The quick shifter thread made me think about this blog.

Gerontious

Without doubt a great bit of engineering from Honda. This would certainly come into its own if you used the bike as an everyday work horse. It's not for me though, I tried it and didn't really gel with the twist and go concept, not a criticism of it but just not for everyone.

I have however had a go on a Tracer 900 with the quick shifter, now that could easily be my next bike.

Seriously considering the longest name for a motorcycle, as my next touring steed. Yes the 'Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sport (DCT)'.

Planning to go to Motorcycle Live and have a mooch around, also look at all the other options available. Having been a BMW fanboy :oops: for many years, I'm now thinking let's have a change next year....... :D

Seriously considering the longest name for a motorcycle, as my next touring steed. Yes the 'Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sport (DCT)'.

Planning to go to Motorcycle Live and have a mooch around, also look at all the other options available. Having been a BMW fanboy :oops: for many years, I'm now thinking let's have a change next year....... :D

I find it easiest to keep it simple.. there are two 'new' africa twins, the " 1100 Standard" and the "1100 Sport". Nobody really cares about the DCT. you have two main camps. those who got it. and those who couldn't get past the initial weirdness. Its not exactly a "Twist and Go" It has a normal gear box that is automated. with manual override. I see all the time people who ride it solely in manual mode - full-on quick shifter mode.. who never use the 'auto' function. I think its great.. mostly its like magic. gearchanges are so amazingly smooth. And its impossible to stall. because gear changes are smooth to the point of being almost invisible. the clutches have a very easy life. so does the chain. Take a pillion and they will never 'knock heads'.

The seat on mine is a Sargent. they have redesigned the seat on the new bikes. hopefully improving its comfort over distance. They have also given it tubeless tyres which is a major plus. The new bike isnt a big enough 'step change' for me to consider upgrading. But is more than perfect i reckon for people coming to the bike for the first time. They have also made it lower.. which is a big deal. I'm 6'7 in my boots and i consider my bike to be 'Very" tall to the point its easiest for me to step onto it using the pegs.

My advice on road testing a DCT is.. try it more than once.. with a few days between road test 1 and 2. And bear in mind that you cant feather the clutch.. very slow speeds are controlled with the rear brake... which very quickly becomes natural. "D" mode is all about fuel economy.. i tend to ride my bike mostly in S1, which is more aggressive. and leave 'D' for long distance motorway riding.

Thank you for the very useful insight of the bike. I will be changing the old Bavarian Mudslinger next year. I will definately be test riding the Honda, along with the KTM and new 1250GS, however I do buy in to the idea of the DCT, especially as I ride with a pillion. The bike will be for touring, mostly with pillion and luggage :)

Never thought much about it. I drive a manual car because I like changing gear, though my commute is now long and tedious so I will be getting an auto next time. I bike for fun but I'm not sure changing gear is part of that? I'd have to rest ride. And there would have to be a bike I like with it.