Hours of work wording in contract

Guest Richzx6r

Rich, as per previous comments, a union rep is a great place to start.

Broadly speaking, domestic rules don't really apply in the UK transport industry any more, and any company that runs hgv/lgv will run under EU rules by default.

All commercial drivers are bound by the working time directive. You can Google this, it's fairly straightforward in isolation (gets more complicated if you have tacho too tho).

The EU have been pushing for van drivers to be required to complete driver certificate of competency courses for a while now (hgv,lgv,bus drivers have had this for 10 years) but UK blocked it - taxi drivers in northern Ireland now have to do driver CPC training, so it's probably coming soon.

Incidentally, I did some work for Hermes about 20-25 years ago ( called something else back then) they were crap even then, managers seemed to think there were 36 hours in each day, nowhere was more than 5 minutes from anywhere else, and the volume/payload of a transit was the same as an artic.

Hope you find a good solution 👍

Guest Richzx6r

Rich, as per previous comments, a union rep is a great place to start.

Broadly speaking, domestic rules don't really apply in the UK transport industry any more, and any company that runs hgv/lgv will run under EU rules by default.

All commercial drivers are bound by the working time directive. You can Google this, it's fairly straightforward in isolation (gets more complicated if you have tacho too tho).

The EU have been pushing for van drivers to be required to complete driver certificate of competency courses for a while now (hgv,lgv,bus drivers have had this for 10 years) but UK blocked it - taxi drivers in northern Ireland now have to do driver CPC training, so it's probably coming soon.

Incidentally, I did some work for Hermes about 20-25 years ago ( called something else back then) they were crap even then, managers seemed to think there were 36 hours in each day, nowhere was more than 5 minutes from anywhere else, and the volume/payload of a transit was the same as an artic.

Hope you find a good solution 👍

Aye sounds about right, I will win this battle come hell or high water :twisted:

What about the EU law realting to a maximum 48 hours a week? Or did the UK opt out?

No the uk didnt opt out.

Up to a few years back individuals could (i did) but nowadays its set as legislation.

But.....

It is not per week.

You can average over a month. So if like me you work shifts you may do X2 60 hr weeks and X2 24 hr weeks then get a week off.

We quite often with cover do x6 12 hour shifts on the bounce but then have to take the 7th off to balance the hours.

As he is sub 3.5t he will not be subject to eu driving regs unless he is towing commercially and then requires tachograph ( exemptions apply)

Horses mouth best place for advice is government

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-a-van#how-long-you-can-drive-for

No one mentioned EU!

Try domestic

As he is sub 3.5t he will not be subject to eu driving regs unless he is towing commercially and then requires tachograph ( exemptions apply)

No one mentioned EU!

Try domestic

I believe Winston Smith mentioned eu regs

And USDAW have their own information on this subject

Drivers-hours-and-Breaks_1 (1).pdf

Guest Richzx6r

No one mentioned EU!

Try domestic

I believe Winston Smith mentioned eu regs

And USDAW have their own information on this subject

Thanks Tim I have just read it and what they are asking us to do is illegal by what that says, so I shall be using that when I have a chat to all the lads shortly :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

So I got pulled aside today from one of the managers who I have respect for and said that I was rocking the boat too much and management are getting very pissed off with me.....but I'm only making sure that the regulations are being adhered to so if that is rocking the boat then I'm guilty but he said they are thinking of taking action to shut me up......basically should I see this as they are worried that I know too much about the laws and they are worried that I will cause them a real headache.

What should I do??

Guest Richzx6r

Take a little step back!

you have given them food for thought

get other drivers on board without them knowing

be prepared to fight for your job :shock:

Hey with what I have now found out they sack me and they are in bigger trouble than they know, the dvsa will be there within hours n I'll stand outside to watch the fireworks

Guest Richzx6r

Yes but that does not put money in your pocket over Christmas. I think you are doing the right thing but look after yourself. Talk to your union, ring the union’s number don’t worry about the local rep.

Aye I'll get in contact with the union directly

Yes but that does not put money in your pocket over Christmas. I think you are doing the right thing but look after yourself. Talk to your union, ring the union’s number don’t worry about the local rep.

Aye I'll get in contact with the union directly

Phone the union and ask for the number of the full time official.

They should then arrange a meeting with your local reps. Your local reps should then cascade all information to yourselves.