Parent Place

Moonraker

So, in the Xmas thread I stated that I had a sober Christmas and New Year because my wife was due to give birth to our first born.

Well my first born finally arrived on January 7th 2020 and we are both ecstatic, but tired. My wife more so as a complication (after the baby was delivered) required a 4 day hospital stay. She is fine and doing well, as is our daughter, but I think in the four days at hospital we got roughly....4 hours sleep each. As you may notice from the time this is posted.... we are still awake at night with the young one.

On top of this I am writing a thesis and it's due in March, so I'll be doing that at the same time as working.

So, to get my wife, our dog and I through the nights, I'd love to read others parenting things; funniest, pointers and anything topical so I can read it while our new born takes up our allotted hours of sleeping and while my dog is confused because he can here us all walking and talking but doesn't understand why we aren't out for walkies!

:cheers:

First thing.... CONGRATULATIONS to both of you.

I remember the exhaustion when our daughters were small, and one of them was born with a heart issue so we had a worrying start. Fast forward many years....at every stage there are joys and challenges but we worked at keeping our relationship good even if sometimes there was much slamming of doors and we were the strictest parents ever.

End result, they're both in their early 30s, married with jobs and their own homes, but in the past week both their cars broke down and their first port of call is still dad.

At some point when your little one is old enough to spend a weekend with grandparents make sure you and your wife have a weekend away just the two of you. It's sad how many couples lose each other through looking after children. When they leave home, and they will, you need to have your own relationship going strong.

Babies change a lot at twelve weeks and that's a brilliant moment, when their eyes can first really focus on you.

Congrats [mention]Moonraker[/mention] and Mrs Moonraker.

It does get better, it’s just the first 30 years or so. :wink:

Then she will get a bike of her own and you get to do dad and daughter ride outs. :cheers:

Congrats. Remember, you don't need to buy half the stuff the shops will try to convince you to buy. Save your money!

Buy nappies and baby wipes in bulk.

Try to get scent free nappy bags - the smell will make you want to puke after a while.

And when changing nappies, open the nappy bag and nappy and get a few wet wipes out first. Don't do what I've done and get half way through changing a nappy, go to open the nappy bag, find you can't get it open so without thinking lick your finger to make opened the bag easier!! The taste of baby poo takes a while to get out your mouth.

Congratulations :thumb:

Don't believe a word it never gets better 😁

As they grow you swap one set of problems for another, you think it's rough now, it's not, you know exactly where she is and what she's doing and she hasn't developed a will of her own, yes I'm still on about the daughter not the wife.

Get a routine as quick as you can, don't creep around trying to be quiet, that's just making a rod for your own back, rule them with a rod of iron, all kids need is love, yes to begin with they are that stupid, they will soon grow up and bleed you dry so enjoy the honeymoon period :thumb:

Right what stories do you want? Squeezing huge poo out of a bum, projectile vomiting, gastroenteritis, diarrhoea comming out of the neck of the baby grow, unforseen accidents nostradamus couldn't predict, yes being a parent is one of the hardest most stressful and enjoyable jobs going.

Love the wife, love the child, look after them both and repeat till the grandkids appear then start again.

Good luck, you don't need it but it can't do any harm

😁

I had forgotten the teething poo coming out of the top of the babygrow. My solution involved the garden hosepipe. Which worked....but 30 years later I'm still hearing about it.

Also, and this is important, never ever decide it's a good idea to cut their hair with a penknife. Women get tetchy about such matters.

And My Little Pony doesn't do well in a microwave.

When they won't stop undoing the buckle on the car seat find a suitable roundabout that enables you to turn and brake so that the child seat (with sprog still installed) ends up upside down in the passenger footwell. At this point silence will ensue because they know they've done bad but can't figure out how to get out of the situation. Find a quiet road and prolong the journey until such time as they resolve never to meddle with the car seat again.

At parents evening being able to remember the name of the young and very attractive PE teacher but not any of the other teachers does not earn you brownie points with your beloved.

If door slamming becomes overly annoying removing the spindle between the handles so they are locked in their room because they slammed the door so hard that they broke the house is worth trying.

At the stage when having learnt to speak they won't stop talking try thing them that when you are born you have only so many words held inside you. Once you've used them up you won't be able to speak again. Ever. It will get you about two weeks respite until they discover the truth. Again, expect repercussions for many years over this one.

First thing.... CONGRATULATIONS to both of you.

