What 125cc too get

Bubero

So I was originally planning to by a new yamaha YZF-R125 when I turn 17 next year, but the more I think about it £4,500 seems like too much to spend on a bike when I already know that as soon as I can I'll get a bigger bike (so for 2 years)

I am open to all types of bikes but I like the look of sport bikes the most, Getting a supermoto was another thing that I was looking at but I'm really just not sure any more of what to get.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

New budget?

I bought a used mt125, rode it for a year and sold it for roughly what I bought it for, so it cost me nothing to run. Worth considering.

Otherwise anything Japanese and used-you can get a cbr 125 for 2k.

New budget?

I bought a used mt125, rode it for a year and sold it for roughly what I bought it for, so it cost me nothing to run. Worth considering.

Otherwise anything Japanese and used-you can get a cbr 125 for 2k.

Yeah I'll probably look for something like that thanks

I had the same dilemma around 8 weeks ago, do I cheap out, get something a little older and perhaps something I don’t particularly want or feel pride in to save a few quid upfront, or do I invest my current savings into a decent machine that I actually want to own as my first bike?

I opted for a new £4000 Honda CB125R based off the fact that second hand CB125R’s with a fair chunk of miles were going for anywhere between £3200-£3700 - I chose to pay the difference for new, knowing that it’s going to easily hold its value over the next 1-2 years (while I do my DAS) as it’s a 2018 model 19 plate Honda - but it’s also a bike I’m proud to own (gets a hell of a lot of compliments from random people and other bikers, which feels goood!)

Me personally, I’d say if you have the money and have factored in additional costs (gear insurance etc) - get the bike you actually want to ride. Enjoy it, take pride in it. If it’s brand new, it will cost a lot more, but it will also sell for a hell of a lot more and you should be getting the majority back 2 years from now. Meanwhile you’ve just spent 2 years on a quality machine that probably won’t ever let you down!

Nothing wrong with cheap 125’s of course, but 2 years is a decent amount of time to be sticking with the bike, so may aswell enjoy it as much as possible if you’re able, just my thoughts :)

I had the same dilemma around 8 weeks ago, do I cheap out, get something a little older and perhaps something I don’t particularly want or feel pride in to save a few quid upfront, or do I invest my current savings into a decent machine that I actually want to own as my first bike?

I opted for a new £4000 Honda CB125R based off the fact that second hand CB125R’s with a fair chunk of miles were going for anywhere between £3200-£3700 - I chose to pay the difference for new, knowing that it’s going to easily hold its value over the next 1-2 years (while I do my DAS) as it’s a 2018 model 19 plate Honda - but it’s also a bike I’m proud to own (gets a hell of a lot of compliments from random people and other bikers, which feels goood!)

Me personally, I’d say if you have the money and have factored in additional costs (gear insurance etc) - get the bike you actually want to ride. Enjoy it, take pride in it. If it’s brand new, it will cost a lot more, but it will also sell for a hell of a lot more and you should be getting the majority back 2 years from now. Meanwhile you’ve just spent 2 years on a quality machine that probably won’t ever let you down!

Nothing wrong with cheap 125’s of course, but 2 years is a decent amount of time to be sticking with the bike, so may aswell enjoy it as much as possible if you’re able, just my thoughts :)

Totally agree, and as it's new you will look after it because the first time you drop it after riding like a XXXXwit, will teach you a lesson only learnt from experience :lol: but most of all you will get some piece of mind of not worrying about mot's and as long as you keep up with service schedule it will still have a good resale value :thumb:

If you are already thinking about moving on to bigger bikes I would say buy used and buy something popular so that when you shift it on you aren't going to lose too much. You also say you are open to different styles of bike, you may find that a sports bike style one doesn't 'fit' you or a supermoto's hard seat is just too uncomfortable on longer rides, you don't want to spend big bucks on a bike only to find riding it causes you issues and you are stuck with it for 2 years or face a big hit in depreciation.

Edited by xMachina

I bought a D reg RD125 to learn on, biggest pile of 2 stroke crap ever, ok once you got it started mind.

Past my test on a CG125. If I was doing it again I would go straight for the CG :thumb:

I bought a D reg RD125 to learn on, biggest pile of 2 stroke crap ever, ok once you got it started mind.

Past my test on a CG125. If I was doing it again I would go straight for the CG :thumb:

CG's rule !

Used, even on a new jap bike your going to loose money, I paid 1k for a 2013 Cbf with low miles, over a year later I got 1k when I sold it.

[/quote. You did good

Edited by fastbob

Used, even on a new jap bike your going to loose money, I paid 1k for a 2013 Cbf with low miles, over a year later I got 1k when I sold it.

[/quote. You did good

I did, but it took a lot of searching to find it, also came with a top box, a jacket, 2 pairs of gloves a heavy chain and a full tank 😁

Owner gave up and sold up.

Buy a used Jap bike.

As someone else said, if you're already of the mindset that you think you'll get a bigger

bike soon once you can (after the test if done soon) - defo used.

If you bought new, while the jap bike would hold value, i'd say you want a good min of two/three years use

out of it to make it worth while with the price drop.

Saying that, someone I know bought a brand new MT125 for £4400. Sold it a year later for £4000.

Depends on if you can risk the money or not.

I got a Varadero for £1250 sold it roughly a year later for same amount. Was an 05 reg. Amazing bike.

Jap bikes hold value.

I had a Benelli TNT125 for 18 mths ,put some decent tyres and it was a great bike,nippy and tiny but not too low for me ,6ft ,sold it and hardly any deprecation

Thwy are mostly good ,a few on the forums have had some engine probs,but if you speak to the shops not much trouble,plastics are dirt cheap too

My 2 pence worth if you want a bike for transport, buy a Second hand Jap 125 preferably ratty looking and spend some money on security.

Your 17 you will have girlfriend/ boyfriend you will go clubbing or what ever your bike may not always be left in the most desirable address.

Bike theft IS a problem yes 125's as well.

You could even consider a scooter with all its carrying capacity but that might be going a bit far! They are also just as desirable to thieves.