Summer over

EX GASMAN

Still warm enough! Went out today still wearing my summer gloves, surprised how warm I was even just wearing a t shirt under my jacket

That's all i ever wear under my jacket, was out for 2 hours and was still warm :thumb:

I do remember going for a ride one evening on my first bike, been out for about an hour and a half, came to a stop put my feet down and fell over. Could not feel my legs from the knees down, funny now but not then.

I do remember going for a ride one evening on my first bike, been out for about an hour and a half, came to a stop put my feet down and fell over. Could not feel my legs from the knees down, funny now but not then.

Ditto, rode home from my GF's place after midnight one January back in 1979 wearing ordinary jeans. When I got home about an hour later I couldn't get off the bike except by sliding backwards off the seat and then found my legs weren't working properly. The pain when the circulation returned was a little bit eyewatering. Thank god for modern technical clothing!

Ditto, rode home from my GF's place after midnight one January back in 1979 wearing ordinary jeans. When I got home about an hour later I couldn't get off the bike except by sliding backwards off the seat and then found my legs weren't working properly. The pain when the circulation returned was a little bit eyewatering. Thank god for modern technical clothing!

Never had pain in the legs, they just didn't work lol. I have had pains in the fingers, it was excruciating as they came to.

and if you get cold fingers on the bike when you get home whatever you do you don't put them under the hot tap you wont do it twice you will find out why :?

Been there and done that. Haven't done it again!

Not from biking but from Ice climbing and winter mountaineering I have had the Hitaches before, also known as they screaming barfies.

When the circulation returns to your hands (not because they warm up, you are still out there in the cold). It is a quite exquisite pain that demands to be sworn about at the time.

I do remember going for a ride one evening on my first bike, been out for about an hour and a half, came to a stop put my feet down and fell over. Could not feel my legs from the knees down,

I get that now (getting old ) go out for a long ride and not having to stop so your legs stay in the same for while then you got to a stop and your legs gone to sleep .. now I have to ride and keep swinging my legs about to stop them stiffing up .

,.....Still I'd rather ride in the cold and rain, then spend well over an hour in traffic in the car, only 30mins..ish on the bike, then trying to find parking when you get to work, or walking to the train station then standing up for 25mins, while people cough, sneeze and dribble all over you...... maybe the novelty of riding hasn't worn off yet? Or maybe it's an excellent way for me to commute? However the only time I would even consider not riding is black ice or snow.

Thankfully I am lucky enough to only ride motorcycles for pleasure and my heart goes out to anyone who has to ride a bike out of necessity . I'm only putting my ER5 back on the road so that I can scratch the itch to ride a bike over the next six months should the weather permit .

Yesterday I had to ride to a local hospital to see someone. The rural roads are currently covered in mud, gravel and water. You get no warning what's round the next bend so it's absolutely a case of riding to what you can see. No pointing hooning it round a bend to suddenly find yourself confronted with wall to wall mud washed out of a field.

And then the trees join in and drop their summer solar panels all over the place - which means even roads that just look damp have the same level of grip as a greased ferret on ice.

So it's a totally different kind of riding - but still a challenge to get it right.

Thankfully I am lucky enough to only ride motorcycles for pleasure and my heart goes out to anyone who has to ride a bike out of necessity . I'm only putting my ER5 back on the road so that I can scratch the itch to ride a bike over the next six months should the weather permit .

I'm like you, riding for pleasure, it is a little hairy getting the bike out as we have a gravel type of drive. But as soon as i am on the road it's like i am 20 again, same really as i'm 72 :D

I'm like you, riding for pleasure, it is a little hairy getting the bike out as we have a gravel type of drive. But as soon as i am on the road it's like i am 20 again, same really as i'm 72 :D

Have you posted any pics of your bike yet ?

Edited by fastbob

I'm in bloody Scotland. As I passed the "welcome to Scotland" signs the moderate rain became a sodding ( sodden?) downpour. It's not stopped since - 3 days later and looks set to last until at least Friday when I'll have to swim home. Bloody rain.

I'm in bloody Scotland. As I passed the "welcome to Scotland" signs the moderate rain became a sodding ( sodden?) downpour. It's not stopped since - 3 days later and looks set to last until at least Friday when I'll have to swim home. Bloody rain.

My heart goes out to you . I absolutely love touring in Scotland . When the sun shines it's an earthly paradise but when it rains it can really get you down . Try to visit some waterfalls , they should be spectacular at this time .

My heart goes out to you . I absolutely love touring in Scotland . When the sun shines it's an earthly paradise but when it rains it can really get you down . Try to visit some waterfalls , they should be spectacular at this time .

Unfortunately I am here on an office training course so options to go and do my own thing are non-existent. Despite the weather if I was here on my own account I'd be off seeing the sights of Kintyre and probably the Trossachs. Hopefully on my way south from Barnard Castle on Sunday I'll get to do some interesting rides through the Derbyshire dales. We shall see.

At least it keeps the midges at bay. Otherwise you get eaten alive.