I remember the exhaustion when our daughters were small, and one of them was born with a heart issue so we had a worrying start. Fast forward many years....at every stage there are joys and challenges but we worked at keeping our relationship good even if sometimes there was much slamming of doors and we were the strictest parents ever.

End result, they're both in their early 30s, married with jobs and their own homes, but in the past week both their cars broke down and their first port of call is still dad.

At some point when your little one is old enough to spend a weekend with grandparents make sure you and your wife have a weekend away just the two of you. It's sad how many couples lose each other through looking after children. When they leave home, and they will, you need to have your own relationship going strong.

Babies change a lot at twelve weeks and that's a brilliant moment, when their eyes can first really focus on you.

Thank you.

I'm sure we all say it but my wife and I are pretty strong, we've had to be strong at certain tough times together, and we realise how lucky we are to have a healthy child in the first place. We have also worked as a team throughout the night so far so I'm confident we'll work well together. We are stuck with each other :D

We aren't waiting to have weekends away or trips out. National Trust Memberahip is due to be bought asap and we've got things booked in. One of those is The Clash in April (rugby, not the band), a short trip to Italy in May and brother in law is getting married in Spain in September. Lots to look forward too.

We are fascinated by her now, so we'll keep an eye out for 12 weeks.

Congrats @Moonraker and Mrs Moonraker.

Then she will get a bike of her own and you get to do dad and daughter ride outs. :cheers:

Thank you.

Ah, a long wait I see :lol:

Well to be honest I haven't been on my bike since she got pregnant essentially :cry: . I don't blame my wife - she loved being on the bike but appeared to have a mindset change when she got pregnant and how she is here, I'm "too precious to lose". This thought is influenced by news and multiple medical programs that show bikers being mangled in crashes.

However, I am optimistic that this will change and I'll get to have some leisure ride outs. :D

You can pillion a toddler, right? :shock:

Congrats. Remember, you don't need to buy half the stuff the shops will try to convince you to buy. Save your money!

Buy nappies and baby wipes in bulk.

Try to get scent free nappy bags - the smell will make you want to puke after a while.

And when changing nappies, open the nappy bag and nappy and get a few wet wipes out first. Don't do what I've done and get half way through changing a nappy, go to open the nappy bag, find you can't get it open so without thinking lick your finger to make opened the bag easier!! The taste of baby poo takes a while to get out your mouth.

Thank you.

We definitely bulk buy and I'm too cheap to buy all the stuff advertised, and I recognise some of it is pointless. I didn't have all the gimmicks as a kid and I'm still here :D

Yep, I've had multiple pleasures and smelly nappies so far, and I was lucky enough to clean up the notorious second poo. It was like cleaning up oil.

Your story genuinely made me laugh out loud, as it did my wife. I've been on search warrants to some pretty nasty places and ai learned about cleans hands and touching things in order so fingers crossed. However one sleep deprived night is all it takes, right?

Congratulations :thumb:

Don't believe a word it never gets better 😁

As they grow you swap one set of problems for another, you think it's rough now, it's not, you know exactly where she is and what she's doing and she hasn't developed a will of her own, yes I'm still on about the daughter not the wife.

Get a routine as quick as you can, don't creep around trying to be quiet, that's just making a rod for your own back, rule them with a rod of iron, all kids need is love, yes to begin with they are that stupid, they will soon grow up and bleed you dry so enjoy the honeymoon period :thumb:

Right what stories do you want? Squeezing huge poo out of a bum, projectile vomiting, gastroenteritis, diarrhoea comming out of the neck of the baby grow, unforseen accidents nostradamus couldn't predict, yes being a parent is one of the hardest most stressful and enjoyable jobs going.

Love the wife, love the child, look after them both and repeat till the grandkids appear then start again.

Good luck, you don't need it but it can't do any harm

😁

Thank you. So no joy at all then? Lol :lol:

Lol, my wife is very strong willed so I'm stuck there. It's all a journey, right? Ups and downs, tantrums, good days, bad days - and not only for me :D

We are currently dealing with this while "night and day" thing - basically kiddo thinks night time is the time to be fully awake and active, and that day time is for rest.

We all like an adventure don't we? Even if it's a tired one. I already forget out tired nights and poo filled nappies when I look at her, so all will be forgiven I'm sure.

I had forgotten the teething poo coming out of the top of the babygrow. My solution involved the garden hosepipe. Which worked....but 30 years later I'm still hearing about it.

