What side should I stick helmet camera on

Left side is popular so you can use your clutch hand to turn it on etc, but left side is also popular with comms for the same reason

One day lids will have integral cams, you read it here 1st :thumb:

Left side is popular so you can use your clutch hand to turn it on etc, but left side is also popular with comms for the same reason

One day lids will have integral cams, you read it here 1st :thumb:

I think this is very important. Personally I would chose left but I have an intercom (all be it integrated into my helmet) so it might be a little fiddly having both sets of controls on the same side.

If you have an intercom them it's probably best on the right side.

Mine is on the bike and wired in. Ignition on camera on, ignition off camera off. Don’t have to worry about battery running down.

Mine is on the bike and wired in. Ignition on camera on, ignition off camera off. Don’t have to worry about battery running down.

How secure is the mount? i.e is it safe to leave on the bike while in a pub etc?

How secure is the mount? i.e is it safe to leave on the bike while in a pub etc?

It’s a GoPro clone. Mount is secure but if I need to I just pop the camera out of the waterproof case. But to be honest I never take it out when parked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Gopro hero3 on a chin mount stuck on with sugru. DONE! I use it every day. I needed to buy some other bits on ebay to get the angle right. Like this guy.

Right....well my helmet mount is tiny and the camera is shaped nicely for the wind, they did think about that before hand. You know that right?

nothing to do with aerodynamics its when your head is sliding down the road ...twisting motions then can make a huge difference to wether you walk again or not .

I mean where its going to be mounted I would have to have no shoulder for it to make contact to the road in a slide

If you come off at 10-20mph that's fine. But at higher speed offs it's likely you won't have much control over where/how you slide, what you got, what hits you etc.

A couple of examples...1. Many years ago I came off on diesel on a large roundabout doing about 50mph (yeah, stupid I know). I slid on my back, hit the kerb which launched me sideways at an angle, across the verge just missing a lamppost. After the kerb impact I had no control of my body position until I stopped. I was lucky.

2..as a race marshal I've seen a rider run wide, wobble through the gravel, fall down at walking pace and break a collar bone. I've also seen guys come off at 120-150mph, slide/roll/bounce and get up completely unharmed, while their bikes are destroyed.

You can't predict what will happen if you crash. Personally i wouldn't want to take the gamble that something stuck on the side of my head protection won't dig in and snap my neck.

But as an adult you have the right to chose how or where you mount your camera. Be safe dude.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Mines on the right hand side. It's a Drift 2 HD and I don't venture without it. I record interesting journeys and add the footage to my computer. The main reason though is for insurance purposes.

Iv'e been very lucky and so far have got through without a coming together. However Iv'e had motorists pulling out in front of me, running red lights and a couple using their mobiles, drifting towards me.

Most of us will have heard the horror stories, I never saw you. It was your fault not mine. The lights were at green when I set off, and the classic, Don't go through the insurance, get it mended and I'll pay for it to be repaired. Yeah right.

I'm sticking with that little camera just in case.

Regards.

I have a go pro (cheap copy) mounted on the front of my helmet. It's big and does have some drag but on my Enfield I rarely get above 60 so that's OK. I have it as a dash cam and I want drivers to see it so some of the dickheads may think twice. I think if I did come off it would smash before doing me any harm. I hope I never find out :roll:

right hand side, I prefer camera on lid as it points where your looking and if something is happening there is a good chance your looking at it.

There have been a few studies with regards potential injury caused by the camera and non have found evidence of an increase, most simply depart company from the lid or didn't come into contact with anything.