Bike buying help - Anyone seen this before?

dodgedit

I have been bikeless for almost 10 years now.. But now budget permits I am looking to buy a bike again, After snooping around over the past few weeks and doing a bit of research, I decided to look for a Yamaha FJR1300.

Today, I came across this ad on autotrader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907310642079

After running it through a vehicle check at https://rapidcarcheck.co.uk it’s giving me the following warning messages:

Details: There is a mix of odometer readings in miles and kilometres.

Details: The odometer reading reduced by 8691 miles between 12 Apr 2018 and 17 Apr 2019

https://i.imgur.com/rtDzTIgl.png' alt='IMGUR>'>

This brings me to the question part, as my bike knowledge is rusty, why would there be a mixture of miles and kilometres in this bikes mileage records? Is it down to the bike having its odometer/engine changed or something similar?

I don’t really want to make the effort to go out and see the bike until I am certain it’s nothing dodgy and don’t want to risk buying a bad bike if it has had the mileage tampered with?

Has anybody else experienced anything like this and would this put you off buying it personally?

I have just purchased a Motorhome that has exactly the same issue i.e. the on line MoT check had a Spike in mileage at some point, however it had a fully stamped up service history that matched with the seller’s story & not with the DVLA.

An inspection of the vehicle also confirmed it did have the wear & tear that would be seen in a vehicle with the mileage claimed by the seller & no worse.

The only conclusion I could come to was that some MoT tester suffered fat finger syndrome & entered the incorrect mileage.

My advice would be to examine the service history & all documentation that comes with it & examine the condition of the bike to see if it stacks up with claimed mileage.

If you smell anything fishy or you are not comfortable with it : walk away, they’ll be another one along soon enough.

more than likely an MOT tester error!

One thing to check with the FJR is the rear suspension linkage!

They are serviceable item every 12k that gets missed and if it seizes up the dog bones can snap! if you are handy with spanners you can do it all yourself for around £140 for all new parts.

apart from that the bike looks the part and has a few goodies already added

If you prefer the stock seat I will do you a swap :lol:

the engines are good for more than 200k! that is very low mileage

Just had a look on eBay . Crikey ! 117 of them . What's happened ? Have they suddenly become unfashionable ? Maybe they have . Perhaps the big cc Sports Tourer has had its day and the Adventure Bike has taken over .

My bro in law had one a month or so after I said I seen this beautiful motorbike fjr something then he turns up with one (not the 1st time hes done that I said years ago I loved the Volvo 850T5 that the used then a few weeks later wow look what I just bought )

So as for the FJR1300 it's a bitch to turn at 130mph 2 up from a str8 section to a slow bend back to str8 section . So he found it the same swapped it for blackbird (bike not the person ) lol

So as for the FJR1300 it's a bitch to turn at 130mph 2 up from a str8 section to a slow bend back to str8 section . So he found it the same swapped it for blackbird (bike not the person ) lol

That's a load of Tosh!

That's a load of Tosh!

What does that even mean ?

That's a load of Tosh!

What does that even mean ?

shite, rubbish, bollocks take your pick :thumb:

what he probably means is that his "Bro" didn't have the experience to take on a sports tourer like the FJ and so just complained about it as a method of covering up his own inadequacy. (it happens)

It also happens that a lot of riders don't have the experience to keep up with an FJR too :mrgreen:

They can be ridden really well and fast!

I'm not the fastest rider out there but I'm not slow either and I have had a few comments from mates saying things like "how did you get that thing to go round corners like that"

As the saying goes its not what you ride but how you ride it

In response to your original post as to mileage discrepancies I have personally experienced this a few times.

One was a Morini 1200 Corsaro that had a digital display speedometer that could be switched between MPH & KPH and had a variation of both on mots and service records. The bike was well known and nothing untoward. My current monster was the subject of clock change very early in its life and is displaying approx 8,000 miles less than its true mileage. This was pointed out to me when I purchased the bike and the price paid reflected the discrepancy.

With cars however it is seen as much more of a problem. I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had been on a “personal” plate. The previous owner replaced it with an identical jeep - just 2 years newer. The Jeep dealers who at which he was a good customer mixed up the two cars (as they both displayed the same number when they serviced them), and when they MoT’d the new one, recorded the details against their service records and my vin number, consequently gave my car a mileage discrepancy. VOSA refused to change the details and the garage said they would not change their records as I was not their customer.

I didn’t think it would be much of a problem until I tried to part ex the Jeep. No reputable dealer would touch it - one drew a comparison with it being similar status as an insurance marker and everyone I approached seriously de-valued it.

You certainly did the right thing in checking it out and are now aware of the “markers” recorded against it. So if the FJR is a good price and you are happy with it no problem, but be aware that you may be disadvantaged price wise and may have problems when you eventually want to move on from it.