Also, and this is important, never ever decide it's a good idea to cut their hair with a penknife. Women get tetchy about such matters.

And My Little Pony doesn't do well in a microwave.

When they won't stop undoing the buckle on the car seat find a suitable roundabout that enables you to turn and brake so that the child seat (with sprog still installed) ends up upside down in the passenger footwell. At this point silence will ensue because they know they've done bad but can't figure out how to get out of the situation. Find a quiet road and prolong the journey until such time as they resolve never to meddle with the car seat again.

At parents evening being able to remember the name of the young and very attractive PE teacher but not any of the other teachers does not earn you brownie points with your beloved.

If door slamming becomes overly annoying removing the spindle between the handles so they are locked in their room because they slammed the door so hard that they broke the house is worth trying.

At the stage when having learnt to speak they won't stop talking try thing them that when you are born you have only so many words held inside you. Once you've used them up you won't be able to speak again. Ever. It will get you about two weeks respite until they discover the truth. Again, expect repercussions for many years over this one.

That penknife story was proper hilarious, as was the hosepipe.

My wife is a deputy head teacher (primary school) and I've met her teacher friends many times and so I dont think I can forget names if I tried. Although I'm sure she'd pick up pretty quickly if I remembered a name too well.

I love the little stories to tell children to try and keep them quiet or to get them to behave. The only one I have stored so far is, when kiddo is of an age to understand, to tell her that we need to leave beer and pizza (or wings) out for santa. Not milk and cookies. :cheers:

Congratulations mate.

I'd love to reel off some great stories and sage advice but I'm far too knackered and not functioning correctly due to having a 12 week old and a 2.5 year old plus studying and work...

Just do the best you can for baby and your other half and it'll turn out fine. :thumb:

Edit: Actually, one thing... try and give the baby a bottle feed every day if you can, whether it be expressed or powder because the day will come when your Mrs will want to go out for the day and the last thing you want is a hungry, screaming baby who won't take a bottle. [/bitter experience]

Congratulations to you. The tiredness thing is real. Mine are 3 and 5 and I have not slept through more than one night on the trot for over five years. The thing about the tiredness is the impact on relationships. Things that might not have mattered too much really do when you are tired. Try to always give each other the benefit of the doubt.

There are steps where it gets easier, 6 weeks is the first, it will change, it will not always be hard in the way it currently is.

Sounds like you have the rewards already happening, it’s not only hard. Don’t be afraid to ask questions anonymously on Mumsnet. But do filter the responses. I found reading around attachment helpful. Reusable nappies are not as difficult as they seem if you have a tumble dryer.

Enjoy watching what you like on the telly whilst they don’t get it. I really enjoyed watching Pulp fiction with my daughter when she was about 12 months old when I realised she was starting to watch the tv so my last chance. CBeebies since then.

It’s okay tI it hard and not to.

Congrats @Moonraker and Mrs Moonraker.

Thank you.

Ah, a long wait I see :lol:

Well to be honest I haven't been on my bike since she got pregnant essentially :cry: . I don't blame my wife - she loved being on the bike but appeared to have a mindset change when she got pregnant and how she is here, I'm "too precious to lose". This thought is influenced by news and multiple medical programs that show bikers being mangled in crashes.

However, I am optimistic that this will change and I'll get to have some leisure ride outs. :D

You can pillion a toddler, right? :shock:

NO..... that’s what panniers and top boxes are for. :D

424D7D62-4789-44FC-9738-9B8E8A6CFE38.jpeg.6f693b96e01b24086ce8882f1f72a452.jpeg

If you bottle feed your baby you can't go far wrong with Les Dawson's advice:

"If they squirm when you stick the teet in, you've probably got them the wrong way round."

Lol, good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

Congratulations mate.

I'd love to reel off some great stories and sage advice but I'm far too knackered and not functioning correctly due to having a 12 week old and a 2.5 year old plus studying and work...

Just do the best you can for baby and your other half and it'll turn out fine. :thumb:

Edit: Actually, one thing... try and give the baby a bottle feed every day if you can, whether it be expressed or powder because the day will come when your Mrs will want to go out for the day and the last thing you want is a hungry, screaming baby who won't take a bottle. [/bitter experience]

I know the feeling. My work is full on let alone the studying on top of it.

Thanks for the bottle advice. I'll keep it in mind.