ZZR 1200 02

Geordie Mix

Hopefully someone may be able to help.

Im no spanner monkey by any stretch of the imagination, I put GO-FASTER juice in and I GO FAST thats it, so I'm looking for guidance. I don't want to fix it myself as I have a trait of Frank Spencer but I like to have an understanding of whats gone wrong and what needs doing.

I own a ZZR 1200 02 plate which is super fast when it runs right, however It runs like its starved of fuel. Open it up and it accelerates slowly (not particularly badly just not like it should) then other times it goes like a rocket ship. It started off happening once in a while now it happens most of the time. Ive had into a place and they said new fuel and additive etc which worked for 100 miles then back to the same and its bloody frustrating.

I don't mind throwing a little money at it to get it done correctly so Im looking for a good mechanic that isnt gonna take my pants down. I live in-between Doncaster and Scumthorpe.

Any Comments or guidance is much appreciated.

I had a ZZR1200, and loved it. That thing was like a guided missile! But it was elderly, and although I never had the problem you describe things did start going wrong - mainly after a local mechanic and his neanderthal sidekick went anywhere near it. He had no discernible mechanical skill as far as I could ascertain, and communicated primarily by flashing his tribally-tattooed biceps and grunting. He was also one of those hopeless blokes who is completely incapable of standing still for 10 seconds at a stretch without having to rearrange his genitals. Anyway, after it caught fire on the ride home from a routine service I stopped taking it there and decided to start servicing it myself. That wasn't much fun, and I broke the sodding plastic fixing tabs on every fairing panel so many times trying to get them either on or off that about half the weight of the bloody thing was epoxy by the time I sold it.

I traded it for a Harley (I know, I know...) and absolutely loved the ability to service and tinker with it without having to remove a ton of plastic tat first. I still miss that - working on it was really enjoyable. But it wasn't fast enough (in case you were thinking about jumping on an Electra Glide and chasing an R1 down the autobahn I can save you the bother) so I traded it for a K1600 GT, which is fast enough, but is also so complicated I daren't tinker with any of it myself. So it gets taken to the local BMW dealer, whose prices make your eyes water; they don't just ask you to bend over, they go in dry. :shock:

I do miss being able to tinker with something mechanically simple, so I'm keeping an eye out for an old HD Fat Boy in need of fettling.

I realise that none of this will have been the slightest help. Sorry! :D

Could also be rust in the tank clogging up the filter/mesh, or clogging up the mesh in the line to the carbs (if there is one), or the vacuum hole being plugged up so fuel can't escape from the tank, or any number of things really..!

Kinked vacuum pipe to the fuel tap perhaps ? Does it run ok on the Prime position ? Having said that , I can't really see the point of asking what could be wrong with the bike if you can't do anything to fix it . So you might as well take it to a reputable motorcycle mechanic .

I had a ZZR1200, and loved it. That thing was like a guided missile! But it was elderly, and although I never had the problem you describe things did start going wrong - mainly after a local mechanic and his neanderthal sidekick went anywhere near it. He had no discernible mechanical skill as far as I could ascertain, and communicated primarily by flashing his tribally-tattooed biceps and grunting. He was also one of those hopeless blokes who is completely incapable of standing still for 10 seconds at a stretch without having to rearrange his genitals. Anyway, after it caught fire on the ride home from a routine service I stopped taking it there and decided to start servicing it myself. That wasn't much fun, and I broke the sodding plastic fixing tabs on every fairing panel so many times trying to get them either on or off that about half the weight of the bloody thing was epoxy by the time I sold it.

I traded it for a Harley (I know, I know...) and absolutely loved the ability to service and tinker with it without having to remove a ton of plastic tat first. I still miss that - working on it was really enjoyable. But it wasn't fast enough (in case you were thinking about jumping on an Electra Glide and chasing an R1 down the autobahn I can save you the bother) so I traded it for a K1600 GT, which is fast enough, but is also so complicated I daren't tinker with any of it myself. So it gets taken to the local BMW dealer, whose prices make your eyes water; they don't just ask you to bend over, they go in dry. :shock:

I do miss being able to tinker with something mechanically simple, so I'm keeping an eye out for an old HD Fat Boy in need of fettling.

I realise that none of this will have been the slightest help. Sorry! :D

no but we do get where you are coming from :?