how old is old?

Pbassred

So, 13000 mile in my first year with a full A licence on a 2015 CBR500R. I bought it because I wanted to learn how to *work* a bike rather than be the guy who can't corner and just squirts down the straight. However I want to move up a size before I put too many commuter miles on it. That will probably mean an older bike.

Miles aside, how old is too old for a daily ride?

Guest Richzx6r

Well my zx6r is an 03 plate which is near on a daily commute so tbh age isn't or shouldn't be too much of the prohibitive factor more the service history of the bike your after as you could have a mint 25+year old bike of a bike that's a year old and knackered

My dad used to ride a bike that was 40 years old. Had a new engine though, tyres, chain, wheels etc too of course - all the consumable stuff. He completely overhauled the folks too, and swapped out the sub frame, and frame too. Ran great. We'll, once he'd replaced the gearbox.

My dad used to ride a bike that was 40 years old. Had a new engine though, tyres, chain, wheels etc too of course - all the consumable stuff. He completely overhauled the folks too, and swapped out the sub frame, and frame too. Ran great. We'll, once he'd replaced the gearbox.

A relief to see that the numbers plates stayed with the paperwork :lol:

In my opinion older bikes are often better built so find one that's been looked after and it's a better but than something newer.

Exactly! When I buy a Japanese bike I expect to have something built in Japan......not something put together in some third world shithole.

In my opinion older bikes are often better built so find one that's been looked after and it's a better but than something newer.

Exactly! When I buy a Japanese bike I expect to have something built in Japan......not something put together in some third world shithole.

Like Hull :?

my grandad had a broom that was sixty years old , it had 12 new handles and 16 heads, dont make stuff like they used to .

Was his name Trigger ?

My 2002 Fazer has got 52k miles, bought it at 42k, used every day, rain or shine, commuting, trips, down to Cornwall.... Apart from consumables I didn't have any issues with her. There are some spots of rust on the frame but I don't mind, its normal.