YZF600R Restoration/Modernisation

I agree with #skyrider in general with torque wrenches the narrower the range the more accurate they are.

A sweeping generalisation I know but it applies to quite a few gauges and tools.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but here goes:

I put everything clutch and body-wise back together, was so focused I didn't get any photo's but never mind, you all are fully aware what a motorbikes looks like :lol: :lol:

One of the things I hate about the T'cat is the huge rear light sticking out like a spare dick at a wedding and although i had found evidence of some guides on a tail tuck on an inferior forum, it was from so long ago it had been removed. I decided it couldn't be that hard so I took the tail light off and there was what seemed to be an after thought put on by Yamaha. The light was mounted on some sort of cradle adaptor which isn't too clear in the pics but was held in by 6 spot welds. I had a go at drilling these out but due to not having a pillar drill or sufficient vice, them being at a funny angle, me being a bellend and a whole host of other factors this didn't work well and I managed to break 2 brand new drill bits so i hack sawed it off instead. I removed the rubber grommets and screwed the light fittings and grommets into what seemed like the original holes from before. This had the effect of bringing the light more into the body of the bike. I have checked and the white number-plate light still illuminates the number plate so I can only presume the reason Yamaha did it was for night visibility from the side. I don't really do much night riding so this wasn't something that bothered me.

268464496_Pre-tucklight1.thumb.jpg.6b29425c04d8730d1f11fd1b486e1d5b.jpg

77261288_Pre-tucklight2.thumb.jpg.498a4f84e325973930b55a3886d97050.jpg

959259900_Postlighttuck.thumb.jpg.876fbdc9e54024e1941b0c2d08572647.jpg

776473982_Postlighttuck2.thumb.jpg.a1403edbdaf57e22a6568de442fc7e7c.jpg

On final assembly of the fuel tank, i noticed a cold wet hand and a strong smell of petrol. Sure enough the small U-bend pipe that goes rear-wards from the fuel tap switch thing, forwards onto the fuel filter had split. Quick trip to euro part then!

513628414_Fuelpipesplit.thumb.jpg.4e800277c793dde1fe7db824eafabcc9.jpg

180689966_Fuelpipesplit2.thumb.jpg.d68d94c4ec64074445e57f9de72b3b50.jpg

I fitted that and thats all I can really do for now! The suspected brake pipe split on the right of the front wheel looks to be a fork seal which is a pain in the ass as these were only changed in June around 50 miles ago :shock: :shock:

Ive got the guy who done them coming to look as there looks to be some very light pitting on the stantion so i may be having to buy two of these as well as another set of forkseals, then its MOT time and back out on the road FINALLY!!!!!