Filtering Poll

Guest toothe

<t>who filters and where?</t>  

32 members have voted

1. 1. who filters and where?

• Only on the left hand side of stationary traffic.
    • Only down the center of multi lane roads when traffic is stopped.
    • if its safe and i stick to the 20 20 rule.
    • never
    • Any time i can.

Rarely - but when I do I will go through any space in static traffic if it helps my progress (left or right of line of traffic) but I am always cautious approaching lights, junctions or crossings.

Never go more than 20MPH faster than the traffic.

Never filter through traffic doing 20MPH or more.

To be fair it's more of a guide than a rule but a good one for all that.

Ah thanks.

A couple of days ago I was going down a 40mph road that was turning into a 30mph in a 100m. A 1000cc triumph came down my left and 'filtered' past me and 2 lorries using the bus lane. I would consider this rather dangerous as if you hadn't have checked your mirrors you wouldn't have seen him.

Would you agree, or am I just being overly cautious?

Well it was me who put never. My view is seeing as I have only been riding for 2-3 months I don't consider myself to have enough experience. Secondly, my bike hasn't got the power to get out of any sticky situations. And thirdly, there is hardly ever any congestion in York anyway!

never go past traffic doing 20mph and never exceed 20mph than the traffic.

couple of people dont filter.. why is this?

I wouldn't say I don't................but i rarely filter.

As to why........

lack of confidence and experience, and the fact i've been driving for too many years..............I'm used to being stuck behind the traffic in the car so I don't automatically filter.

:lol: :wink: :lol:

yeah, when i first started riding i never filtered, but now it cuts 20 mins each way off my journey. this morning dual carridgeway came to a stand still. i used middle lan to go 3 miles. never exceeded 10-15 mph and most cars moved over for me (either they are biker friendly or they didnt want me sratch there cars either way i got the desired effect) cut about 5 minutes or so just on that little leg of the journey. unsure if its easier on a bigger bike as there is more bike and more weight.

yeah, when i first started riding i never filtered, but now it cuts 20 mins each way off my journey. this morning dual carridgeway came to a stand still. i used middle lan to go 3 miles. never exceeded 10-15 mph and most cars moved over for me (either they are biker friendly or they didnt want me sratch there cars either way i got the desired effect) cut about 5 minutes or so just on that little leg of the journey. unsure if its easier on a bigger bike as there is more bike and more weight.

the difference is I rarely get traffic on the way to work, there's occasionally traffic on my way home...............but i tend to sit and wait, or re-route onto the dual drag. The number of times I do filter is increasing as is my confidence...............it's just me!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Well it was me who put never. My view is seeing as I have only been riding for 2-3 months I don't consider myself to have enough experience. Secondly, my bike hasn't got the power to get out of any sticky situations. And thirdly, there is hardly ever any congestion in York anyway!

I believe that Police riders don't include filtering as part of their basic training because it's too risky. They leave it until they are more experienced.

didnt know that, mind police have bikes that are huge with so much gear.

So do I but that's not the reason for their cautiousness, there are so many prangs while passing standing traffic some countries have banned it - the USA for one.

Always filter check situations as arise..have even filtered on motorway!

But wherever possible its down right hand side of traffic...but will go down middle on multi lane carriageways.

Filter to front of queues etc.

jeeez I need to get from one side of Hull to the other in "rush-hour" traffic.

If I didn't filter

(yelling outa-my-way idiots)

I'd never get anywhere :twisted:

Sorry only kidding about the yelling ... well sort of Kidding :oops:

In Hull motorbikes can travel in the bus lane but you have to be so very careful of cars deciding to left turn and not checking their mirror :evil:

I was taught - rightly or wrongly- that you can only filter on the right hand side of a lane of traffic. In other words never "undertake" as that is illegal.

I am aware mopeds especially do it because that it where pushbikes travel, but I think that is more scary than bunny hopping down the centre.

One of the reasons to ride a bike if you ask me " scuse me, coming through" Tho I'm always polite and never try to squeeze through, I've seen idiots trying to rip off wing mirrors, kicking at cars etc just because the cars are a little too close. That just buggers it right up for the next biker that comes across a very miffed car driver

Edited by DutchMick

Rosie undertaking apparently is now illegal just not advisable. basically you can undertake same as you can filter if you dont put yourself or other road users at risk.

yeah think its the biggest plus :)