Diesel spill on roundabout

Gsx750f boy

Just as title ...any members joined the diesel spill on roundabout club ??? If so any advice to look out for or avoid??? :popcorn:

The best thing to avoid is the diesel :lol:

Smells are a good indicator diesel is about as is rainbow colours on the road

It's very difficult to spot until it's usually too late. Therefore I assume every roundabout has diesel spilt on it. It's scary how often that proves to be true.

If they doubled the price maybe people would stop throwing it all over the place. I notice all those sat outside school with their engines running for half an hour drive diesels. So maybe it's just too cheap.

It's very difficult to spot until it's usually too late. Therefore I assume every roundabout has diesel spilt on it. It's scary how often that proves to be true.

If they doubled the price maybe people would stop throwing it all over the place. I notice all those sat outside school with their engines running for half an hour drive diesels. So maybe it's just too cheap.

Just like you I assume every roundabout has a diesel spill.

Yep the school runs bit I agree with too.

I got caught out with diesel a few years ago. Never saw it until last moment then next thing I'm being scraped up by other motorists. Diesel fuel tanks should be made anti-spill, that would go along way to prevent accidents with bikes.

If the road surface is dry, then I'll look out for diesel spills and take the roundabout at any (safe!) speed. But if the surface is wet I'' just assume it has diesel on it.

Reminds me though of a wobbly time [mention]Igloo[/mention] [mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] and I had in Germany last year. We were riding like it was our last day (which it was). Igloo was in front went round a bend straight into diesel all over the road; I don't know how he kept the bike upright. Snod followed and used similar superpowers to keep the right way way up. I'd seen them wobble like the possessed so I'd slowed down and could avoid it. A bit lucky, as I don't have that superpower in my collection.

I don't know whether they still do it but Tesco garages used to have a friendly warning to car drivers not to overfill because of the consequences for us bikers on the actual pump handles .

Guest Richzx6r

Personally I treat every roundabout I come across as if its laced with diesel so it doesn't matter if its dry or wet I'll presume it has enough diesel to ruin my day :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

If the road surface is dry, then I'll look out for diesel spills and take the roundabout at any (safe!) speed. But if the surface is wet I'' just assume it has diesel on it.

Reminds me though of a wobbly time @Igloo @Snod Blatter and I had in Germany last year. We were riding like it was our last day (which it was). Igloo was in front went round a bend straight into diesel all over the road; I don't know how he kept the bike upright. Snod followed and used similar superpowers to keep the right way way up. I'd seen them wobble like the possessed so I'd slowed down and could avoid it. A bit lucky, as I don't have that superpower in my collection.

I recall that! Horrible experience that, really dislike diesel... The BMW was the saviour in that regard, it was more luck than judgement!

Had a lowside on the Cat and fiddle because of a few blobs of diesel I managed to hit perfectly before a bend. Front end just slid away from me.

Keep an eye out for it, and if you do hit it, try and keep the bike as upright as you can. A neutral or no throttle. If a bend is close try and go around it as upright as you can.

Had a lowside on the Cat and fiddle because of a few blobs of diesel I managed to hit perfectly before a bend. Front end just slid away from me.

Keep an eye out for it, and if you do hit it, try and keep the bike as upright as you can. A neutral or no throttle. If a bend is close try and go around it as upright as you can.

Something I'll look out for ..cheers

I recall that! Horrible experience that, really dislike diesel... The BMW was the saviour in that regard, it was more luck than judgement!

I missed it, also by more luck than judgement. Can't claim any heroics.

I've not yet been caught out by diesel on a roundabout, there always seems to be plenty of warning from the long streak of it beforehand. Maybe I've just been lucky? I did however very nearly drop the K100 on a roundabout due to a load of "surface dressing" that had piled up where the cars weren't running through it, lightly sprained my leg keeping the beast up. Every day's a school day!