Weighing up the pros and cons

and thinking about just doing my A1 test, as mentioned in another thread i don't really see myself riding anything bigger than a 125, which brings into question that doing an A or A2 test is pointless and an expense which will not benefit me in any way,

yes the test is the same and the majority will say do your A, but is it really worth that expense over the A1 which when calculated is about the same price as a CBT, i can use my own bike which i am familiar with i don't have to re-learn riding a different bike, the A2 is an option but it still wouldn't really benefit me anymore than an A1 except an increase in engine size and power, also when reading through many of the threads 250cc bikes as an example aren't that much quicker or have much more top speed than most 125's, so there again for me it is rather pointless, after much deliberation i really can't see why an A1 licence would be an inadequate option :cheers: .

Do what you like 😁

But having the option to ride something bigger is just that an option, you will soon want to upgrade to a 250 v strom 😂

If i was commuting and/ or doing lots of motorway miles then yes, but as it is now and the foreseeable then no :thumb:

I think if you want to stay 125 then just do CBT after two years.

As you predict my truthful advice would be to do full A if doing test. You could spend the money you would spend on a second 125 on a DAS and then see how you feel about bikes.

Doing the A1 will give me a full licence for 125's the cost of the tests are the same as a cbt, main advantage i can take the tests on my own bike and don't need to go through a school :thumb:

Indeed you are correct if you are confident of passing Mod 1 and 2 first time with no instruction.

I never said without instruction just no need to spend nearly a grand on a licence that an A1 would give me :thumb:

I don't understand why you are even asking.

You want to ride a 125 only.. so do the test that allows this without L plates.

or.. don't, and just redo your CBT every 24 months.

its a binary choice and purely down to your own budget and enthusiasm. (or lack of)

Do mock tests by yourself. Be super critical of your own riding when doing a mock mod 2.

Do you think you would pass? = Go sit your A1.

If you think you need instructions, then do full A. It will cost no difference to get instruction on a big bike from what I gather.

Having your full A gives you the freedom to get a bigger bike down the line if you want. Yes 250's are not much quicker than 125's. But there are a whole fleet of 300-400cc bikes that are much more responsive than a 125, but are still small and light.

As has been said, you are free to choose and only you can decide what is right for you.

Agreed, a 250 isn't massively faster than a 125, at least in top speed. But low and mid range acceleration will be a lot better. And generally, everything about a 250 will be more substantial than a 125 - tyres, brakes, suspension etc so it should go, stop n turn safer.

Bikes and tests and training and insurance will only get more expensive as time goes by too, so upgrading now could save lots long-term.

If you're sure you will only ever want a 125, then I would suggest taking the cheapest option.

i don't have to re-learn riding a different bike,

Why would you have to re-learn to ride a different bike? I've never got on a different bike and not known how all the basic controls work or forgot that I need to put my foot down when I stop or I'll fall over.

just no need to spend nearly a grand on a licence that an A1 would give me :thumb:

If your local school wants a grand for someone who can already ride I'd suggest looking for a school that isn't in the business of ripping people off! Mine asked me about my experience and as I'd been riding about on my 125 we went straight out on the 600. I did 1 lesson and the tests.

As said, its up to you but why you would want to limit yourself for no other reason than the old '125's are enough' argument is beyond me - if in 5 years time you decide that you've changed your mind you have to go through the EXACT SAME test again. - not exactly money saving. :scratch:

i don't have to re-learn riding a different bike,

Why would you have to re-learn to ride a different bike? I've never got on a different bike and not known how all the basic controls work or forgot that I need to put my foot down when I stop or I'll fall over.

just no need to spend nearly a grand on a licence that an A1 would give me :thumb:

If your local school wants a grand for someone who can already ride I'd suggest looking for a school that isn't in the business of ripping people off! Mine asked me about my experience and as I'd been riding about on my 125 we went straight out on the 600. I did 1 lesson and the tests.

As said, its up to you but why you would want to limit yourself for no other reason than the old '125's are enough' argument is beyond me - if in 5 years time you decide that you've changed your mind you have to go through the EXACT SAME test again. - not exactly money saving. :scratch:

:lol: :lol: Funnily enough i have just finished speaking to the instructor who i did my cbt with, got myself booked in next week for my first BIG bike lesson decided to go for full A licence :thumb:

ps. will ring tomorrow to get theory test booked :thumb:

Good for you. I'm sure you won't regret it and who knows you may find that a bigger bike will appeal to you after all.

Maybe, if i do it will only be for a sidecar outfit that can take a wheelchair :thumb:

Good for you. I'm sure you won't regret it and who knows you may find that a bigger bike will appeal to you after all.

Maybe, if i do it will only be for a sidecar outfit that can take a wheelchair :thumb:

Why ?

Why ?

So i can take my OH out for a ride if she's up to it :cheers:

Edited by dynax

I passed my test last month and have an A licence now. I posted here during my training saying how much I struggled with it but boy am I glad I stuck at it.

I am riding my little Yam 125 and although its a great little bike I am now bursting for a big bike. Glad you have decided to go for the full licence you wont regret it believe me.

I passed my test last month and have an A licence now. I posted here during my training saying how much I struggled with it but boy am I glad I stuck at it.

I am riding my little Yam 125 and although its a great little bike I am now bursting for a big bike. Glad you have decided to go for the full licence you wont regret it believe me.

It will leave me with options for the future :thumb:

Why ?

So i can take my OH out for a ride if she's up to it :cheers:

Do the whole thing , you’ll need a bigger bike for that :thumb: