Chain Oil

Daytona79

Gear oil? Wanted to like it. Tried it, it flings. I have some muc off chain lube that I'm going to fall back on. No tradition to it, unlike gear oil, not perfect, and expensive but purpose designed in the 21st century for lubricating motorcycle chains

Weird thread!

WD40 is not a chain lubricant and should not be used for that purpose. This was common knowledge back in the 70's......so what's changed?

I use Castrol Synthetic Racing Lube (not wax, which attracts grit)......and it does the job just fine.

Hell of a lot more expensive than a can of WD40.....but it's a specific product designed for a specific job. Not a general purpose water displacement spray.

If you're paying good money for a bike......why cheap out on lubricants of any kind?

Gear oil? Wanted to like it. Tried it, it flings.

It flings when you use too much.

I have discovered this. First time I used it there was no problem because I took a bit of care applying it. Then I went a bit mad....and made a mess.

I am confused why some people say wax attracts grit. I have used Werths spray wax for years and it keeps the chain dry so it doesn't pick up grit. In fact last MOT the chap told me my chain was a bit dry, so I told him I was using wax (which I bought from him!) and he just said that's fine then.

I've only switched to gear oil because I have loads of it from various projects.

Weird thread!

WD40 is not a chain lubricant and should not be used for that purpose. This was common knowledge back in the 70's......so what's changed?

I use Castrol Synthetic Racing Lube (not wax, which attracts grit)......and it does the job just fine.

Hell of a lot more expensive than a can of WD40.....but it's a specific product designed for a specific job. Not a general purpose water displacement spray.

If you're paying good money for a bike......why cheap out on lubricants of any kind?

I like this thread...WD40 make a lube spray for motorcycle chains https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/wd40-chain-lube-aerosol-400ml-wdcwd44074/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MPX_UK_SEA_G_None_DT_DSA&utm_term=%2Fuk%2F&utm_content=All%20Pages&gclid=CKjrnNGc-eUCFQ-BhQod5q4B7g&gclsrc=ds

[mention]fastbob[/mention] even found another variant 'FTW 40' (not so good though) :(

Gear oil? Wanted to like it. Tried it, it flings.

It flings when you use too much.

I have discovered this. First time I used it there was no problem because I took a bit of care applying it. Then I went a bit mad....and made a mess.

I am confused why some people say wax attracts grit. I have used Werths spray wax for years and it keeps the chain dry so it doesn't pick up grit. In fact last MOT the chap told me my chain was a bit dry, so I told him I was using wax (which I bought from him!) and he just said that's fine then.

I've only switched to gear oil because I have loads of it from various projects.

Wax deposits build up, minute particles of grit get trapped in it, and it can become abrasive. Particularly so if you're doing anything off tarmac.....road use only isn't so much of an issue.

Plus.....wax tends to glue a chain up. Compare two chains.....one only lubricated by oil and the other with wax and you'll see how stiff the wax chain has become.

If you're using Wurth DRY chain lube then that's not really a wax as such. It's a great product but I can't get it here.

WD40 make a wax spray for wet conditions .

They have done for some time but reviews haven't really been particularly positive about it.

They're probably rebranding somebody else's product to trade on the WD40 name.

WD40 make a wax spray for wet conditions .

They have done for some time but reviews haven't really been particularly positive about it.

They're probably rebranding somebody else's product to trade on the WD40 name.

This all started with Persil washing up liquid and then it was Snickers ice cream . After that it was all down hill . No wonder the country's in a mess etc. etc.

Know what really gets me? The Car manufacturers! You buy a specific model and you find it's somebody else's engine in it.

Case in point......Nissan! You think you've got a nice Jap motor and then find out it's a f@cking Renault!

You really got to feel sorry for the Merc owners who unbeknown to them have got Renault engines. Merc and Dacia in the same stable then? :lol:

Don't get me wrong......it's good when the motor is better than the original manufacturers like Skoda and Seat with VAG kit. But in most cases it's downmarket shit.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using a wax based product for the last couple of months. Before that, gear oil. I keep track of my miles per gallon. I was recently wondering why it has dropped.

WD40 contains some very light oil. Light oil evaporates leaving you with nothing. I know that road cyclists use it because it cleans AND lubricates, but they don't put in the same miles and they lube constantly.

Case in point......Nissan! You think you've got a nice Jap motor and then find out it's a f@cking Renault!

Well... the official name of the company is Nissan- Renault. In their defense Renault have been making engines for other cars for years, Volvo for instance. Its not a dark secret. They are often best bang for the buck.

I've been using a wax based product for the last couple of months. Before that, gear oil. I keep track of my miles per gallon. I was recently wondering why it has dropped.

WD40 contains some very light oil. Light oil evaporates leaving you with nothing. I know that road cyclists use it because it cleans AND lubricates, but they don't put in the same miles and they lube constantly.

My current favourite is Muc off all weather lube which faired quite well in the YouTube test, maybe when that runs out I will give the gear oil a go. Oy Vey! it's cheap already. 8-)