No spark Honda CG125

I am beginning to wonder if the output from the generator is incorrect even though it creates a strong blue spark.

And this is what Ive been suggesting from the start .

yes that was my thoughts, better get him in the shed to count them

WTF ? OP changed username but that isn't the issue . I think this is a 12v Brazilian model .

Screenshot_20200105-233358.thumb.png.0f3b32b27805af694fe0d3c4eaf0c4e1.png

Right , this is a 12 volt bike . I've looked at the RH crankcase cover in your photos . Let's have a photo of the battery . That's assuming it's actually got a battery . Where does it go may I ask ?

1171884283_B496B46E-5707-438D-898B-376975FF960A(1).thumb.jpeg.926a3f505bb3644f5456c3ae40802d55.jpeg

I am beginning to wonder if the output from the generator is incorrect even though it creates a strong blue spark.

Have you got the frame number ,that might at least give an idea of the frame age , (could have had an engine swap though) 6v to 1985 then 12v in the UK

Thanks for the reply.

Have set the points to correct gap and get 6v from the black /white wire. The black/white wire will spark on the rocker cover and the bracket for the ignition coil. Don’t have a ignition switch fitted so that cant be shorting out.

Before i removed the valve cover and barrel I had a strong spark !!!

Yeah , but did the engine run ?

Not sure of the year but it a old 6v version with points.

And how do you know that for sure ? In the pictures you have the angular clutch cover that was introduced on the Brazilian model and all of them were 12 volt . And , by the way , how come don't know the year ? It's on the V5 . So what's the deal here is this a field bike or something ?

The only wire connected to the ignition coil is the black/white from the generator. The coil is a single wire one and works correctly when wired to a 6v battery.

The ignition switch is not connected. And all it does is short out the spark when switched off. So with out it the bike cannot be stopped if it started.

Just to check again, do you have an ignition switch on your bike and are the wires connected, and when you measured the output from the generator did you have the multi at vdc or vac, remember the battery is DC and will produce the spark ,Generator is AC and is your Silicon/rectifier connected

Thanks for the reply.

Have set the points to correct gap and get 6v from the black /white wire. The black/white wire will spark on the rocker cover and the bracket for the ignition coil. Don’t have a ignition switch fitted so that cant be shorting out.

Before i removed the valve cover and barrel I had a strong spark !!!

No ignition switch .

If i was OP i would go back to start and redo ...

Would do as [mention]TimR[/mention] suggest and redo, dont need the battery ,but you do need the wiring circuit, if you did manage to get it going you would need to pull out the B/W wire to stop it, so Ignition switch/kill switch is needed and Silicon Rectifier or CDI and reg/rec depending on age of bike

I bought this bike as a project not running so didnt have a battery. Will go out and get the serial number from bike. Was thinking it was 6 volt due to the colour of the 4 wires from the generator.

Dont even know for sure that the parts go together.

The log book says 1996 engine no jc18e5006236

I bought this bike as a project not running so didnt have a battery. Will go out and get the serial number from bike. Was thinking it was 6 volt due to the colour of the 4 wires from the generator.

Dont even know for sure that the parts go together.

The log book says 1996 engine no jc18e5006236

The wire colours from the generator are the same on 1976 Japanese models as they are on later Brazilian models . Have you actually got a manual ? CG 125s went to 12 volt electrics in 1985 . So yours is almost certainly 12 volt and from the shape of the points backplate and the clutch cover I would say that it is a Brazilian made model . So has this bike actually been running in your presence ?

Really great full for all your help. No have never had it running. Assumed it was 6v from wire colours compared to wiring diagrams in my manual I have and have been working on that theory.

Thought i had the right coil etc as had a strong spark at plug after fitting new points. Then realised it had a new barrel fitted but no compression and had been sat idle for 10 years in the state it is now. After lifting the barrel and adding some oil to the rings they have opened up and now have compression. But have now lost the spark at the plug.

Think first of all your going to need a 12v battery (once everything is connected up) install the wiring loom , including ignition switch, (you will need that to cut supply) havent got a silicon Rectifier on this one , but has a REC/REG , and once the wiring is sorted then see if you get a spark at the plug, ( dont install battery at this point) using the kickstart ,would also check everything at the Generator is setup right and see how you go,

Looking at my manual then my generator wiring colours tie up with a CG125 BR-E/F,J AND K MODELS ?

What manual are you looking at ? I'm looking at a Haynes manual and the colours of the wires coming from the generator are all the same from 1976 to 1988 onwards . My manual was published in 1991 . I'm going to step back from this matter and leave you in the capable hands of Mr Pickwick . I think that two people trying to solve the same problem by text isn't helping . Good luck .

Well , as I say , good luck and I leave you with a picture to inspire you to complete your project . Of the eight CG125s that I rebuilt from non runners this early 6v example was my favourite .

Polish_20200106_201127341.thumb.jpg.e4810da6a834f4a90b50d731eaaa2f52.jpg