Bikes with indicators left on.

Smithers

• 1 year later...

I know its an old thread but has anyone tried one of the adjustable buzzer warnings SEE here I bought one but have not fitted it yet but I am regularly forgetting to cancel the indicators on my 650 deauville and the indicator warning lights on the clocks are woefull to see, almost behind tinted glass and I also wear earplugs when riding so hoping that the buzzer will be loud enough to hear, I thought that for 14 sovs it would be worth a punt.

Edited by paulc
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, paulc said:

I know its an old thread but has anyone tried one of the adjustable buzzer warnings SEE here I bought one but have not fitted it yet but I am regularly forgetting to cancel the indicators on my 650 deauville and the indicator warning lights on the clocks are woefull to see, almost behind tinted glass and I also wear earplugs when riding so hoping that the buzzer will be loud enough to hear, I thought that for 14 sovs it would be worth a punt.

Let me know how you get on my trophy is the same regarding warning lights.  Strangely I remember on the Yamaha...

Bob may remember these. Didn't some MZ's or CZ's have an fibre optic from the indicator? Maybe just the eastern European cars?

I miss the self cancelling winkie's on my XJ's. A good habit is to double check like the over the shoulder life savers we oldies still do.

Old BM's (R80 etc) used to make that swark with the indicators on. May be it will be maditory to have an indicator bleeper for these new silent electric bikes?

Car drivers need an audible warning too, maybe played over there radio's? Oh and a "get off your B*******y phone message too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am hoping that some of my fellow fossils on here will remember that the original Z1 and several other models and almost all BMW`s of the era had audible bleepers which I distinctly recall disconnecting because we didn`t want to sound like the old bill who used R90`s in London lol.

I think because we never had self cancelling indicators we got better at cancelling them which back then was put the switch back to the centre position prior to push to cancel (Which I think started with RD`s but I am probably wrong).

Cheers

Ian

18 minutes ago, onesea said:

Let me know how you get on my trophy is the same regarding warning lights.  Strangely I remember on the Yamaha...

I will let you know once I fit the contraption :) I just keep kicking myself every time I forget to cancel the indicators and find myself smashing the cancel button from habit now like a nervous tick, I am even doing whilst sat watching telly or eating my tea now lol. seriously though I hope it helps and will report back once fitted and tested 👍

I used to be the one on the lesson that did this alot, so much that I thought my name might actually be indicator as it came over the earpiece so much

The byproduct of that is I don't think I have done it since passing, I still hear his voice every time I complete a manoeuvre.

• Haha 1

the indicators on my bike are automatic, but, I'm quicker. its something I do automatically and without thinking. I thought, with this change to silly Japanese style switches it might be problematic. but, it hasn't been.

concentrate on what you're doing and it shouldn't be too long before you do it without realising.

• Like 1

I fitted a  basic non adjustable indicator warning bleeper on my Suzuki GSX600. It helps but is only audible upto about 30MPH.

Repeater lights on the dash are only really visible when its dull or dark

I had a 1978 Yamaha RD125 that had self cancelling indicators, worked off a switch on the speedo that switched them off after 1/10 mile.

Do Yamahas still have this?

Guest Richzx6r

For me its instinctive I always give the indicator button the double push everytime I use them just to make sure and for me it's got to be right after I have either made a manoeuvre or a turn so I dont leave them on

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 17:36, onesea said:

Just by way of an update, I fitted the buzzer today and whilst it is a great idea and works as it should I cant hear it at all with my earplugs in so it is useless for me, however I am considering replacing the buzzer with an LED light or something bright that can be mounted in plainer sight than my indicator light as a reminder, finally the buzzer wire is woefully short and I mean like 3 inches long from the main control unit which is obviously an excercise in penny pinching and a bit crap really and even for someone who does not wear earplugs it is going to be a hard to hear unless you mount the unit and beeper somewhere exposed because the beeper wire is so short.

1 hour ago, paulc said:

Just by way of an update, I fitted the buzzer today and whilst it is a great idea and works as it should I cant hear it at all with my earplugs in so it is useless for me, however I am considering replacing the buzzer with an LED light or something bright that can be mounted in plainer sight than my indicator light as a reminder, finally the buzzer wire is woefully short and I mean like 3 inches long from the main control unit which is obviously an excercise in penny pinching and a bit crap really and even for someone who does not wear earplugs it is going to be a hard to hear unless you mount the unit and beeper somewhere exposed because the beeper wire is so short.

do you not have a repeater light on the dashboard ? all my bikes have always had one 

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

do you not have a repeater light on the dashboard ? all my bikes have always had one 

The only light I have is the green flashing light on the clocks but it is so dim and almost looks like it is behind tinted glass, very hard to see. 

13 minutes ago, paulc said:

The only light I have is the green flashing light on the clocks but it is so dim and almost looks like it is behind tinted glass, very hard to see. 

Have you looked at the bulb as it may have tarnished or an incorrect wattage/voltage been placed in there

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Have you looked at the bulb as it may have tarnished or an incorrect wattage/voltage been placed in there

Thanks for the suggestion Tim but my eyes just do not seem to drop down to clock level, I could do with one of those boxing gloves on an extended arm like on tom and jerrys alar clock to remind me to turn the indicators off😁

I've already got self cancelling indicators on the Harley and they are a pain in the arse . They seem to cancel half way round a rounderbout before I've got to the exit and when I'm lane changing they stay on too long . Of course you can cancel manually but I often miss time this and inadvertently switch them on again . And for those that don't know , there's a left button on the left handlebar and a right button  on the right handlebar . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

indicators on the Harley....there's a left button on the left handlebar and a right button  on the right handlebar . 

Such a sensible idea and something I really miss after moving over to Honda from my old BMW. It took some time getting re-used to a single switch. Though I believe these are now standard on more modern BMWs.

The self cancellers on my bike are quite clever though, they are linked to the 'lean' detector and don't switch off until the bike is upright after turns. and has been that way for, I believe 10 seconds, or a set distance, or both. Though I'm more likely to cancel them myself before this happens.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

How much! 

but then how much do you put on safety? 

When they first came out they were about £100

Edited by JRH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fastbob said:

I've already got self cancelling indicators on the Harley and they are a pain in the arse . They seem to cancel half way round a rounderbout before I've got to the exit and when I'm lane changing they stay on too long . Of course you can cancel manually but I often miss time this and inadvertently switch them on again . And for those that don't know , there's a left button on the left handlebar and a right button  on the right handlebar . 

My GT750 had self cancelling indicators like that. Either too early or too late. 🙄

• Like 1