14 years ago today......

XTreme

..........we crossed the border from France into Spain! And never left!

And this was probably the first pic from Spain that I posted on the bike forum that we had showing my mates back in the UK that I had arrived! It wound them up a bit!

xts9.jpg.c5900cd99d2897c425b7959ea13cb4a2.jpg

And I've done my best to continue in the same manner since then! You may have noticed? :lol:

Actually, it took about a year to sink in with one of the Cardiff boys that I'd really left......he was convinced that it was just me and one of the other guys having a wind-up on him! :lol:

He honestly thought that I was really still in Llandrindod Wells and I was photoshopping my bike onto images of places in Spain! Thick twat!

So it all worked out for us.......but it doesn't for a lot of people! The reality is that It's not so much the place you actually go.......more a case of the person you are.

Living the dream :thumb:

Don't come back here...it will turn into a nightmare :lol:

Not once in all that time have we ever thought about returning Fred!

No family, or community ties (as we moved round a lot)......so there's nothing there for us.

Spam on here is the least of your worries Stu! :lol:

Don't worry I will deal with @Six30 in good time.......

Confirmation of the Mod gig then?

Smart move Stu!

Now now!

I think he would be too good at it!

Should have added that I also took this to Spain with me!

FILE272.JPG.cfce860764e0ae474d820d2dc953a770.JPG

I sold the 660 from the first post after a month to a Brit guy in Moraira.......who, shortly after, killed himself on it! These things happen.

I then bought this!

FILE1803.JPG.c46f88b8e30735b2db9b7d57817fdc34.JPG

The 350 stayed with me for 2 years......went back to Cardiff to a new owner.....and it got nicked within a few weeks.

So both of the bikes from the UK are now long gone!

I thought you'd been there longer than that!

I've often thought about it but don't think

it will ever happen now.

Good on ya I say! :thumb:

Why did you think I'd been there longer than 14 years Ian?

I don't know why but I thought it was longer too!

I thought you'd been there longer than that!

I've often thought about it but don't think

it will ever happen now.

Good on ya I say! :thumb:

I dunno Stu.....maybe it's because we knew each other on WHT for a few years before I joined here?

Nice one mate, I wish I had the bottle to do the exact same thing, truly living the dream, :thumb:

Cheers!

It's not all blue skies and open roads though......behind that is still the day to day drudgery of work, paying bills, shopping etc.

Basically you're doing the same things as you would in Britain......but just in a totally different environment.

I dunno Stu.....maybe it's because we knew each other on WHT for a few years before I joined here?

Maybe it's the fact you gloat about it and say you will never return :lol:

The way you've got to look at it is it's just a depiction of a different life that anybody could choose if they so wished Stu!

In fact it was seeing ride reports on AdvRider from other countries years ago that actually got us thinking about making the move.

Cos I was there in Britain in the same position you are now......pissing rain, howling winds, black sky, and roads covered with salt.

It was just so depressing knowing you were pretty much sidelined for months!

Not going to be so easy to do it if Brexit happens though.

Previously, if you were an EU citizen, you only had to prove €8K annual income to get residency. A pension would have done that. Plus you'd have full EU citizen rights.

But if you're a 3rd country national you need to show €24k.....huge difference that would be out of the reach of many. And you would not have EU citizen rights.

Brexit doesn't mean you can't move to another EU country......you still can! But you better be bringing serious dosh with you.

Previously, if you were an EU citizen, you only had to prove €8K annual income to get residency. A pension would have done that. Plus you'd have full EU citizen rights.

But if you're a 3rd country national you need to show €24k.....huge difference that would be out of the reach of many. And you would not have EU citizen rights.

Brexit doesn't mean you can't move to another EU country......you still can! But you better be bringing serious dosh with you.

Not wishing to turn this post into another Brexit rant but how right you are XTreme.

I am in the same position in France - who by the way as far as I am aware was the only EU country that did not enforce the residency permit regulation after 90 days in their country. Not so after Brexit though.

My problem will be with the health insurance required after Brexit if we do not negotiate “full reciprocal citizens rights” it appears to me that although “we” the U.K. are prepared to give French EU citizens full free access to the NHS, as it stands the French are treating us as third country status and will insist on full comprehensive medical insurance cover. I think you are ok in Spain and they have agreed reciprocal cover. It’s not an EU policy it’s up to each individual country to agree what third county status citizens are entitled to in their respective countries.

Just as a guide when I went into the local AXA insurance office to renew my French registered bike insurance the lady asked me about what I intended to do regarding health insurance, and would I like some quotes before the dreaded Brexit day. Apparently she has lost 3 expat - retired customers in the last 2 months who just couldn’t afford the cost. She said they just put their houses on the market for whatever they could get for a quick sale and have moved back to the UK.

Not wishing to turn this post into another Brexit rant but how right you are XTreme.

I am in the same position in France - who by the way as far as I am aware was the only EU country that did not enforce the residency permit regulation after 90 days in their country. Not so after Brexit though.

My problem will be with the health insurance required after Brexit if we do not negotiate “full reciprocal citizens rights” it appears to me that although “we” the U.K. are prepared to give French EU citizens full free access to the NHS, as it stands the French are treating us as third country status and will insist on full comprehensive medical insurance cover. I think you are ok in Spain and they have agreed reciprocal cover. It’s not an EU policy it’s up to each individual country to agree what third county status citizens are entitled to in their respective countries.

Just as a guide when I went into the local AXA insurance office to renew my French registered bike insurance the lady asked me about what I intended to do regarding health insurance, and would I like some quotes before the dreaded Brexit day. Apparently she has lost 3 expat - retired customers in the last 2 months who just couldn’t afford the cost. She said they just put their houses on the market for whatever they could get for a quick sale and have moved back to the UK.

The thing is we've had residency and paid into the system here since 2005......so we're not dependent on Britain for health cover. Not dependent on Britain for anything in fact. I do start receiving a pathetic pension at the end of this month.........but whether I received it or not makes no difference to me.

And even though I could get free health cover as a pensioner now.......there's no point because we're totally integrated into the Spanish system. Which is light years ahead of the UK it has to be said.

I know Pensioners here who voted for Brexit.......and are screaming for a crash and burn Brexit all over Facebook......knowing full well they will no longer get health care. And they don't have the money to go private either.

Effectively, they've voted for, and are now actively campaigning in order to give up their right to medical treatment. And some of them already have serious pre-existing conditions. :shock:

Whatever your views on Brexit.......that's a seriously disturbing way to think.

The way you've got to look at it is it's just a depiction of a different life that anybody could choose if they so wished Stu!

In fact it was seeing ride reports on AdvRider from other countries years ago that actually got us thinking about making the move.

Cos I was there in Britain in the same position you are now......pissing rain, howling winds, black sky, and roads covered with salt.

It was just so depressing knowing you were pretty much sidelined for months!

I would love to do it but the wife won't :roll:

Although I could get a Spanish one :lol: