Can police track thieves without number plates?

KingMilk8

Hi,

last saturday I had 4 guys try to steal my new bike, i managed to scare them off and they cowered away. one of my neighbours may have a picture or recording from their Ring doorbell, if so, the moped they got away on had no plates.

My question being; can the police use the photo or video potentially to track and identify the thieves? there were 2 on moped 2 on foot. meaning they arent far from where i live. and id like to make sure they are off the street permanently as i dont want to live in fear of being robbed/attacked.

It's worth a shot. Sometimes they are daft enough to always wear the same outfit.

But to be honest I wouldn't build your hopes up. The last time we had a break in the forensic guys left with nothing - then I found a blood soaked tissue where the intruder had cut himself climbing through the broken window. The DNA on that matched a local villian so we got a result, but it wasn't down to the police's detective skills.

Doubt very much if they can be traced from that, especially in the dark as colours won't even show up correctly. Plus no one was hurt so police interest and resources are limited anyway.

I'm afraid some places in the UK are becoming like the wild west 😨

Doubt very much if they can be traced from that, especially in the dark as colours won't even show up correctly. Plus no one was hurt so police interest and resources are limited anyway.

I'm afraid some places in the UK are becoming like the wild west 😨

Yeah thats what im thinking :( and i couldnt agree more.. teenagers are a bunch of animals nowadays.. half of these kids or 'gangsters' are just being influenced by grime music and the 'gang' lifestyle.. what do they get from it? they break a bike apart for pennies, not hundreds.. its so pointless. there are so many big groups and threats im afraid to sometimes ride at night. I always wear a gopro thats on my chin on my helmet in case of these emergencies. I just hate that i am now a target. not only me but my family. my dads left us so i am the only man in the house, and im afraid im not built to handle 4 guys god forbid if they come back again..

It's worth a shot. Sometimes they are daft enough to always wear the same outfit.

But to be honest I wouldn't build your hopes up. The last time we had a break in the forensic guys left with nothing - then I found a blood soaked tissue where the intruder had cut himself climbing through the broken window. The DNA on that matched a local villian so we got a result, but it wasn't down to the police's detective skills.

Ill go round to my neighbor tonight and query about the footage. Hopefully it catches something as i believe there was a van parked in front of it. Im going to call other shops nearby to see if they get any footage. Anything helps :/

Unfortunately the Police are not likely to act unless there is some possibility of a successful prosecution . I appreciate how you are feeling about this but you have to be realistic .