Filtering Poll

Guest toothe

<t>who filters and where?</t>  

32 members have voted

1. 1. who filters and where?

• Only on the left hand side of stationary traffic.
    • Only down the center of multi lane roads when traffic is stopped.
    • if its safe and i stick to the 20 20 rule.
    • never
    • Any time i can.

Things is - if nobody teaches how to filter properly (say as part of the DAS), how do you guys learn to do it and when do you start? For example, how do you know if the opportunity to filter is right if you haven't done it before?

If cars sit in the outside lane and dont moveover they should get done if seen not people getting pi$$ed off and undertaking!

just don't mention outside lane of a motorway aaaaaarrrggggghhhh :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

*goes to calm down*

sorry :D

Undertaking - I have done and will do this in the following circumstances;

If Johnny Head-up-ass is doing 60ish and there's plenty of room ahead, or my lane is clear I will happily pass on the nearside.

If stopped by HM finest I can argue that I was obeying the Highway Code Rule 163, and that the traffic was slower in the outside lane than in mine.

Some Ecilops will claim 'dangerous' or 'reckless' driving but as long as I wasn't exceeding the posted limit I should be in the clear.

Things is - if nobody teaches how to filter properly (say as part of the DAS), how do you guys learn to do it and when do you start? For example, how do you know if the opportunity to filter is right if you haven't done it before?

might be an idea to sort a meet to demonstrate filtering as this topic is frequently cropping up

You dont get shown how to go on, on a motorway you learn through experiance unfortunatly!

It boils down to you own confidence and nachine control.

To be fair these days I have seen a marked improvement on car drivers movingover to let you through.

People in cars should be told about bike awareness while theyre learning to drive.

France and Germany are the best countries for bike awareness that I've personally rode in. Cars just get out of your way while filtering and on the motorway they see you coming from miles away and get over to the right sharpish to let you through. Italy is a feckin nightmare, NOBODY gets out of your way, the whole country is a racetrack and everybody wants to win. Good laugh though if you survive.

Well it was me who put never. My view is seeing as I have only been riding for 2-3 months I don't consider myself to have enough experience. Secondly, my bike hasn't got the power to get out of any sticky situations. And thirdly, there is hardly ever any congestion in York anyway!

Try the A1237 ring road on Saturday, thank god for filtering :lol:

It's the same here - when they see you coming they move over to the right 8)

But we drive on the left over here, tricky bunch of foreigners. Can't wait to get to England, done it a couple of times but every morning I really had to think about what side of the road I should be on :wink:

Guest philgale

i filter when ever it is safe to do so....whats the point in having a bike and sitting in traffic...sod that

20/20 nar....i have filtered at 40 before....on a motorway :oops: :oops:

Lol be behind me when I get into a nark lol.

Erm I mean yes i filter, followed fellow members who are really good at it; one who shall remane nameless is nuts lol (you know who you are ex courier you!).

I dont as a rule undertake filtering as its just too dangerous but yup will round the outside, weve gone between the lanes on a dual carriageway leading up to roadworks, had a great laugh following a police car making way for us.

But on the whole do so with great care, dont wanna bend the bike so if it looks dangerous to do it probably is. 8)

Carefully but most definately...

Last time I was on the M5 and it was at a standstill for about 30 miles... We weren't.... :D

Full wide luggage and all... :twisted:

BUT.... Never filter on the left !!!!!! Your not supposed to pass on the left ever so people don't look for you...

Very dangerous....

I filter if I feel safe to do so, motorways usually between lanes 2 and 3. I agree with the first part of 20:20 not sure about the second. I've filtered at 50 or 60! :oops: it is an experience thing and is also tiring i often pull into gap for a rest or wait for mates to catch up then go again. filtered most of the way home from dover once, knackered! :lol:

Guest nigelf
didnt know that, mind police have bikes that are huge with so much gear.

even with the wing, I filter with the 20 20 rule - never split lanes on motorways unless they are stationary.

its a bugger out here in the USA with no filtering you can see why they ride the harleys, no need for speed !!!!

Elf

I filter whwnever I can at a speed I think sensible, ie 20mph with stationary traffic and 20mph faster than slow moving traffic.

I NEVER filter on the left!!

When I use the M25, you have to do it!

Always filter check situations as arise..have even filtered on motorway!

But wherever possible its down right hand side of traffic...but will go down middle on multi lane carriageways.

Filter to front of queues etc.

Doesn't everyone :roll:

I rode my first bike years ago in the states and filtering isn't legal like it is here (at least in Florida where I grew up - every state is potentially different). When I first started riding in the UK ~6 months ago, I wasn't confident filtering ever - I even tried it a few times and it didn't feel right. :oops:

Lately as I've gained confidence riding in traffic more (mostly from a fair amount of miles during a temporary commute a few days per week to Sheffield from Manchester), I've started filtering more. I generally only go on the right side and preferrably if there are two lanes going in my direction, or if the lane is wide, and the traffic is stopped.

It is a bit addictive if it can be safely done... One place I love to do it now is at a congested roundabout on my route where I pass a huge queue and slip in right at the turn-off. Muahahaha. :twisted:

I don't take every opportunity to filter though - sometimes if there isn't a clear gain to be made, like getting to the front of a queue at a light, I just relax and sit there. :D

As far as I'm aware filtering is not Illegal. Not something I've looked into in great depth but I'd put a fiver on it there is no law against it. :wink:

don't think anyone said it was illegal drew......not in uk anyway.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: