getting flashed for having 'fog lights on'

newbiker90

I've only ridden in real fog three or four times and it's absolutely terrifying . By far the worst fog is in the daytime when there's sunlight up above and the fog itself is brilliant white . You can't see anything until you are almost upon it . In these circumstances I very much doubt that Fog Lights would serve any purpose other than to alert oncoming traffic to your presence and even that is highly doubtful . You certainly aren't going to see ahead any better no matter how many lights you stick on your bike . For that reason , would it not be better if fog lights reverted back to being orange like I remember them on the cars of the sixties ? Taking this idea further , perhaps fog lights would be of more value if they were pink or purple like the nineties headlight cover craze . Interestingly , auxiliary spot lamps are referred to as Passing Lights in the USA but exactly why that is I have yet to work out .

I suppose there an argument that if they really are fog lights and you have then on when it's not foggy you are technically committing an offence. Which may be why some people flash at you.

There was a time lots of drivers put their fog lamps on as well as their headlights because they thought it looked good. I remember the police having a bit of a blitz stopping motorists who did this and it faded out, but it seems to be beginning again. I've seen a few cars recently with fog lamps on, and they weren't DRLs.

Dunno, I'd just tweak them down a bit and so long as you're sure you're not dazzling oncoming traffic just accept some people have no idea about motorcycles and ignore them.

Interestingly , auxiliary spot lamps are referred to as Passing Lights in the USA but exactly why that is I have yet to work out .

The "Passing light" is the name (in Americanese) for our dipped beam. so, auxiliary passing lights are lights that match the dipped beam in light spread.

"Passing" simply means its for use when other vehicles are approaching and are going to pass you.. and not be dazzled by your light or lights.

On the other hand.. main beam is often referred to as the 'Driving Lamp"

Interestingly , auxiliary spot lamps are referred to as Passing Lights in the USA but exactly why that is I have yet to work out .

The "Passing light" is the name (in Americanese) for our dipped beam. so, auxiliary passing lights are lights that match the dipped beam in light spread.

"Passing" simply means its for use when other vehicles are approaching and are going to pass you.. and not be dazzled by your light or lights.

On the other hand.. main beam is often referred to as the 'Driving Lamp"

Ah ha , nice one . So they're a considerate way of saying" Here I am , coming through " makes sense .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, just because Honda call them fog light doesn't mean they are fog lights, I mean, Lexus call a sun roof a moon roof :shock:

Well a sun roof is a moon roof depending on time of day and if Honda calls it a fog light then I am not wrong for quoting them :booty:

Personally I wouldn't use these at night on public roads outside of real fog.

At night when we can't actually see other vehicles. Many of us unconsciously judge the distance of a car from us by judging how far apart it's two lights appear to be. If the lights are far apart they are very close, if they are close together they are a further away.

With these on at night, you look no different from a far off car, when in reality you're a bike that is very close. I don't want to get pulled out on, or have an oncoming vehicle overtake a tractor or something believing I'm a far off car.

It's for this same reason leaving your main beam on at night (which some riders do :roll: ) is an even worse idea than many people realise. Not only will you dazzle people, but you're likely to t-bone people pulling out of junctions also. I'd stick to using them in daytime fog where visibility isn't really low, or off-road. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...