No spark Honda CG125

Have just used a 6v battery and tested ignition coil. If i earth the coil body to neg on batt and hold spark plug to body of coil. Then touch positive wire from coil to posative on batt I get a spark at plug so ignition coil is good.

maybe's we are missing something, and may have to re-install the battery into the system, just to enable a proper + and - route around the frame , seems the circuit isnt being made, as lights work off the Gen you wont need that , but maybe the Ignition Switch and possibly bypass it, the Silicon Rectifier is enable through it, dont know what you want to do with this bike , is it a full restore?

In my experience of CG 125 s with no spark it is always the generator stator windings that are at fault . Without the bike actually running , it is not possible to test the output just by kick-starting the bike . I used to send mine off to a chap in Teignmouth to have them rewound but I can't find anything about him on the net . Try this place . http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1271.html

Edited by fastbob

Ok , try this . Remove the steadying brackets from on top of the engine and scrape the paint off them and the frame where they make contact and bolt it back on again . It is actually possible that the cylinder head has no pathway to earth especially if the head gasket is of the composite type .

Have you tried holding the plug against the CRANKCASE when cranking the engine ? That head gasket looks like a pretty good insulator to me !

Screenshot_20191230-201652.thumb.png.1a1317abdaf4a596a6f10d2686f9c597.png

Edited by fastbob

Ok , something else to try . How about swapping the stator coil wires over so the top one goes to the coil and the bottom one goes to battery and lights ? I did this once and got a spark .

Polish_20191230_200603624.png.c59d23bd65f218107eb5ff2afb4bbbf5.png

Thanks. Will give it a go but before removing the head and lifting the barrel it was the black/white wire that was connected to the ignition coil and created a spark at the plug.

The only other thing i can think of is the o rings on the head bolts but its a long shot. Plus why would the black /white wire spark if coil doesn’t !!!

Beats me ! Sounds like you know your stuff so I don't know what else to suggest . I'll dig out my manual and have a think about it . What about the capacitor ?

Been looking thro the manual, and always seems to come back to the points, when you put everything back together and adjusted the contact breaker gap ,did you put the insulated washer back in the right position, I know its obvious but if your like me in the rush to get it going things can be missed :wink:

It’s got to be something obvious but the fact that the black /white wire will spark when held near the head and kicked over is making me think its not related to points ?

6v at connector on black/white wire and ignition coil checked and 100% ok. Leads me to think its when coil is bolted to frame but earthing of coil to frame checks good too.

Will try earthing coil remote from frame and kick over and see what happens.

Am very confused !!!!!!

time for some thinking outside the box. :?: the brackets that hold the coil pack to the frame should have spacers behind them so a distance is maintained between frame and HT coil. it may be possible, if you do not have the spacers, that the coil is arcing to the frame rather than at the plug, as current will take the path of least resistance