Safety on helmets

Hi. New here 51 years old, and new MC rider - Angry at myself why I didn't start riding MC earlier.

Hope some of you can guide me on selecting helmets. I got a cheap flip-up helmet (Shiro) that I bought in Spain. My head is size 64-65 cm.; depending on how I measure it) and the Shiro is sitting a bit to tight.

Now... I like the idea of being able to flip-up the front of the helmet - I know that the cost is on security, but... I feel to claustrophobic with a fully integral helmet. Being in the top end of head size, I can rule out most helmets. I am now looking at either Shoei Neotech 2 XXL or Nolan N100.5 XXL (or XXXL)

I have been trying to figure out the safety ratings for helmet. ECE, DOT, Sharp, SNELL... and I am really do not know what to think of these.

How would you guys think of the safety on these two helmets - is one more secure than the other? Should I go for something else?

Regards, Lars.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Personally I would forget the "safety tests/ratings" a lot of them are not real world testing!

Every helmet has to meet a certain standard before it can be sold to the public

The helmet fitting is more important than anything! an ill fitting helmet no matter what the safety tests say is going to do more damage than one that fits correctly.

buy the one that fits best :)

Yes comfort is key. Doesnt matter how safe it is if it doesn't fit ur head well it's safety is compromised. I did check out the sharp rating of mine when I bought it using the sharp website. I have a hjc is max2 flipfront I believe they test the latch lock success rate on it. I think there are very few which are intended for use with the flip up on the move. I think schuberth are

My hjc is17 was £110 and is 5* sharp rated. I’m looking at getting hjc’s flagship race rpha11 but apparently it’s only 3* sharp, which seems odd. I think if you’re looking at a good brand like shoei or Nolan you will be fine- I’d avoid £30 eBay specials but otherwise you’re probably okay. As stu says fitment and comfort are key are as you’ll be wearing it more than you’ll be crashing in it, hopefully.

I would agree with most of the above.

For me, the fit is more important than brand, model, or test rating. I'm the opposite to the OP - my head is small and a funny shape - so far, only Shoei's fit me properly and don't squeeze in random places. I currently use a Neotech 2 which I really like but allows a lot of wind noise through so ear plugs are a must for long distance.

Don't forget that the current one you have won't stay as tight as it is when you first get it. I made the noob mistake of buying one to fit nice and snug, and it was too loose after a few weeks of short commuting.

How long have you had this one for?

I've had a couple of Caberg Dukes. They're a budget helmet but I've been happy with them. Not the quietest but I wear ear plugs anyway.

They don't mist up too badly and the sun visor works well. Easy to take the lining out to wash. I don't ride with the front raised but they can be locked in that position if you want to.

I don't know who said it but if you've a £10 head buy a £10 helmet. Up to a point you definitely get what you pay for. Also as everyone has a different shaped head different helmets fit different people better. I've got a square bhead and find Schuberth helmets fit me better than any other brands. Shoei are close but not quite there. AGV are totally out as are Voss, Bell and Shark. Caberg fit sort of, but are not comfortable. Ditto MT. Try on a variety of helmets and go with what is the best fit. Ideally try before you buy

Helmet City and Motolegends are pretty good IMO.

I don't know who said it but if you've a £10 head buy a £10 helmet. Up to a point you definitely get what you pay for. Also as everyone has a different shaped head different helmets fit different people better. I've got a square bhead and find Schuberth helmets fit me better than any other brands. Shoei are close but not quite there. AGV are totally out as are Voss, Bell and Shark. Caberg fit sort of, but are not comfortable. Ditto MT. Try on a variety of helmets and go with what is the best fit. Ideally try before you buy

Helmet City and Motolegends are pretty good IMO.

I don't like that quote because like I say my £100ish hjc gets 5* sharp.

Depends on how much faith you have in Sharp test. And as I said before how well a helmet fits, how well it's made and it's longevity. There's nowt wrong with HJC helmets but they don't fit me. Sadly the only real test for a helmet is how it copes with a smash. If it works - winner! If it doesn't chances are the wearer won't be around to know.