Mechanical help

Clive-aliveRR

It never ceases to amaze me that people will do stuff like , and I'm paraphrasing , " I think it's the coils , so I replaced the coils , no change , so it wasn't the coils " There was a post a while back where someone's fault finding process was " It's not running right so I replaced the engine , no change , so what else can it be ? " I'm not having a go but come on , a quick prod with a multimeter will tell you whether a coil is ok or not . £12.99 from Wilko .

You are all correct lol, the workshop guy noticed there was to much oil but he says he’s done that hundreds of times on his bikes and never caused any bother but it’s the last thing I can think of as everything else on the bike is fine. So I will drain the oil to the correct level and see what’s it goes like from there I know guys who have overfilled with oil to and there bike ran like crap so we shall soon see lol

If the workshop guy says he has overfilled engines with oil hundreds of times I'd suggest finding a new workshop. Overfilling can cause serious issues. A small amount isn't a problem but a significant amount over can cause problems. A professional mechanic shouldn't be overfilling engines.

Let's be honest . Who hasn't put in a extra glug or two of oil for good luck ? But as Mississippi Bullfrog rightly says , significant overfilling can definitely cause serious issues . All that metal thrashing around can't operate if it's bashing into volumes of liquid that are slopping around in the engine's cavities .

When you do drop the oil I suggest that you decant it into a measuring jug just to see how much was in there . I've done this in the past mainly out of curiosity . When more oil comes out than went in , there's something not quite right . Either that or you've got an ER5 ! 😆

I’ve drained the oil today and stil no better? I really am puzzled at this stage the only way I can describe it is say for example I’m in 2nd or 3rd gear I give it full throttle and it justs feel dead no kick in it almost like it’s restricted it’s also the same in every gear, and also when the bike is warm or after I’ve ridden it for a while and I come to a stop at lights or when I’m back in the garage there is a strange smelll coming up from the front of the bike like in round the radiator somewhere and all the tempeture seems to rise pretty quickly to like it goes up 1•c per 2 seconds does that sound normal enough? Bear in mind the temperatures are colder now to soo :/, and Again all this happened after I serviced it..

Have you checked the air filter? Is it fitted properly and is there any sign of oil contamination in the air box?

Did you measure the oil that came out? If it was overfilled then excess oil can be forced into the air intake.

The lack of power and getting hot quickly still makes me suspect it might be an air issue. If there's air leaking into the intake it will run lean which will reduce power and make it run hot.

One trick is to let it idle then spray WD40 around the air intake and carbs. Any air leak will draw the WD40 in and since it is combustible you will hear the idle speed rise momentarily. Be careful because WD40 is combustible so will ignite if it gets near a source of ignition.