Yamaha Maxim 650

fifthwheel

This bike, and many like it by the other three manufacturers were all sold under the banner of " US Custom " Personally I think Kawasaki came closest to getting it right with the Z1000 Ltd but it's only a matter of aesthetics . What you have to bear in mind was that at the time there were no V Twin Harley clones for the public to buy .

Polish_20191118_194420788.jpg.0fea227cbfb970f674460074e1bedf13.jpg

Do you mean one of these ?

Thats the one, a cracking looker I wonder why there are not many about were they mainly aimed at the US?

There used to be lots of US customs about . In fact the scrap yards used to be full of them 😁 . There's a lot of expensive stuff to rot on a bike like that . Not worthy of being cherished as a future classic and once they have been through a few British winters they would soon end up with a Motad 4 into 1 and flakey chrome . Then there is the Yamaha tradition of all the paint on the engine falling off which persists to this day . Back in the late 80s there was a big trade in rust free examples being brought in from the US . I actually bought a US spec GS850 at that time and then later a GSX 1100 both second hand US imports .

Polish_20191118_200435799.thumb.jpg.a0f49c991d4aaf280073f09f685d74b0.jpg

Polish_20191118_200537236.thumb.jpg.a387bcd1a13311eef487c4d2c8aaf062.jpg

This bike on Ebay inspired me to post in the first place. I thought it looked cheap and am surprised it hasnt sold. Maybe its the time of year or maybe there is only me that likes it.

I have just started working on an ER500 1997 ive had a long time and still have a GS400 stored away so I really shouldnt buy another just yet but have a feeling I might regret not buying this one. john

This bike on Ebay inspired me to post in the first place. I thought it looked cheap and am surprised it hasnt sold. Maybe its the time of year or maybe there is only me that likes it.

I have just started working on an ER500 1997 ive had a long time and still have a GS400 stored away so I really shouldnt buy another just yet but have a feeling I might regret not buying this one. john

Let me know if you need any advice on the ER5 , I've done most jobs in these including an engine swap / build. As for the Yamaha , a US Custom in good condition is a rarity these days so it might have been very well looked after . HOWEVER , have you seen this in Seller's other items ?

Screenshot_20191119-091726.thumb.png.5528af72d3dcca7407d6be42885ff67a.png

Let me know if you need any advice on the ER5 , I've done most jobs in these including an engine swap / build. As for the Yamaha , a US Custom in good condition is a rarity these days so it might have been very well looked after .

Thanks for the offer, I started yesterday on the bike, I took a few photos including the mouse nest under the seat. The carbs are rusty and seized there is a lot of rust and corrosion. I have the engine turning over and can hear one cylinder light on compression this might come back after the first start I dont know. I am about to remove the carbs to free them and clean up. To be honest I am still not sure if I should carry on with the restoration or break for spares. Parts list to date and by no means final are tyres, battery, petcock, rear light, fuel hoses, regulator probably and repaint. I have a lot of other jobs/projects to do and am wondering if I should forget this and buy a bike ready to ride.

Let me know if you need any advice on the ER5 , I've done most jobs in these including an engine swap / build. As for the Yamaha , a US Custom in good condition is a rarity these days so it might have been very well looked after .

Thanks for the offer, I started yesterday on the bike, I took a few photos including the mouse nest under the seat. The carbs are rusty and seized there is a lot of rust and corrosion. I have the engine turning over and can hear one cylinder light on compression this might come back after the first start I dont know. I am about to remove the carbs to free them and clean up. To be honest I am still not sure if I should carry on with the restoration or break for spares. Parts list to date and by no means final are tyres, battery, petcock, rear light, fuel hoses, regulator probably and repaint. I have a lot of other jobs/projects to do and am wondering if I should forget this and buy a bike ready to ride.

Check to see whether the rear brake drum is oval .

We pushed it into the workshop the rear brake wasn't seized would it go oval with just standing all those years?

Should I start a new thread?

We pushed it into the workshop the rear brake wasn't seized would it go oval with just standing all those years?

It would definitely go oval from standing , it's corrosion between the wheel and drum liner that causes distortion . Start a new thread in the Projects section and I'll suggest a cheap fix . You could always join the ER5 Owners Forum . That would bring the active members up to five ! 😁

It would definitely go oval from standing , it's corrosion between the wheel and drum liner that causes distortion . Start a new thread in the Projects section and I'll suggest a cheap fix . You could always join the ER5 Owners Forum . That would bring the active members up to five ! 😁

I'm already in that group but had forgotten about it, am also in the Facebook ER group. Thanks for reminding me. john.

I'm already in that group but had forgotten about it, am also in the Facebook ER group. Thanks for reminding me. john.

Ok , my username is Earlsdon , what's yours ?

Ok , my username is Earlsdon , what's yours ?

Fifthwheel :D

Let me know if you need any advice on the ER5 , I've done most jobs in these including an engine swap / build. As for the Yamaha , a US Custom in good condition is a rarity these days so it might have been very well looked after . HOWEVER , have you seen this in Seller's other items ?

Would this be a better bike than the 650?

Well just look at it ! It's way cooler . The Yam is all out of proportion . It looks like a seat on wheels . Plus I don't like Yamahas because I've never had one ! 😆

I've had another look at the ER5 this morning in proper daylight my (workshop is not very well lit)

It didn't look as bad as I first thought so I took it to the power washer and cleaned it.

I've changed my mind about whether to break it or put it back on the road after cleaning it I am definitely going to give

it a light restore and ride it.

I will start a new thread.