Servicing comsumables

winston smith

For the people that do their own spannering, where do you buy you oils, filters, plugs, seals, o-rings etc. ?

There's plenty of eBayers selling service kits fairly cheap, but I wonder about the quality of cheap parts.

Never had a problem. Loads of service kits from loads of suppliers. No problems.. If it bothers you buy OEM parts from a main dealer, pay the extra for peace of mind. Better still, pay way over the odds and get them to do it. My experience is, I can do a better job, coz it's my bike and my life. Been doing it for 42 years and never had a problem.

Wemoto is a good site for servicables :thumb:

Edit: as for O-rings, I bought a big multi size box for about £10 from Ebay years ago and I haven't needed to buy any since

Edited by Tiggie

I do generally use ebay, though I now mostly use https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ for plugs as I hear there are a lot of fakes starting to turn up on ebay and sparkplugs.co.uk is often cheaper anyway!

The last lot of oil I bought was from GSF as they were having a 50% off sale as they are now actually but it seems 10w40 is no longer part of the car scene and therefore no longer cheap. I'm hesitant to try the 5w40, it may have the dreaded friction modifiers..

As for seals, usually ebay but try and get the proper manufacturer's part - at least then you know it'll fit and be good quality. I love some new old stock 8-) I don't really like kits, I've had experience where bits weren't quite right or obviously really cheap.

I will admit to being a bit OCD about fitting parts of known provenance and so I mainly stick to known suppliers. The way I see it is that if I spend my day off servicing a bike I want to know my time and effort are well spent, so a few quid more on bits doesn’t worry me.

NGK plugs , K&N oil filters ( because they have a nut on them so you don't need a special socket ) Halfords oil in the ER and Silkolene in the GSXR , DID chain , JT sprockets , EBC pads , EBC brake fluid and that's about it . Just stick to established brands and you can't go far wrong .

Thanks for the input guys 😀

Plenty of useful info there.

I used to have a group of trusted local suppliers, but having moved to Walsall I have to start again.

Recently car parts suppliers through eBay have proved unreliable and big waste of time and I'd prefer not to have that sort of aggro with the bike.

Many main dealers and suppliers have eBay shops.....so, it just saves you having to make a trip to the dealers to get the bits you need.....obviously there are some fly-by-nights on there....but they're generally pretty easy to spot. And most main dealers have websites where you can order parts and consumables from too.....although, I tend to buy my oil from independents. ....I'm happy to put Motul in my bike.....not fussed that it doesn't say Triumph on the oil can..... :wink: