To restore or not to restore.......

dynax

that is the $64000 question, i haven't had chance for any photo's of bridget today, so for some background info, she is a little rough in places although not a great deal of rust which appears to be surface rather than structual rot, the paintwork is flat but no signs of damage, the wheels are dull but should shine up well with some polish, everything works although the lights tend to flicker whilst idling, so some guidance from the more knowledgable folk, i haven't ridden her properly yet as the chain is very slack and the rear sprocket is badly corroded which will need replacing, as will the rear tyre, so quite a few jobs can be done at the same time, i also need to check the brakes which is another job whilst the wheels are off, other than that she seems to run fine if not a little rich which might be remedied with the new filter, so some help on which way to go will be useful as to go for a restoration as close to original as possible, or go restoration with upgrades like updating the electrical system, changing the drum brakes to disc, and maybe some performance upgrades in the way of chain and sprockets, and anything else that springs to mind :thumb: :cheers:

I thought you were going to ride it . It looks fine to me . In the past I've restored CG,s to a bit beyond the standard that your bike is already at but it's purely superficial . To restore a CG properly you need to break it down into its components to do a decent job .I have some pictures of what's involved that I will post later . If you want to smarten it up go ahead but personally I'd just run an oily rag over it . In the meantime here's one I made earlier . If you look carefully at the second picture you will see an entire CG125 . If I recall , it took me about an hour to get it to this stage .

PhotoEditor_20191031_222648857.thumb.jpg.c71d251903c6df78eb0073e350b90ee5.jpg

PhotoEditor_20191031_230916088.thumb.jpg.bc37f80e22a1f0571ef117abdb5a80cd.jpg

Edited by fastbob

I thought you were going to ride it . It looks fine to me . In the past I've restored CG,s UP to that standard so you can imagine how bad they were before I started . If you want to smarten it up go ahead but personally I'd just run an oily rag over it .

:lol: I am intending to ride her, but i do need a rear tyre and while it's off would it be worth replacing the other bits just as a matter of course, once you start though it's that same old thing " well that doesn't look as nice now since i changed that" one reason i hate decorating it never flamin' stops once you start, so irrespective of outlay doing it all in one go and getting it out of the way or do just enough and do it bit by bit :cheers:

I thought you were going to ride it . It looks fine to me . In the past I've restored CG,s UP to that standard so you can imagine how bad they were before I started . If you want to smarten it up go ahead but personally I'd just run an oily rag over it .

:lol: I am intending to ride her, but i do need a rear tyre and while it's off would it be worth replacing the other bits just as a matter of course, once you start though it's that same old thing " well that doesn't look as nice now since i changed that" one reason i hate decorating it never flamin' stops once you start, so irrespective of outlay doing it all in one go and getting it out of the way or do just enough and do it bit by bit :cheers:

Pictures not loading :scratch:

I thought you were going to ride it . It looks fine to me . In the past I've restored CG,s to a bit beyond the standard that your bike is already at but it's purely superficial . To restore a CG properly you need to break it down into its components to do a decent job .I have some pictures of what's involved that I will post later . If you want to smarten it up go ahead but personally I'd just run an oily rag over it . In the meantime here's one I made earlier . If you look carefully at the second picture you will see an entire CG125 . If I recall , it took me about an hour to get it to this stage .

Very nice!, will do enough to ride it safely over winter then come spring will give it a good overhaul :thumb: