Moto GP start technique

Pbassred

Why do Riders take so long to put their feet on the pegs after the start? They look like pizza delivery scooters. I'm sure they know what they are doing but I cant see the advantage. Surly there is less control and more air resistance?

I'm not sure, but I think the startline "pizza boy" thing comes from racing in the old 250/125 gp days when the bikes were less stable/controlled in the first 50-ish meters. I seem to recall the likes of Rossi and other older riders do this more than the younger guys.

The leg dangle is apparently to help the bikes turn into the apex. Under hard braking they need the bike as upright as possible and the bike wont want to turn if under hard braking - that's physics but I cant remember the term for it - so a leg/foot shoved into the airstream at an angle will help the bike drop towards the apex. No idea if that's the truth, but that's what the racers say.

Also, sometimes on sketchy surface (starting to rain/drying track/ oil down from previous incident) you can see them running a foot along the ground almost supermotard style, allegedly to feel for grip. That sounds like hogwash to me, but again, that's what they say.

yea and this new idea of hanging their legs out when they are about 50 yards away from a corner what's that all about it looks untidy and I bet it slows them down too :?

"the doctor dangle" Rossi has been doing it for years and others started copying it. Not sure on the science but I'm willing to go with what [mention]winston smith[/mention] said :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

As said about the leg dangle it's to get the bike to start turning when hard on the brakes, the dangled leg acts as an air brake which sucks the bike in that direction slightly, and it is only slightly.

It does work on the road too if you approach a corner slightly hot and on the brakes......erm when you have got the approach wrong lol