How do you guys fix your cameras to the bike?

I've just bought an Olfi from J&S, nice little camera, not the highest spec in terms of modern gizmos but they have a reputation for being well built. I don't want it on my helmet due to wind resistance and what will happen when I walk into the garage door forgetting it's there. Plus I use a flip front due to wearing glasses and the contours of the helmet mean there's no simple place to put it.

The Bobber isn't a problem as there's a clamp in the kit that will fit onto the front forks. But the CBF has a bubble screen and there's just nowhere that it really fits using any of the adapters that come with the kit (I bought the bundle package so it has a variety of mounts provided).

It has what I guess are the standard GoPro style mount. I'm sure there's a simple solution someone has already discovered.

3M VHB pads are really very sticky if you can find somewhere to stick them. They come off cleanly with a bit of persuasion from a hairdryer too so no worries about residue if you get it wrong.

Also suction cups are not to be trusted.

Guest Richzx6r

3M VHB pads are really very sticky if you can find somewhere to stick them. They come off cleanly with a bit of persuasion from a hairdryer too so no worries about residue if you get it wrong.

Also suction cups are not to be trusted.

Suction cups work in mission impossible when hes climbing up the building..... :tumble:

I use the 3M sticky mounts. Also used a RAM mount onto the brake master cylinder bolts.

Have used the suction mount and it was secure, but I did have a security cable just in case.

Ended up with it mounted on the front of the bike. (Clocks not in view :wink: ).

3E991B2E-82A4-4101-B88E-DE2C7973545E.thumb.jpeg.2efe068758c09ac2e987e125da2a17b3.jpeg

I've just bought a Drift 4K and I'm seriously thinking of getting the shoulder harness and mounting it that way. I'm not sure about mounting it on my helmet and there's not really anywhere to mount it on the bike. When I get home tomorrow I'll have a play.

Hmm, yes. 3M sticky pads all the way - I used them to hold the arse-cam on my track bike:

DSC_6767.thumb.JPG.fa19cae5e3626e82f11f0d4b5a98ac27.JPG

It was on for years without any problem yet was fairly easy got remove without leaving any mess.

Jacket mounting looks a good bet. Less vibration for the cam and no permanent kit on the bike.

That's what I'm thinking ref the harness that Drift specifically sells for the job. Also if I want to run a mike feed it would be possible and practical.

• 2 months later...

I have an 'action camera' it's not a GoPro but it comes with a variety of fixings. I'm not particularly interested in using it for filming rides etc but more for liability reasons.

What is the general consensus,is it best fixed to the bike or fixed to helmet? :D

Mine is on the bike fairing. That makes it easy to wire into the bikes system so it starts to record with the ignition On and stops when the ignition is off.

This also means it is not reliant on its internal battery.

Downside is that the field of view is fixed.

Mounted on the helmet means it records what you look at.

There is argument that fixing a camera to a helmet may cause problems in an off. I believe the point is that your helmet can slide but if you attach something to it that could catch it could yank your head which might cause neck or spine injury.

I have an 'action camera' it's not a GoPro but it comes with a variety of fixings. I'm not particularly interested in using it for filming rides etc but more for liability reasons.

What is the general consensus,is it best fixed to the bike or fixed to helmet? :D

Depends what you're using. I have a Sena which mounts flush onto the side of the helmet in a very unobtrusive way. I specifically avoided a GoPro because of the helmet mounting system and the risks associated with it. (And I'd certainly NEVER consider mounting anything on the top of a helmet).

If I were to buy a GoPro in the future I'd go for the chest harness, I think.

Depends what you're using. I have a Sena which mounts flush onto the side of the helmet in a very unobtrusive way. I specifically avoided a GoPro because of the helmet mounting system and the risks associated with it. (And I'd certainly NEVER consider mounting anything on the top of a helmet).

What are the risks, I assume you mean that a chin mount isn't great if you had a face first impact? I'd guess it would snap or shear off the camera. How is a side mount any better

What are the risks, I assume you mean that a chin mount isn't great if you had a face first impact? I'd guess it would snap or shear off the camera. How is a side mount any better

It’s not so much the chin mount issue, it’s more that the GoPro mounts have potential to cause harm in an off. That’s where the Sena system is superior as there’s nothing that could do you damage,