Winter maintenance

rubyjune

Hello all,

I've just bought a Herald co Classic 125 in pretty decent condition and I'm a bit worried it will end up in the knackers yard after a couple of winters sat outside. I don't have anywhere else to store it. Its gonna be sitting on the front of my house through winter.

Obviously I don't mind doing a bit of maintenance here and there, but I can't quite come around to the idea of washing it every time I use it. Is their anything I can do to keep it safe until spring/summer? I was talking to a bloke at an MOT centre and he mentioned something about covering it in grease, he said something like 'it will look mucky but at least it won't rot'

I've bought some anti-corrosive spray but I think you have to wash the bike every time you use it. it also washes off in the rain. I guess I'm looking for a quick fix to be honest.

Would be great if someone could point out a couple of maintenance articles on the forum to help me get to grips with things.

Thanks in advance.

ACF50 , that's the stuff, but once you have put it on , let the bike get as filthy as it gets . You don't have to clean it off until the summer .

As said already - ACF 50 can be sprayed on or painted - it will get all sorts of crap stuck to it but it does what it is meant to and protects the bike. If you're using it regularly, particularly when there's salt on the road, then I'd wash it from time to time and reapply the ACF50 afterwards.

A good quality cover will keep the weather off it when not in use and help with security. The problem with covers is that they're not great when the bike is wet because you need air to be able to circulate to dry it off. The Ridehide mentioned is a better option as you can leave a bit of a gap open at the bottom to allow air to circulate.