Insurance without license.

Hello all I'm new here. Just after some advice regarding insurance. I've currently passed my CBT and theory and currently doing mod 1 training (when I get time!).

I've bought a 750 bike on pcp which is coming on Tuesday. I'm told I have to have insurance for them to deliver the bike etc...

My plan for the bike is to have it locked in a secure garage chained to an anchor until I've passed my test.

Does anyone know of a cheap way to insure the bike as it won't be being ridden or even leave my garage. All the insurance company's I've spoken too can offer insurance on the bike for it not to be ridden, however, they only offer a year's insurance. The cheapest quote I've had is £140. I'm planning on being passed in the next month or 2 so it's a lot of money for the short time until I fully insure it! Anyone know of any insurance that can offer month by month insurance?

I think it's an "off the road" insurance policy you need.

If that's what they're quoting 140 seems pretty cheap.

I would just pay it in your position, you need it insured otherwise you could end up paying out £thousands if the bike was nicked.

All the chains, anchors, locks, alarms available won't stop a determined gang of thieves with a van, a grinder and a few weapons to fight you off.

Why didn't you wait to get bike until you passed ?

Surely the insurance company will adjust policy in a couple of months once you've passed..... they will sting you though .

Why didn't you wait to get bike until you passed ?

Surely the insurance company will adjust policy in a couple of months once you've passed..... they will sting you though .

I got a very good deal and had a moment of madness 😂

I've had a few of them :D

I get what you did and why. We've all been there.

I've had temporary insurance in the past - it's massively expensive (by comparison) and I think the max temp policy would be 2 months.

Have you tried using a comparison site to find out what a regular policy would cost if you had just passed your test ? I'm guessing it'll be a lot more than your 140 off-road quote. (Bare in mind that some insurers won't allow you to use ncd from provisional licence riding)

So it might be best to bite the bullet and take the off-road policy for now. Then you know it's covered and you're under no pressure to get your test done in a hurry.

Or, do you have friends/family that could insure it and add you as a named rider when you pass?

That's just my thoughts - good luck whatever you decide to do

I believe that pretty much all insurance policies are monthly, even if you pay a year up front. If you cancel after a month you get a refund for the remaining 11, often less an admin fee of £50 or so though maybe... If you pay monthly it's actually worse, as you've entered a credit agreement so more complex to cancel. I may be wrong, but this us my understanding.

I believe that pretty much all insurance policies are monthly, even if you pay a year up front. If you cancel after a month you get a refund for the remaining 11, often less an admin fee of £50 or so though maybe... If you pay monthly it's actually worse, as you've entered a credit agreement so more complex to cancel. I may be wrong, but this us my understanding.

Yup, although I've also had policies where the penalty for cancelling before the year's up has been weighted against you - e.g. you get 50% back if you can cancel after 3 months, and 0% after 6 months. Plus you pay the cancellation fee :roll: