Head Bearing adjustment

sillyoldman

Hi all, While moving the bike around today I had to manoeuvre it up a small step appox 3inches anyway while doing so I felt some small movement from I presume to be the steering head bearings.

Now I am no mechanic but am able to change oil/filter adjust chain etc. My question is do you think this is a job that could be tackled by a DIY person with a Haynes manual or would you take it to a motorcycle repairers, would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

It's probably best to determine the condition of your head bearings first of all . Jack the bike up and very gently turn the bars backwards and forwards through the centre line . If you can feel a notch then it's time for new bearings . Tightening them up may mask the problem but it isn't going to improve the handling .

It is possible but they don't usually need that kind of adjustment unless they were recently replaced. If you can get the front of the bike off the floor (centre stands are marvellous things) you should be able to feel if the whole front is moving around or not. It could just be the forks being relatively unladen and rattling around near the edge of the spring's travel, it could be fork bushes worn out, it could still be the pads rattling about, or it could be the balls in the head bearings have made themselves little snuggly pits and now you have a notch in the straight ahead position which will be made ever so much worse if you tighten it up..

Alternatively if the head bearings are new then get ready to adjust them about a zillion times :lol:

It is possible but they don't usually need that kind of adjustment unless they were recently replaced. If you can get the front of the bike off the floor (centre stands are marvellous things) you should be able to feel if the whole front is moving around or not. It could just be the forks being relatively unladen and rattling around near the edge of the spring's travel, it could be fork bushes worn out, it could still be the pads rattling about, or it could be the balls in the head bearings have made themselves little snuggly pits and now you have a notch in the straight ahead position which will be made ever so much worse if you tighten it up..

Alternatively if the head bearings are new then get ready to adjust them about a zillion times :lol:

Ok thanks,taking in what your saying I think I,ll take it and get someone with a lot more knowledge than me to have a look at it.

Thank again