box and move on.

yeah, I already admitted it was me, and personally I don't see anything wrong with speeding - it's riding too fast for the conditions that's dangerous.

Anyway, I might post on the police forum and see what they have to say for themselves.

yeah, I already admitted it was me, and personally I don't see anything wrong with speeding - it's riding too fast for the conditions that's dangerous.

Anyway, I might post on the police forum and see what they have to say for themselves.

.... Come back with screenshots, I can't wait to see what they say to you :mrgreen:

Anyway, I might post on the police forum

What "police forum" would that be, then? :roll:

That will be the one where the fireman are cleaning thier boots for them and polishing thier truncheons

Anyway, I might post on the police forum

What "police forum" would that be, then? :roll:

That will be the one where the fireman are cleaning thier boots for them and polishing thier truncheons

Copulating onanist. Anyway, I suppose the junior schools are out now.

PS ask your teacher how to spell "their" and about the correct use of plurals......