Suzuki 125 vanvan exhaust muffler

Mattypoults

Hello everyone. This is my first post of many (I hope). I’m getting in touch because I’m desperate for some advice and direction. I have a 2005 Suzuki van van (carb model) for my first bike I love its simple retro styling, easy handling in a variety of weather conditions and it’s economical running. What I dislike is it’s huge can silencer. I have seen many examples on line of retro silencers (not the modern cans available) I’m looking for something that I can attach to the existing pipe. My questions as a completely new biker are:

1 as long as it fits the pipe and can be attached to the frame can I fit any kind of silencer?

2. Do I need to modify anything to the engine or fuel mix?

3. Other considerations?

Sorry if my lack of knowledge makes my question (and myself) look rather daft but I really want to learn and try and do any work myself. I’m a practical guy and hope some kinds advice will point me in the correct direction.

Thank you in advance

Matt

Generally speaking, if you don't want to make it louder but you just want to change the style then no , you don't need to modify the carburettor. It may pop and bang a bit on the overrun but what's not to like about that . 😆

Thank you for your quick response. Yes you’re absolutely right I just want to change it’s looks slightly. So in short if I can make it fit soundly I shouldn’t encounter and problem (exception being the odd pop) or risk of it damaging the engine?

I love the Van Van, but after much mucking about I think those who know them realise that they are that rare thing in that they are as good as you get in factory spec.

You can swap cans but be prepared for serious oil consumption issues. They can go through a lot of oil with none standard systems fitted. There used to be a brilliant forum for them but it seems to have folded which is a shame.

I think the only two mods that really work are to upgrade the chain and fit a one tooth smaller front drive cog.

You are so right about the oil consumption. Being a novice I only checked it recently and was astonished how much oil it had used. Thank you for highlighting the additional modifications I had also read about the small cog to help it speed it up a bit. Shame about the exhaust though. I know it’s a simple 125 but they’re are some really cool custom looks out there and hoped in time mine could be jazzed up a bit.

Sorry, just to add why would it make a bang? Just asking out of amateur curiosity.

Hanks so much.

Because a freely flowing exhaust draws more air through the carb which picks up a bit of fuel that then ignites on contact with the hot exhaust. By the way , nearly all the slip on exhausts on eBay are by GPR . I've got one of these on my ER5 and I can tell you that the quality is excellent.

I love the Van Van, but after much mucking about I think those who know them realise that they are that rare thing in that they are as good as you get in factory spec.

You can swap cans but be prepared for serious oil consumption issues. They can go through a lot of oil with none standard systems fitted. There used to be a brilliant forum for them but it seems to have folded which is a shame.

I think the only two mods that really work are to upgrade the chain and fit a one tooth smaller front drive cog.

What's the science behind increased oil consumption and a non standard can ?

Fastbob very much appreciated. Yes noticed them but wanted something like a short chromed megaphone style.

Thank you for your reply.

Fair enough, here's mine anyway.

Screenshot_20190407-103625.thumb.png.6ad25187d9f14afa53ea5870045671ad.png

I do like is Exhaust but I’m personally not a fan of decals. Of course it’s personal preference though I have heard these are decent with a nice sound. I appreciate your support.

What's the science behind increased oil consumption and a non standard can ?

The science of having done it and found what happens, and it proved to be a common experience by forum members. Something to do with back pressure and the way oil was controlled in the combustion chamber. No idea why though.

I thought we were talking about a small commercial vehicle until I looked it up on Google. I actual quite like the look of the bike and the oem exhaust. :thumb: I wish we had bikes like that when I was a youngster.

I thought we were talking about a small commercial vehicle until I looked it up on Google. I actual quite like the look of the bike and the oem exhaust. :thumb: I wish we had bikes like that when I was a youngster.

It's essentially a Sand or Beach bike for strapping onto the back of your RV . They do seem popular with learners as road bikes . Perhaps the "balloon" tyres instill extra confidence due to their perceived larger contact patch .

It's essentially a Sand or Beach bike for strapping onto the back of your RV . They do seem popular with learners as road bikes . Perhaps the "balloon" tyres instill extra confidence due to their perceived larger contact patch .

They look great. When I started on motorcycles, it was beg borrow and steal to get your wreck fit for dirt biking. No money to spend on fancy bikes then. Come to think of it, not much has changed. :violin:

You'll probably know , there's an extremely similar bike by another of the big four Japanese manufacturers ( I think ) but I just can't remember who made it and what it was called . I think it has a tank that is incorporated into the pressed steel frame . Or did I just imagine it ?

Fastbob very much appreciated. Yes noticed them but wanted something like a short chromed megaphone style.

Thank you for your reply.

Fair enough, here's mine anyway.

now thats a tidy looking can nice and narrow it doesnt have the dimensions of a dustbin like a lot of modern ones :D

You'll probably know , there's an extremely similar bike by another of the big four Japanese manufacturers ( I think ) but I just can't remember who made it and what it was called . I think it has a tank that is incorporated into the pressed steel frame . Or did I just imagine it ?

Can't place it, but then again the Sunday evening service ended up in the pub so several brain cells are not functioning at full capacity. Will ponder in the morning.

Can't place it, but then again the Sunday evening service ended up in the pub so several brain cells are not functioning at full capacity. Will ponder in the morning.

The Yamaha TW200 is similar but it's still not the bike that's lurking in the back of my mind. I think I've sussed it. It was the early incarnation of the Van Van . Behold the 1974 RV 125 .

1987-yamaha-tw200.thumb.jpg.7ff5fd65d386aaeed24b54a872bcb718.jpg

s-l1000.jpg.fc1dd53f949cb6e975719cef8e89ac51.jpg